Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hybrids like this please
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Brother is planning C2C next year. He did a 73 mile ride over a weekend recently on his old GT full sus bike and it was (understandably) hard work. He never took it out of the middle ring, so wish list for more suitable bike goes like this…

Budget is about £300 plus whatever he gets for the GT (£100 to £150?).
    Rigid forks
    Single ring on the front
    Semi-slick tyres (wider than road bike type of thing)
    Hydraulic disc brakes
    Alfine (this may be a wish too far and he only wants this because ‘it looks nice and clean’. 🙄 )

So far I’ve found the Pinnacle Lithium series and the Norco Indie. Anything else I’m missing here?

Thanks!

Dickyboy

I’ve been looking at similar – but not with single ring on the front?

He might be able to find a Kona Big Rove AL or Kona Rove AL at the top of that price range?

tjagain

anything in the edinburgh bike co op range? they used to do a bike that meets the spec

ampthill

Default for this type of bike is Evans Hybrids. Although with more chain rings. Mate bought one and thinks its great

I think this is £405. Last years Lithium

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A secondhand Cannondale Trail 29er with rigid fork. I got mine in the classifieds and it is ossum.

kimbers

cable discs, which are much better than i thought theyd be
    wheels are a bit heavy, but bombproof

but ive got a 2015 one and its been brilliant

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kona-dew-plus-2016/

bails

I think Voodoo do something like that. £20 gets you BC membership which means a 10% discount at Halfords.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Canyon have some of their Urban and Fitness bikes in their outlet store, but might be a bit over budget.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I have a Lithium for commuting and I love it. Deore brakes and other bits. Takes guards and decent sized tyres. 2×10.
    I’d check the gearing for touring though.

velomanic
    Free Member

Orbea Carpe 30 is worth a look, it’s not Alfine but ticks the rest of the boxes…

ciquta
    Free Member

Cube Hyde Pro

Moe

I have a Giant Seek 0 I will no longer need after December 8th, standard plus full guards and rack. Avid hydraulic discs, 8 speed Alfine. Excellent bike but I’ll no longer need to commute on road so will be going.

onandon
    Free Member

Search for a cannondale badboy on eBay.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Voodoo Marasa
    Pinnacle Ramin 1
    Boardman Hybrid

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

As mentioned above, Edinburgh Bikes Courier

jameso

Spec ticks, but a little over budget at £600

Northwind

Some of the Boardmans will fit the bill (other than alfine) but you’d have to be careful on tyre clearance- it varies from model to model. Mine (a Hybrid Pro from about 2011 I think) takes 35s with mudguards no problem.

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks all. He’s honed in on a couple on eBay. There’s a few good options here though.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Has anyone got one of those Hoys jameso posted? I like the look of them but can’t help thinking the small-looking chainring means it will be a bit under-geared.

dai3015
    Free Member

Definitely consider a Voodoo Marasa – doesn’t meet the Alfine or single ring criteria but is so adaptable – from road going hybrid to being a rigid 29er

monkeychild
    Free Member

I bought a used Pinnacle Lithium and I have to say that it’s a bloody great bike. All the right mounting points for stuff, hydro discs and it’s comfy to ride.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hybrids like this please’ is closed to new replies.