Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hybrid type bike for parent of female persuasion. Suggestions?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

So Father’o’mine is suggesting we buy mother dearest a bike so he can bully her in to going cycling with him. To be honest it’s only likely to be used on the canals and local country lanes etc etc so I was thinking of some form of hybrid with maybe a little bit of front suspension. Something fairly relaxed riding position wise rather than a full mtb geo.

Don’t really want to buy her a BSO but would like to keep it under 4-500 if possible.

Anyone got any recommendations? Or better still seem any deals / sale bikes? Would prefer new as I’m buying it while I’m in oz so can’t view etc.

Many Ta’s

munrobiker
    Free Member

Giant are best for this, they do a range called the Escape which my wife and mum both use.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Been looking at he Whyte All terrains but a bit over the price range unfortunately. But something in that general scheme of things would be good!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, I’d be looking at a Giant for this as well.

Marin certainly used to make some excellently framed ladies hybrids around that price bracket as well(Kentfield?), lovely light frames that ride really well, but am not totally sure what their distribution/stock status is like in the wake of leaving ATB.

So, have a good look at Giant. As above, the Escape range are excellent, comfy and well equipped.

For example;

450GBP. Women’s geometry, and fully equipped.

timmys

Sounds like the kind of thing the Isla Bikes adult model is designed for;

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn29.html

No experience of them myself.

pondo

+1 for the Escape, Mrs Pondo and her sister both have one, Mrs Pondo’s has done a few miles (Bristol-Bath-Bristol, and many miles on Il de Re and Il d’Oleron), fine for tow paths and Blue routes up Cannock and FoD. Comfy and does the job, unspectacular but reliable, mudguards and a rack – what more do you need? 🙂

Never really bought into suspension on a hybrid. Nor disks, really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

All the decent brands are good – I can’t see how Giant are significantly better than others, and I sell them.

Suspension adds weight which puts many casual cyclists off.

£400 will get you a good bike, I am partial to Specialized Vitas and Ariels.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Thanks for the pointers I’ll have a look at the Giants and Specs of this world.

I was only thinking of some front forks to give her a bit of an easier ride as she top side of 60 and has had shoulder and elbow issues before.

Probably looking for a not quite completely step through model.

Have seen a Whyte Malvern at £500 down from 650 which looks pretty good but not sure if it might be bit too good for the use it’ll get!

http://www.whytebikes.com/2014/product.php?xProd=41&xSec=155

I might be biased towards the Whyte as I just bought a Montpellier Fast Urban and its ace!

cynic-al
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy – Member

Have seen a Whyte Malvern at £500 down from 650 which looks pretty good but not sure if it might be bit too good for the use it’ll get!

Which of course doesn’t apply to any of the bikes owned on here 😉

stumpy01

My sister has got a Spesh Vita and really likes it.

I had a whizz up and down the road on it while getting her gears sorted out and it was pretty good to ride.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hybrid type bike for parent of female persuasion. Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.