Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hurtwood Inn
  • ybot
    Free Member

Whilst having a quiet beer in the Plough at Coldharbour last night I was told by one of the locals that the Hurtwood Inn at Peaslke has closed down.Is this true or just a rumour ? the website is still up and running.

xcgb
    Free Member

Yes closed on the 10th nov
    supposed to reopen in 2014 but i doubt it

ybot
    Free Member

That is bad news, quite a few of the pubs have gone, very sad. Lets hope its true and opens up again next year.

michaelbowden

What! That’s terrible news. They did the best cheesy chips ever.

On a serious note if it’s not just for a refurb I’ll be surprised, their volume of business must have increased over the last few years.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Beer was bloody expensive though (IMO)

xcgb
    Free Member

Its not a refurb, Owner has been losing money and decided that’s enough. He says he will reopen with a different business model but it seems unlikely to me. Its not going on the market though, he is just going to sit on it.
    You clearly didn’t buy enough cheesy chips!

Beer was cheaper than my local (Compasses Gomshall)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That is bad news. Good beer, food looked good. Seemed busy enough at weekends. Suspect the owner’s doing OK – didn’t he just build a pair of houses on the car park? Must have made a packet from that.

Sui
    Free Member

they did Leffe on tap 🙁

kilo

Somebody told me he also owns the village shop don’t know if that’s true.

xcgb
    Free Member

He owns a third of the shop

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I should have stuck to the Ale – the Pilsner was the expensive bit. But it was hot!

It was a nice spot for a late summer evening pint after a ride though. Probably more of a loss for the village though.

Moved wasn’t forced by the P&S staff spending more time down in Cranleigh was it!?!

xcgb
    Free Member

Probably more of a loss for the village though.

From what I know, I think lack of local support was a big part of the problem

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Put off by all the MTBers?!?! 😉

Sorry shouldn’t joke about someone’s livelihood.

The new P&S looks nice (as an aside)

xcgb
    Free Member

Nah people just didn’t use it enough I guess thats a problem in the pub trade now as it does cost so much these days, it was often very quiet in there

hora
    Free Member

My personal experiences of that place were overpriced, no atmosphere and you could hear a pin drop in there. Just no atmosphere at all.

The pub at the foot of the telegraph run (Holmbury?) was bizarre but friendlier.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So much passing traffic though – some bike racks, good ice cream/cheese straws/refreshements, etc

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hurtwood Inn’ is closed to new replies.