• This topic has 52 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by toby1.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Hut slippers
  • MoreCashThanDash

Thinking of the impending winter of working from home with the thermostat down, and it’s my feet that get cold first.

Are insulated “hut slippers” a possible solution? Obviously with warm socks, blanket over legs, extra jumpers etc.

BoardinBob

I have North Face ones. They’re great. Very toasty

CountZero

You could always get a cat, train it to sleep on your feet…

MoreCashThanDash

Thems the ones that FB ads was waving under my nose

MoreCashThanDash

You could always get a cat, train it to sleep on your feet…

If you think you can train a cat, you’re just fooling yourself….🤣

DickBarton

I’m not a slipper wearer – absolutely hate them as they tend to make my feet really sweaty. However, I’m also all for not switching the heating on so I was in Morrisons last night and bought a pair of slippers for a tenner – and they have made a big difference. So despite not liking wearing slippers, I’m finding they seem to be working. Suspect there are plenty of slipper solutions, but these things for a tenner has meant I’m happy not go looking for anything fancier or more expensive.

matt_outandabout

They are warm. But I find my nice John Lewis felt slippers as warm and less sweaty.

Mrs_oab swears by her Sorel’s for similar warm but not sweaty natural materials.

jezzasnr

Gumbies – Brumby
    One of my best purchases from the last 12 months. Just switching back to them from summer Flip Flops
    Men's Brumby Boot

endoverend

Look at Teva ReEmbers. More of a sole than hut slippers, so a bit more robust. I have some, they are v. comfy, warm. You’ll be bang on trend too.

petrieboy

Had longer felt clogs were what came up here back in the big 2020 everyone’s WFH chat

I find anything synthetic to sweaty on my feet. These have a nice cork base to insulate you from the floor and a sole sufficient for taking the bins out (one must never step foot over the threshold of one’s private land tho – that would be a bit Asda

Other than when it’s been really hot, mine have been in use practically constantly since March 2020

Haflinger Clogs Grizzly Torben Graphite

frogstomp

Teva Ember tent mocs here too (maybe called ReEmbers now?). Warm and have lasted way better than others I’ve tried.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Nordisk Hermod down slippers here:
    https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Nordisk_Hermod_Down_Insulated_Camping_Slippers_UK_6-8_Bungy_Cord-(295616)
    Prices look to have gone up since its gotten colder. Wearing them now…comfy

MoreCashThanDash

Have gone for some Rab ones, hoping for toasty warm toes

theotherjonv

proper decent cricket socks – 2 pairs on rotations (without shoes they can do 2-3 days each time) with the benefit they are great for epic skids across the laminate

richardkennerley

How’s about these bad boys?

Komfies

nt80085

Can highly recommend the Keen Howser II slipper.

Ambrose

I’ve been through a couple of pairs of North Face ones, but both pairs they across the ball of the foot. Now I use (don’t shoot me) Lidl’s fleece-lined Crocs look-a-likes. Last forever, can be used indoors and out and fully machine washable. Standard bothy wear – they are ridiculously light so easy to transport. Also double up for stream crossings.

About £14ish I seem to remember.

timmycee
    Free Member

Picked up a pair of Merrel HutMocs on sale a few weeks ago. Super comfy, plenty warm, decent enough sole to wear popping to the shops or between the front door and the car and round the office. Looks definitely polarise opinion but I kind of love the Tellytubbies lost property basket/gorpcore vibes.

jam-bo

Just bought some keen howsers.

dyna-ti
    binners

I have North Face ones. They’re great. Very toasty

Seconded. Like sleeping bags for your feet.

As we’re all going to be be bankrupt this winter if we put our heating on for more than 3 minutes, this seems like a good idea

Northwind

I’ve got some super cheap ones from Matalan, lovely. They’re not hut slippers, though, just big toasty furry boot things.

Thing is, I got hut slippers/camp shoes initially, because I didn’t want to admit that I wanted slippers. But they were just a gateway drug really- they were quite expensive for what they are, and they tend to have not much/no real sole, and a bunch of the budget goes on packability (and logos obviously) but that also tends to make them delicate. Most of that just makes them less good for around the house. Mine have enough (waterproof) sole to go and put the bins out or whatever, they’re bulky but it doesn’t matter, and they’re super warm, seem hardwearing and cost a tenner.

They do make me look slightly like the goon from popeye, though.

Ambrose

I get it now. It’s not hut slippers people are after, it’s ‘lifestyle slippers’. If only you could get them with a VW logo 😉

CountZero

If you think you can train a cat, you’re just fooling yourself….

Yeah, well I know that, the real trick is getting the cat to do it thinking it’s training you to let it sleep on your feet…

My winter ‘slippers’, which I’m wearing now, are the felt boot liners from a pair of Meindle Canadian winter boots. They have a hard plastic sole to allow them to be worn outside if necessary, plus I added felt insoles, plus a pair of comfort insoles, because they’re a bit thin on the bottom. I keep meaning to contact Meindle to see if they’re available on their own, it would be nice to have a spare pair.

Having them come up to mid-calf helps keep them snug as well.

CountZero

Can’t find the Meindle liners available separately, although it might be possible to get some directly, Lundhags do some, which are similar, but they just have a flat felt sole, there’s no shaped plastic outsole to enable them to be worn on a wet surface outside the main boot. The problem with other felt boot liners I’ve seen is there’s a raised seam right up the centreline of the foot, right where there might be pressure, although if they’re just being worn as slippers it wouldn’t matter; I just find it a bit ugly. Mine have a moccasin-style foot, which is nicer finished and just neater looking

qwerty
    Free Member

After numerous pairs of TNF & Nordisk which have all eventually worn through on the sole I’ve upped my slipper game to TNF Traction Mules which have a proper sole on the bottom paired with down sleeping bags for my feet. The rubber sole is a great insulator from the cold below. I suffer with cold feet, so far they’re great.

cookeaa

fur lined crocs?

Fur lined crocs?

MoreCashThanDash

Snugpak tent boots – £55

My god, we’re a couple of inches away from insulated FMBs there!

fooman

I use Exped Camp Slippers they are like puffer jackets for the feet. Not stiff or sweaty just toasty.

Exped Camp Slipper

binners

I get it now. It’s not hut slippers people are after, it’s ‘lifestyle slippers’.

Lifestyle Slippers did a session for Marc Riley on 6 Music last week 😀

mattyfez

Timely thread..
    I’ve got a pair of these arriving in the next day or so..
    Dunlop Men’s Snugg Warm Fairisle Knit Design Slipper Boot https://amzn.eu/d/gd6cYz1

franksinatra

A ‘friend’ finds that his slippers get really stinky. ‘He’ wears them all day, every day, always with socks but his family all say they smell rancid, despite chucking them (the slippers, not family) through the washing machine quite frequently.

Any advice for my friend?

Harry_the_Spider

For someone who can’t be doing with slippers I was a little disappointed to receive a pair of Haflinger Grizzly felt clogs for Christmas.

I was wrong. They are superb.

nicko74

Perfect timing, STW once again reading my mind.
    V similar situation to most of you by the sounds of it – sit at home wearing shorts, and want a pair of slippers that are cosy, robust, but not sweaty, as I’ll wear them sans socks.

I’ve had sheepskin ones before (Ugg etc); they last about 2 years and are sweaty as buggery. And I don’t want an open-back design as they slip off at inopportune moments.
    The NF ones look really hot and sweaty, no?

DickBarton
    TheBrick
    Free Member

Fur lined crocs

Aldi do a cheap version of them, they are garden slippers.

Just buy whatever cheap slippers are comfortable. They all look shit.

I also put my feet on a cushion and if you’re really having issues buy a small heated pad, like a mini electric blanket. V low energy use.

lorax

My Birkenstock Zermatt felt slippers are great. The Haflinger ones @petrieboy linked to are also excellent, but the advantage of the Birkenstocks is that when it gets really cold I can swap the cork footbed for a sheepskin one

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just bought some proper Austrian ones by Plackolm, like them so far after a couple of weeks wear, wouldn’t want to wear them outside at all as they have just a plain leather sole, like the fact they can be washed on a wool cycle. I had some of those Mahabis ones before but the rubber sole was a faff and the Placolm feel warmer.

franksinatra

Those Snugpak tent boots are thing of complete horror, I feel very strongly that they should be a crime.

My wife would probably wear them in bed given half a chance.

Blackflag
    Free Member

When did slippers become a complicated lifestyle purchase? Just get some slippers next time you are in tesco or wherever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.