Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 300 total)
  • Hurrah! it’s time for the 2018/19 CX racing thread!
  • BenjiM

Dirtyrider

The guy that won V40 was on these from crc

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/prime-pro-disc-road-wheelset/rp-prod142940

Looked amazingly good / light for less than £300 with BC discount.

Doing NW series I haven’t a clue about dry weather tyres…… For mud, more and more people are using Schwalbe X one bites tubeless – brilliant grip and mud clearing.

That’s what I’m running at the moment. They’ve been fine except for the freehub and the bearings haven’t lasted long.

pdw
    Free Member

Wessex round 3 for me yesterday, and a cracking day at Reading.  Took the opportunity to turn CX into a family affair, getting our 3yo, our 6yo and Mrs pdw into their first races.

It’s my club’s round next weekend, so I hope you’ll excuse a bit of promotion, as I know we’ve got a few local riders here:

New venue and a very different course for this year.  More info here. Online entries close tomorrow.

ferrals
    Free Member

My second race of the season yesterday at rnd 3 of the welsh league. Very twisty course at Aberystwyth. On pre riding i was really enjoying the course but had a pretty poor race. For whatever reason I didnt feel like I was all there physically or mentally. Bad start, caught up with someone else who is normally a few places ahead but I think also wasnt having the best race, tight racing for a couple of laps then couldnt hold his wheel on a long straight. My head went and I stopped pushing, ended up being re-caught by someone I’d previously overtaken. We had the leader right behind us so I assumed we’d be finishing a lap down and burnt all my matches keeping in front of the other perosn on my lap, the leader never came through and  so we had to do another lap when i was spent and I finished a way back.

Legs feel far to fresh this morning for a post race day. should have tried harder!

13thfloormonk

Squeeky bum time! Left it too late for the cheap Clement PDXs on Merlin but found someone locally selling a set of Challenge Limus relatively cheap. Should have time to fit them and test them before first race on Sunday, which will no doubt be dusty dry and firm!

brassneck

Is it hilly PDW? Will probably be there, though I should be running really..

legend
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden since rnd1, so be nice when you pass me 🙈

Current forecast – dry then rain when the seniors are about to go – standard 🙄

13thfloormonk

Ha, I have literally no idea where my form is compared to last year, think I’m less fit, but better prepared (kit and technique).

Will be delighted if I’m just in amongst it, hopefully ride into form for the January SQs!

pdw
    Free Member

brassneck – not hilly as such, more lots of little lumps.  We’ve got a couple of steep ramps that need a bit of speed and the right gear, and one that we’re pretty sure will be a run-up for everyone (but then I thought that the massive barriers at Newbury were going to be a dismount for everyone).

IdleJon

I logged onto the BC website to pre-enter rd3 last Friday morning only to find that entries had closed. (Honestly why? Does it take that long to print out the entry sheets? Is there masses of admin that I’m not aware of?)

So £18 for entry on the day, for a 40 minute race.

I left at 9am in ‘mixed’ weather – grey, interspersed with torrential rain. By Llandovery I was having such a problem with one of my contact lenses that I abandoned plans of racing. Tea and toasted tea-cakes, a walk at Paxtons Tower and then home.

If I had pre-entered I probably would have persevered, but being weak-willed….. 😂

ferrals
    Free Member

Guess the only thing Is giving time for Liz to work out gridding.

worth pointing out Carmarthen pre entry closes on weds as it is a Saturday race.

Hope we get a decent bit of rain before then!

legend
    Free Member

Will be delighted if I’m just in amongst it, hopefully ride into form for the January SQs!

Calendar is usually used to help determine SQ categories – play your cards right and you can get yourself into the B race 🙂

IdleJon

Guess the only thing Is giving time for Liz to work out gridding

She can’t do that until the day because of day entries.

mooman
    Free Member

Saturday race for Carmarthen? thats 3 races I gotta miss then!

ferrals
    Free Member

Oof. That’s was really hard. Flat, pretty straight, and fast at Pembrey for the Welsh league. Originally thought it would favour the roadies But there was a twisty grassy section and one big sandy run-up, which was long and hard enough to give parity to the cross enthusiasts. Could close a 50 yards gap on that and made for a great racetrack. Not much recovery parts though! Wasn’t expecting much as I developed a bad case of the runs this morning but Really pleased with my race. I had a bad start so pushed a bit much on the first couple of laps, realised I needed to just ride my own race and so settled in, laps 3-6 were all within 2s of each other then wound things up for the last three laps. Ended up winning a three way sprint to the line by 0.4s 😃 28km/h average speed for the hour, must be a record for me. Good weather too!

best news is rain forecast so next w/e should be muddy 😂

13thfloormonk

Had a brutal race in Falkirk, two run ups, one steep, and some very slippery off-camber turns.

I went off too hard, suffered, had to back off, then spent the remainder of the race making a tit of myself on the slippy bits, soooo many falls. Think I was just going into the corners too fast and having to brake through the whole corner, recipe for disaster!

Two weeks till next race, time to lick my wounds and strategise, at least the next round doesn’t have too many off-camber or downhill corners, so it’ll just be my fitness that’s the issue…

Garry_Lager

Couldn’t race the NW event so went over to Yorkshire to do one near Ilkley – good fun, grassy course with short laps and all the field in one race. Wasn’t fancying it at all in practice as it was a grassy field on a hillside with a tarmac climb that I thought would obliterate me. In the event just took the climb steady and used it for a pseudo-recovery which worked OK, and felt good on the rest of the course.

Absolute state of that bloke who tried to bunny hop the boards first lap and went over the bars, laying on the ground in the middle of the field…    😳

2tyred

a brutal race in Falkirk

I LOVED yesterday! Course felt like one you’d see off the telly in Belgium, the grim weather only added to it. Cracker of a race. All about keeping it as upright as much as possible, think I was on the deck three or four times, hard to avoid it.

In retrospect, the 100km or so I did on the road on Saturday wasn’t the best prep, as my legs didn’t have quite the same pop about them I’d hoped for, but the weather was so nice on Saturday it felt rude not to.

Unlikely there’ll be a better course in Scotland this season IMO, even at Irvine.

steve_b77
    Free Member

We were up at the Wheelbase Castelli ‘cross as part of the NWCCA league, with the boys in the U8 race. The course didn’t really suit the eldest as it was basically a dirt crit with no tech, so it was flat out pedaling from the off, after a good start where he was with the eventual winner for a couple of laps the pace caught up with him and the older boys pulled away. He dug in and ended up 3rd and another podium to add to his ever growing collection.

Next week we’re off to Heaton Park for he next round.

13thfloormonk

Unlikely there’ll be a better course in Scotland this season IMO, even at Irvine.

That’s the stinger for me, I thought I’d prepared well for the course, had spent some time practising my grassy off-camber corners in preparation for the switchbacks etc. and had also fitted some new Limus in anticipation of the rain.

I think it was my confidence that was my undoing. Last year I made some good passes stick by taking the higher line on the main off-camber corner, but this year the ‘higher’ line was just THE line, and anything higher than that was just stupid. Also because I was feeling confident I was going in too fast then braking loads. Amateur!

also REALLLLLLY need to learn not to fire off at the start and start passing loads of people in the first half of the first lap, most of them are quicker than me and I’m just wasting energy, had another mini-asthma attack in the third lap, despite a more rigorous warm-up than previously.

Garry_Lager

also REALLLLLLY need to learn not to fire off at the start and start passing loads of people in the first half of the first lap, most of them are quicker than me and I’m just wasting energy, had another mini-asthma attack in the third lap, despite a more rigorous warm-up than previously.

Probably the right decision if it was a technical course? Even if you paid a price it’s usually right to bury the start and try and get out in front of the chokepoints etc. Amazes me how you can ride a tasty start all the way round sometimes, but it’s usually on the heavier, technical courses.

It’s when you redline the start on an open course that things can go a bit wrong IME – wobbly legs halfway round the first lap and blokes steaming past you left and right.

legend
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – I spotted a weird looking bike a bit behind me at the start, no chance I was talking to the guy riding that thing 😉

That course yesterday was magic. Last years was really good but that was still quite a step up. Loved the 2 off camber shoots, especially when you had to take brave pills to overtake ropey looking folk on them! Also did probably the biggest drift i’ve ever done on any bike at the bottom on the first one….. The 2 run ups killed me, had the onset of cramp with 4 laps or so still to go, you can see my lap times going off a cliff as a result – it bloody hurt!

RGCX was my favourite last year, Callendar has definitely trumped it now though. I was already borderline about doing Lochore, not going to bother now as it’s such a jump back down in terms of the course.

13thfloormonk

Even if you paid a price it’s usually right to bury the start and try and get out in front of the chokepoints etc.

Possibly, but ultimately I just don’t think I’m that fast a rider yet, I’m flattering myself if I think I NEED to get through the first corner in a good position!

Legend – Couldn’t be sure but I saw an RCCK top ahead of me on a brightly coloured Crux at the start? That was the last I saw of you though! I found the run-ups particularly hard going, about the only time I regretted the heavier bike, I was just plodding up by the end.

Don’t be so harsh on Lochore, nice to have some variety in courses! I’ll be looking forward to corners that I don’t instantly slip-out on! 😉

mick_r

I agree with your lad Steve – that Wheelbase course is always just too much flat out pedaling for me (although it was nice to go home with clean kit for once). I was down a few places on normal, but still plenty of familiar faces to race against. Didn’t make much use of my second row gridding…..(was more worried about leaving a gap so I didn’t get in the way of Rob Jebb).

Heaton Park is the same unless the weather makes it grim and slippery – I seem to be doing better the worse the conditions.

legend
    Free Member

Not a Crux (sadly), just a bright Vitus but that would’ve been me! Ditto plodding the run ups – almost on all 4s by the end!

Agree about variety, but feel like I’ve done my flat power course duty by doing Bute instead. I’m sure they’ll make sure the spiral is nice n slippy for you 😉 The only thing that is playing on my mind is that there’s no racing in November, so quite a gap. You done Fife College before?

2tyred

Lochore’s just a different kind of race – more tactical, you need to think about where you’re going to put in the big efforts. The weather has a big influence on that race.

It’s weird having nothing in November, makes the series difficult to plan training for. Fife college was a mudbath last year, loads of running in heavy, thick mud. That’s what to spend November practicing!

legend
    Free Member

I found it very frustrating last year. The stairs were fine, but you picked up so much grit that you spent ages trying to clip in again. The spiral did my head in, but looking back I think that might have been the I tried Clement MXPs for and it really wasn’t happening. Then there was the twisty section that went from ‘maybe’ being a run to ‘definitely’. Being a hefty 10st weakling who doesn’t best in technical places, undulating courses are always going to be more my flavour.

I saw the photos from Fife last year, looked like the Somme! Got my own personal taste at the Rozelle Park SQ. I really need to do more running…..

No sign of a Strathy Park or Plean either this season? (Also missing having an Irvine SCX, but that’s understandable)

13thfloormonk

Yep, I liked Fife College, technical, compact course, one horrific deep sticky mud section to run, not too many big hills. Was my best race last year I think.

I noticed others struggling with the gritty stairs at Lochore, think my Time pedals coped better than Shimanos, I usually picked up a place or two every lap there! 😀

I’m happy with the November gap, gives me a chance to get some more specific training in. Fife College in December, then the two SQs at the start of January.

Will try and make Plean if it crops up on the calendar, saw on the Scottish CX FB that Strathclyde was definitely out, couldn’t get the venue or something.

legend
    Free Member

I noticed others struggling with the gritty stairs at Lochore, think my Time pedals coped better than Shimanos

add “was on Shimano, no on Crank Bros” to my Lochore list of gripes 🙂

Missed that about Strathy, although it seems to eat rear mechs like no other course!

downhillfast
    Free Member

Think I’ve convinced myself to have a go at a few cx races this winter. Looking at the SC North Series race at Black Isle Showground in early November as the first? . Will do a couple of races on my mtb I think then maybe get some 700c wheels/tyres for my gravel bike (currently wearing 650b wheels). I’m not convinced I’d be any quicker on the gravel bike tbh, think I’ll gain more time just by getting fitter!!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

As Ferrals said (hey buddy) the Pembrey course was flat and fast apart the bloody great sandy hill to run up. Despite my huge dislike for dismounts and running I did a semi-speedy shuffle up there to try and get some places back after crashing on the fastest part of the course on the first lap and losing all the advantages I’d gained from a great start. I had to settle for 17th in the end which was a disappointment as I was hoping for a bit higher. Hey ho there’s a couple more rounds there so there’s time to redeem myself.

I was using some new file tread tyres and very impressed with them.

ferrals
    Free Member

Wish I’d had filetreads.. my filetread i normally put on the rear wouldn’t seat despite hours of trying so i gave up – its pretty slick in the centre now anyway. What ones do you have? I tihnk for next season I’ll get some more. Curently liking the look of the vittoria ones.

I loved the run up.. wish we have more runups in the league, going to miss newtown this year which is a shame. I’ve raced up there on mountain bikes a couple of times so knew to go as far left or right as possible (basically into the bushes) to ride half way up then run flat out up the top knowing anyone you passed wouldnt be able to overtake on the next section so you could spin and recover.

Should be a very different kettle of fish on Saturday! See you there? Next job is to try and bribe some people to be pit crew with offers of beer and biscuits!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Heaton Park is the same unless the weather makes it grim and slippery – I seem to be doing better the worse the conditions.

@mick_r
    I actually think a 29er with fast tyres would be quicker for us mortal folk at Heaton Park, especially though the swoopy berm type section and on the long drags across the field if it’s slightly rutted like last year. If I was racing this year, I’d give it a go.

legend
    Free Member

I’m doing my head in trying to work out what tactics would work at Lochore – it all just looks like flat out pedalling to me (minus the tight bits of the spiral and the 2 running sections)

RoterStern
    Free Member

Had my first CX race of the season which is the first round of the National series Deutschland Cup. It’s also the only night cross race in Germany. Tough little course which was bone hard dry with sandy passages near the edge of the lake and a really steep, technical  climb up to the start finish area. After a terrible start where I slipped a pedal and ended up near the back I managed to get myself up to eighth and just missed 7th to a sprint finish as I tried to come round him. But happy with the first race and most importantly no bike problems!! Here is a film someone made of the elite race. Best turn down the sound if you are not a fan of punk music. 🙂

The organiser is a former pro peloton rider whose ultimate aim is to get a WC CX event here in the region which would be great if he manages it.

john_l
    Free Member

Have raced 4/5 rounds of the London League so far this year – the V40 field is bonkers, over 80-90 riders which makes it tricky if you’re not gridded that high (didn’t race last season) but does make for some great racing.

Gradually moving up the grid though and the courses have been superb, albeit very dry so far.

Habe switched to gears this season as well and seem to have quite a collection of tub wheelsets – both are a revelation ;o)

13thfloormonk

Hmm, time to reassess my take on the weekend, despite feeling slow and crashing lots I *think* that was actually my best result, one place off top half of the table 😀 Just goes to show, it never gets easier, you just get faster

A certain STW sandbagger who claimed he hadn’t ridden since his last race still put three minutes and an extra lap into me though 😉

mick_r

Steve – I actually raced a 29er on cx tyres at Heaton 2ish years ago (when they still did the extra woodland bit on the far side). It was pretty quick in the twisty, off camber and rooty stuff (I remember some 2 wheel drifts). Unfortunately it was also singlespeed, so everything gained was lost on the spinny drag round the field 🙁

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Ferrals I’ve got the Vittoria Terreno dry file/hex treads. Very impressed.

Yup see you at Carmarthen. Looking forward to doing Newtown for the first time too

ferrals
    Free Member

Just saw your pics of the file treads, they look ideal. I like the fact they seem to have designed them a bit more than other file treads.

Newtown is an epic course I think – just wish it was closer!

legend
    Free Member

A certain STW sandbagger who claimed he hadn’t ridden since his last race still put three minutes and an extra lap into me though

Payback for Lochore last year 😉 Obvs I would’ve been challenging for the win if i’d been riding more!

Also….. file treads?! You guys live in a different world!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘Hurrah! it’s time for the 2018/19 CX racing thread!’ is closed to new replies.