Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Hunter Wellies – sizing question
  • mangoridebike

My wife is keen to sport a pair of Hunter wellies so I’m now on a mission to aquire some.

Does anyone have any idea how they size up? She’s normally a 6, sometimes a 7, do Hunters size up large or am I better going for a 7 and also getting her a pair of thick socks?

Thanks very much 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

The most middle/upper class question ever asked here?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nope. You could hardly be more wrong, as it happens.

Hunters are now very much the preserve of the other end of the spectrum. (Apologies to the OP and wife, obviously)

Le Chameau, Dubarry or Aigle are where it’s at for proper boots these days.

DezB
    Free Member

proper boots

So people kid themselves! 😆

Sui
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Nope. You could hardly be more wrong, as it happens.

Hunters are now very much the preserve of the other end of the spectrum. (Apologies to the OP and wife, obviously)

I was just about to ask those questions.. Failing that, who makes calf length boots in the same manner that someone like RM Williams might do??

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Does anyone have any idea how they size up?

larger than my wallet

bikebouy
    Free Member

MUCK Boots (cough) MUCK Boots (cough)

However they are for proper farmers and the like so if your Hunters are for (CHAV) Town and a toe dip in a stream I’d go for a size up and get the fleecy sock that goes with them. You can get the fleecy socks in Union Flag stylee too, you know, just to top it awf.. 😉

MUCK Boots (cough)

mangoridebike

I do wonder if she has fallen in with the wrong crowd lately

I’m only considering this as they are currently on sale on “that” website, no matter how much I might explain that there are better brands available I feel I will be talking to a brick wall on this one.

Thanks for the tip BikeBouy, they’ll be used for walking and general rainy day excursions, but nothing untoward

cynic-al
    Free Member

So if my wellies are from B&Q, what class am I?

bluebird
    Free Member

To be frank, save your money. My wife’s had 2 pairs for winter dog walking. Neither pair lasted 12 months.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hunters +- ugg boots to be sported with your pjs and dressing gown in tesco on a sunday morning these days right ?

gimmie my jalattes or even some red wings anyday – sad day now that i have to pay for them though. once broken in they are lovely.

nealglover
    Free Member

The person who needs proper boots has Muck Boots.

The people who pay him stupid money to come shooting for the day on his land however, wear the boots you mention because they have been told they are better 😉

mangoridebike

I think up here in the west highlands we’ve missed out on exposure to the pj’s ugg boot look and are still stuck in the original perception of Hunters as being high end wellies.

I may raise that with her prior to buying just in case it changes her mind, thank also for the review bluebird – useful info

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Neal, tried them on, didn’t find them comfortable. Tried on my Le Chameau boots and didn’t want to take them off! You pays your money, etc.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I`ve always found hunters very comfortable, when you are in them all day that’s important.
    Although that was a few years ago now, way before they became fashionable (Although they have always been expensive)

Drac

So if my wellies are from B&Q, what class am I?

Dunno. Oh did you find a gardener by the way and what does he where? 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Where does he what?

wilko1999
    Free Member

OP, all unnecessary typecasting aside, I tried a pair on and found them small for their size. Especially in the calf region, I’m normally a 10, and I could barely get a pair of Hunter 10’s on they were well tight on my calves. In the end I went for Lowthers, a much more comfortable fit and cheaper option. A pair will last me about 2 years of daily dog-walking and occasional gardening

woody2000

Mine are a size up from normal, but mainly to accomodate big socks and the natty hunter welly liners. Find mine very comfy, and have lasted very well.

cinnamon_girl

To be honest, a comfy pair of walking boots would be better!

Many years ago I bought Hunter’s, one pair got sent back and were replaced. Yes, they are comfy compared to other wellies but I’d be much happier wearing walking boots with gaitors.

Meindl are good.

jfletch
    Free Member

Would it be frowned upon by the Cheshire set to get a pair of Hunter welly liners to go with my 15 yo dunlops?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jfletch – Member
    Would it be frowned upon by the Cheshire set to get a pair of Hunter welly liners to go with my 15 yo dunlops?

If it’s Cheshire you’re worried about, you’ll be fine. As long as you’ve had a vajazzle and a spray tan first.

thegreatape
    Free Member

OP – cross the road to Pet Stop (I think!), they have a few. Failing that HIS for some Dunlops.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Be aware that Hunters are made in a Chinese sweatshop instead of Scotland these days; up until about 2006 I swore by them but the last two pairs I had both split after less than a year. Aigles or BOG hunting wellies for me now!

mangoridebike

thegreatape – thats a bit spooky! how do you know where I am?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m a spy, and you’re a bad un 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think you once posted a picture of a certain mountain from your office window, and I recognised your office (MH?). If it wasn’t you that posted that then I just got lucky!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s good to stalk!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@trail rat, just out of curiosity, when did you get your red wings? PFFt fnarr fnarr

sharkattack

My girlfriend was given some Hunter wellies for Xmas last year and they’re now sitting in the garage. One has a split up the back, from the sole over the heel and the other has some nice toe ventilation. I honestly could not believe that a simple rubber boot could wear out so fast.

mangoridebike

Damn – good skills!

You’re obviously local, drop me an email if you fancy meeting up for a ride

thegreatape
    Free Member

Especially when you get paid to do so flashy!

(OP, I’m not stalking you, promise)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Will do, next time I get a half day off!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No comment, TGA! No comment! 8)

hooli

Why are you on a mission if she wants them?

Unless of course it is her birthday or something

trail_rat
    Free Member

the stabiliser – in equitorial guinea in 2009. Meant to “lose my boots” when i was there in august.

we cant get them out of our office as we are uk sector

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’d go one size up if I were you. I wish I had done so I could wear thick socks. I got mine years ago and they’ve been absolutely brilliant. The only annoying thing is that I now look like a d*ck wearing them because of the fashion thing. I hate advertising on my person so tried to remove the logo on the front but just made a mess.

richc
    Free Member

I have Muck Boots and they have lasted pretty well (2 years) but the sole is now pretty much dead as the treads have worn off, mind you I did wear them every day 7am-7pm day for 6 months, now I just wear them for dog walking and working outside. Saying that I will be replacing them with more muck boots. I’ve also found they aren’t that great for walking for more than a few hours as they can rub.

My missus has had hunters and they aren’t great to be honest, and never lasted more than 12 months and aren’t very supportive when you walk, tread is shit and are quite narrow calved, she now has Aigles even though they are ugly (apparently) she wouldn’t get hunters again as they are much better in every way. Got them from Mole Valley Farmers so I am guessing they still count as proper wellies

grim168
    Free Member

Just replaced my muckboot derwents with some muckboot thurso’s. Wifes got the gretas in purple. Far superior to hunters. Buy your normal size and wear thin socks as they a very well insulated.

Bunnyhop

I’ve had Dubarry ‘Galway’ boots for a couple of years and they are amazing. You get what you pay for.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Hunter Wellies – sizing question’ is closed to new replies.