Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hybrid/MTB gearing for my Hybrid. Will I die?
  • Matt24k
    Free Member

Hybrid road bike has 10 speed compact double 34-50 with Tiagra 4700 Shifter and Mech up front with matching Tiagra 10 speed 11-34 on the back.

I want to fit an XT M8000 11 speed 11-40 rear cassette using an XT M8000 shifter and a medium cage XT M8000 rear mech.  I already have the XT bits on an under utilised MTB.

Any reasons why it won’t work?

I’m sure that plenty will wonder why and suggest manning up but that’s not the topic for discussion. Thanks.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I think you’ll need the long cage mech, but it should work

vincienup
    Free Member

If I’ve understood properly, the rear Tiagra is all coming off so remaining 4700 components will be front mech and shifter plus the double?  In that situation so long as you have the longer M8000 cage you’re golden.

Medium M8000 is for all 1x configurations and Long for anything else- double, triple etc.

lovewookie

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

suggests that MTB 10 speed mechs won’t work with 10 spd road shifters.

the cassette gaps between sprockets is the same for road and MTB, but the road mechs require 2.3mm cable pull to shift the gap and mtb require 3.4mm. so pairing an MTB mech with a road shifter will mean you’ll not have enough cable pull per click for a full shift.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Yes the rear Tiagra kit is all being swapped for XT M8000 GS mech, cassette and shifter. If I understand correctly the GS mech will work with 1×11 and 2×11 but an SGS is needed for 3×11. As soon as my longer chain has arrived I will report back.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Sorry Lovewooki post crossed so my response above was to Vincienup.

I am fitting all XT for the rear including the XT shifter so it shouldn’t be an issue as long as the mech cage can cope with the compact double up front.

The front mech and shifter will remain Tiagra.

lovewookie

sorry, re read and yes, I thought you were going to use a road shifter with the mtb rear mech.

new glasses please.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps. Glad to report it all works perfectly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hybrid/MTB gearing for my Hybrid. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.