Hunter Wellies – sizing question

Home Forum Chat Forum Hunter Wellies – sizing question

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Hunter Wellies – sizing question
  • khani

My mrs’s Hunters leaked within a month, they reluctantly replaced em as a goodwill gesture and they leaked at the same place within a month as well,
    Overpriced rubbish IMO..
    My ten year old green council wellys are still perfect, and cost a tenner…

clubber

The most middle/upper class question ever asked here?

No chance. That would be which Barbour jacket to buy.

Binners, ss to B&Q wellies that makes you either poor or upper class. I’m banking on upper class and that your online people’s champion persona is just a facade. 😉

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Le Chameau, Dubarry or Aigle are where it’s at for proper boots snobbery these days. 🙂

My son in law is posh.
    Ish.

He wears Aigle boots for walking the pointer and the sprocker whilst wearing his tweed cap.
    Unfortunatly, they live in central Manchester, so he looks like he’s on his way to a fancy dress party whilst dressed as the Phil the Greek.

Muck boots rule.
    The only reason you wouldn’t wear them Flashy is that your friends would laugh at you.

Snobbery really is vile, isn’t it?
    Hunters were considered perfectly fine until ordinary people started wearing them.
    Then the snobs had to start wearing Aigle etc just to distance themselves and maintain the percieved gap in class.
    No need chaps – the condescending attitude is a clear give away. 😀

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

There is a middle way.

I wear wellies for all day walking occasionally, and have a pair of Toggi Wanderer. They are better than Hunters in every way possible, and measure up in terms of features (if not label) that the best of Hunter (proper Hunters like the Sovereign) LeChameau , AIgle or Musto can throw at you.

With a decent pair of “all day” boots you need decent sole. High Street Hunter rubber soles are shite. Full stop. They grip in one direction only. Quality boots have a cleated walking sole.

Next is shape. To be comfy and supportive a boot has to be snug and fit without flapping and letting your foot move in it. So a boot needs to be snug around your ankle, and snug on your calf. Garden centre or B&Q will flap around and rub skin off you after an hour or so walking in them.

Lining. Quality boots have a decent lining. Hunter Sovs have leather (which is frankly nonsense in a supremely luxurious sort of way) but the majority have a neoprene lining. This means the boots are warm, and you don’t need to wear extra socks. Wearing ordinary socks, or better still stockings and breeks means that you can get a consistent fit, again without bunching or chafing.

Flexi outers. Quality boots have softer, flexible outers, again, meaning a better fit.

Side gussets and zips. I’ve got cyclist’s calves, so I opted for a full length zip, but shorter zipped gussets can also help with fit to varied calf shapes.

Of course if you don’t want them to be comfy or practical, then spend your fiver at the garden centre. If you want to spend a day in them then go for the decent stuff. The Toggis I currently wear are five years old and still going strong. For £70 over five years that’s not all that bad!

nwgiles

clubber – Member

Barbour, there is just no educating people,

We lost Barbour to the common folk as well

Houns

Will people stop recommending Aigle. If these become common I’ll be forced to buy something different 😡

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

And they’re welcome to it! Cold, smelly, impractical sort of nonsense.

Technical tweed and Duckdry are the way forward.

Houns

clubber – Member

Yep the quilted jacket is quite chav

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Waxed cotton jackets are great – just picked up a decent one from Dickies for £45.00.
    Perfect for working outside in the wet: not too hot, last for ages, don’t fall apart.

And they were worn by everyone long before they were hijacked by the fashionable.

I used to use Belstaff motorbike jackets for years until the company was bought by an Italian fashion house & they started costing £400!

Very practical is waxed cotton.

The Barbour fixation is a strange one though – they are well made, but not really worth £200 are they?
    I thought they were a bit expensive when they were half the price in the 80’s.

Houns – Member

Will people stop recommending Aigle. If these become common I’ll be forced to buy something different
    Common? Like Oakley you mean? 😀

bikebouy

And there endeth the thread.

Dissipated into snobbery and Yah’ishness and phhhffizzled out to the tune of a VW Golf advert where the keys drop down the drain.

Hunters, provided you get the right ones (and theres the rub) are fine for general use, just that they are overpriced and have a neveau image problem.
    Pitching in with brands that cost £400 is a rather crass way of pointing out to Us Lot that you are swung by a savvy Chav Head in marketing whose been to an Economics lecture and the picture in the latest GQ portrays a glamour lifestyle caked in mud.

I’ve said my piece on Muck Boots, 18mths in and still warm as toast and heaps of cow shite covered (and never washed) rubberyness but when it comes down to it, image is..

Everything. 😉

KINGTUT

The Barbour fixation is a strange one though – they are well made, but not really worth £200 are they?

Well made? Having gone through 2 Barbour Sapper jackets in 3 months last year that is not my experience, plus their sizing is all over the place.

Le Chameau here.

Despite what the folks say above. Mine are proven over the last 6 winters. Decent Vibram sole, neoprene lined, waterproof as the day I got them despite a lot of welly/bramble interfacing, salty beach walks and rock pooling with the kids, dog walks, beating for the local shoot…they’ve been tried and tested.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Hunter Wellies – sizing question’ is closed to new replies.