Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Hydration on long solo road rides
  • DT78
    Free Member

I’ve been doing a century a month so far, been fine with 3 750ml bottles and starting well hydrated. Now the weather is a little warmer I’m wondering how other serious roadies stay hydrated? I don’t see any riding with camelbaks or when looking at strava any significant stopping time?

The best I can come up with is stopping at garages, but I’d be worried about the bike being nicked whilst buying water..

Maybe they know where public taps are?

monksie
    Free Member

I get water from the garages. If I’m worried about the bike, I put it where I can see it from the shop, helmet strap through spokes and if possible around something on the forecourt. My theory being, I will see somebody bending down at my bike before they can grab it and ride off. Also flick the levers when I get off so that the chain will crunch if somebody does try to ride off on it. Having said that, I’ve not had a single worrying moment in years of riding.

scotroutes

Camp sites are a good place to find drinking water – especially in the middle fo the night when everything else is closed.

steezysix
    Free Member

Sounds creepy, but a lot of churches will have taps outside somewhere for watering the plants in graveyards. I’ve done this quite a few times when touring in the UK and in Europe.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Normally get the bottle filled up at a cafe with a coffee and a bun. Far prefer real food to ‘energy’ food.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I just go into a village shop and buy some drink. Never thought this a problem. Carrying 3 big bottles seems a bit much. Once one is empty I keep an eye open for a shop.

fasthaggis

I take two full bottles and some spare tablets in a pocket.
    If you are worried about leaving your bike(even for a short while) ,take a bit of cable and a small shackle(replace shackle pin with and allen bolt).You don’t need much more than something to slow down an opportunist thief.

Superficial
    Free Member

You know that Strava automatically stops the clock when you stop?

njee20
    Free Member

You know that Strava automatically stops the clock when you stop?

No it doesn’t – you can see stops.

butcher

I just go to shops or garages. Leave bike directly outside window and you can keep an eye on it the whole time. Given the security and surveillance at most garages, I reckon the chances of your bike being taken or pretty slim anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pub while you have your mid ride pie and pint.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

For a solo non stop century I make sure I am well hydrated, carry 2 750ml bottles and taken it easy.

stevious

Garages, peoples outdoor taps, shops, pubs. Once just got given a bottle of water by a motorist when I stopped in a car park to check the map.

butcher

I did a reasonably flat century ride on two bottles a few weeks back, and the last 20 miles were hellish. I thought I was going OK until then. Worst thing was, I actually stopped at a garage at the 20 mile to go mark (OK, maybe it was about 24…I like to tell myself there’s only 20!) I popped in, thinking great, I need some water. Walked out with a can of Dr Pepper – after all there were only 20 miles left, and I thought I’d treat myself. I was cursing approximately 3 minutes later once I’d finished it. Spoiled the ride really. Like being on a liquid bonk.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve done a few centuries this year and never taken more than one 750ml bottle. At the start I fill the bottle with 2 x high 5 tabs and water then make sure I have a few quid too buy the cheapest Isotonic bottles from the Spar. I did 109 miles yesterday and spent around £1.10.

pmf170170
    Free Member

If all else fails, simply knock on someone’s door and ask them if they would be so kind as to fill your bottles for you.

Aidan
    Free Member

I’ve used and added taps to this Android app:

http://wetap.org/

It shows you public tap locations on google maps, so that can help with forward planning. Other than that, improvise like the people above.

Don’t most petrol stations have an outside tap anyway?

I set off on a three hour ride once after forgetting to fill my bottles.
    I just waited until I saw someone in their front garden and asked if I could use their outside tap.

MoreCashThanDash

Why would you not stop at a cafe when on a long ride ……?

#doesnotunderstandthequestion

I do carry a small Abus cafe lock in case I need to deter casual thieves at shops or cafes as well.

mooman
    Free Member

I always set off with 2 bottles on a long ride. One 750mm & a 500mm ( can’t fit 750mm bottle on down tube cos frames too small ).
    If weather not too hot, then that’s enough for a century ride.
    Sometimes though I will have to stop in a garage or shop. Worse case scenario has been bringing bike just inside door .. never had anybody complain as long as you smile and ask them in a friendly way if it’s ok.

kcal

Hydration / mineral tablets are a boon as well I find, seem to reduce the need to take on huge amounts of fluid – doesn’t remove but does reduce the “must drink more water” feeling..

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m an avid Church go’er me.

I set off on long rides with only one 750ml bottle, call me a dick/ponce/prancing horse/idiot/fashion victim/support car refugee..

I then stop at Churchs, often there is a tap (mentioned) near the rear of the building in the edge of the graveyard for folks to water flowers/plants etc. And this trick has been the saviour for me on hot rides for years.
    Failing that I stop off at Garages, if you ask nicely they let you take your bike in and I’ve never known anyone refuse a request so far, often you get a “how far you been?” question too. failing that by Law all Garages should have a tap available for the Firebrigade (BIL is a Fireman) and I’ve used this if I can’t be bothered to go into the shop.
    I have filled out of running streams before now. Most in the South Downs run over chalk and you can see how clear and running the water is, haven’t died yet.
    Sometime I take tabs with me, but I’ve tended not to these days.

So as an example yesterday I did Raphas “Hell of the North” 100k’s. Starting in Highgate running up into Herts and back to Barnet. It was hot, I took one bottle (normal) and found two Garages along the route and filled up along the way, took my bike in one, found the tap at the other.

I never drink fizzy “pop” Coke/Dr Pepper/Lemonade no nothing, does my gut in. I can see why folks do it, sugary sweetness and all that but as mentioned above I too fall fowl to the suger overload and almost vom.

Stopping off at Pubs and Cake holes is a no no for me too. I’m out to race and pace myself not hang around chatting about what tyres or pressures I’m using, what bar tape or even discuss tan lines. I hate that type of banter, pretentious wannabies.

HTH

scotroutes

I guess it must get tiring for you if the only topic of conversation you have in your repertoire is cycling.

Different people have different preferences shock.
    If I’m out for a ride, then I just want to keep going, with a flying stop to refill a bottle if needed.
    It’s the inevitable mid ride cafe or pub stops that put me off club rides.

DT78
    Free Member

People really go out on centuries with one bottle? Guidance seems to be 1 litre per hour, so unless you guys are much much faster than me that’s at least 6 to 7 stops to refill on route.

As for stopping in pubs and cafés. Yes, if I am with someone else, but these rides I’m on my own and would rather just ride and spend more time with the family when I’ve finished.

I have a little cable lock I’ll can take with me for peace of mind when using a garage.

I’ve used Icecream vans in the new forest before but they have a tendency to move or not be there all the time.

I’ll take a look at the map, thanks for the link.

Yak

As above – churches, graveyards etc. Riding in France is particularly easy for this. Every town/ village has a little walled cemetery with a tap or well at the entrance. Just roll up, fill up and off. No faff.

Here, a little bit of hunting round the back of a church for the gardeners tap is often needed. Still not much faff and most villages have a church.

Golf courses are another one. There’s usually a tap outside for the golfers to wash their balls (fnarr, fnarr).
    And railway stations. Assuming there’s no barrier to get on to the platform, you can probably get away with taking your bike in to the toilet and filling your bottle at the sink if it’s not busy.

RustySpanner

*prepares to run away* 😀

bikebuoy, If it’s all about the racing, why not enter a race instead of a sportive?

*runs away*

scotroutes

I used to ride with someone who followed that advice. We were always stopping for pee breaks.

simondbarnes

Stopping off at Pubs and Cake holes is a no no for me too. I’m out to race and pace myself not hang around chatting about what tyres or pressures I’m using, what bar tape or even discuss tan lines. I hate that type of banter, pretentious wannabies.

You sound like a barrel of laughs 😉

simondbarnes

Oh and to answer the OP, I take a couple of bottles and then stop at garages, pubs, village shops, cafes or ice cream vans to get a drink/bite to eat as needed.

jameso

macavity, interesting link there – http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/04/hydration-for-cyclists-how-important-is-it-really/.

“And it remains unknown whether or not athletes need to drink more than they instinctively would in order to maximise performance for events longer than two hours.”

I’ve found that eating small amounts of low GI food every ~45 mins helps my 6-8hr+ performance compared to larger amounts every 2hrs or so, but water volume doesn’t make any appreciable difference, more than ~300-400ml an hour and it just cycles through. Esp after good coffee. Good hydration with the meal after a ride helps with digestion (and perhaps recovery/rehydration) though. On a multi-day ride I’d make more effort not to dry out too much and just use obvious signs when you pee as a warning, nothing more.

DT78
    Free Member

Interesting links, to be fair I don’t adhere to the 1 bottle per hour rule, on a hardish hot 3hour/50miler 2 x 750 is fine for me, and I’ll finish a bit dehydrated, so far on cool 7hr/100miler 3 x 750 has been okay.

A single bottle though must mean a good few stops scrounging round for water in a 7hr ride.

timb34
    Free Member

Some of the stuff I’ve read recently (especially from Ross Tucker & Tim Noakes) has been pretty conclusive that it’s worse to drink too much compared to too little – Noakes’ recommodation is to never exceed 650ml/hour, even in the hottest conditions (ignore stats from the Tour de France etc – when it’s reported that riders have been through 12l a day they’ve chucked at least half of that over their heads to cool down).

However, the advice to “drink to thirst” is pretty hard to follow, especially if you’ve spent a few years training yourself to have sips of liquid every few minutes it’s difficult to know what proper thirst feels like!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I use a hydration pack.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’m atrocious for drinking whilst riding, so anything under an 80 miler on a non-baking hot day is a 1-bottler anyway.

I usually stop at village shops for food and drink, as and when I need it. Leave the bike somewhere where I can see it from inside, or take it in with me if it’s something bigger like a Co-op.

JoB
    Free Member

i never realised it was so complicated

one large bottle, stop briefly at taps behind pubs/garages/churches/village halls for water, drink when thirsty

been doing this for 30+ years, for rides of anything up to 120 miles, sometimes run out of water, kept going, haven’t died because of it yet

hora
    Free Member

I’m ‘new’ to this but on really hot summer day rides on the mtn bike I’ve always planned to – avoid alcohol the night before, drink lots of water two days upto and……ride as early as humanly possibly in the morning.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    *prepares to run away*

bikebuoy, If it’s all about the racing, why not enter a race instead of a sportive?

*runs away*

Done enough Racing thanks, now I just ride.

I’m a **** really, I know that. I just have a few riding mates who ride similar to me and you know what, we ride well together, when they’re not around or I’m not at home I ride alone…

I have to point out that this mentality I have has been born out of years ridng/racing on the front pulling others along only for other guys to claim the glory at the end, I’m still a bit pissed off about that time in my life. :mrgreen:

I just like to crack on, soft peddling when I want to and rocking out when I want to 😆

Don’t let that put you off me please 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Hydration on long solo road rides’ is closed to new replies.