Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Hunt Wheels
  • Premier Icon mccraque
    Subscriber

Just bumping this…… anyone put some serious miles down yet in our lovely winter rain and grime? How are the hubs in terms of maintenance and reliability?

Will I regret not buying another Pro4?

I so want to trust the Hunts…but keep reading “Novatec”…. Which is probably doing them an injustice…

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

Mine on the road and gravel bikes have been pretty much faultless. I replaced the front bearings in the gravel bike a couple of weeks ago as they felt a little rough. They’ve probably done 10k+ miles including Paris Roubaix a couple of times, Tour of Flanders, Swinley blue and red loops numerous times along with general commuting and they’re still perfectly true.

On that basis I’d say they’re pretty reliable.

Premier Icon majorspaniel
    Subscriber

Enduro wides here, had them since may, they’ve survived morzine, local North Wales and have been fault less so far, including some hub deep puddles at Nant Y arian

Andy_Sweet

I’ve done about 4,000 miles on a set of the four seasons. Running fine.

notmyrealname

Subscriber
    Mine on the road and gravel bikes have been pretty much faultless. I replaced the front bearings in the gravel bike a couple of weeks ago as they felt a little rough. They’ve probably done 10k+ miles including Paris Roubaix a couple of times, Tour of Flanders, Swinley blue and red loops numerous times along with general commuting and they’re still perfectly true.

On that basis I’d say they’re pretty reliable.

That’s a proper review, that.

Premier Icon tall_martin
    Subscriber

The 29 Xc on my hardtail for 9 months here.

No complaints!

Would recommend 😀

MTB-Idle

they bring the trails alive, anyone?

mashr

Only the 650b ones obvs

gribble

I have some non-boost 650b trail wides. I think there fine. Had them on for maybe 6 months, but no issues. One slightly kinked spoke on arrival, but did not worry about it and I suppose I could change it if I could be bothered.

Do they make the trails come alive? – absolutely, I can feel the moisture content in the loam…

I only got them as I wanted to spend around £3-£350 max. My usual Hope Hub/Stans Flow (whatever the current generation is) seemed expensive; I think they do a basic Flow S1 wheel, but not with Hope hubs. I like the wider internal width – I have run some fatter rubber on the front and rear (2.6) – I like a bit more volume in the hardtail tyres (as it helps take some sting out of the roots/rocks), even though it is not a boost frame/fork combo.

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk
    Subscriber

Will I regret not buying another Pro4?

Fundamentally, is there really any difference between one cartridge bearing hub and another?

I’m not just trolling, am sort of curious. I bought some DT 350s on offer as I like the ratchet ring mechanism, but not expecting anything else out of what is essentially a cylinder with two cartridge bearings punching into it.

Not got any experience myself, though pals of mine have and they all seem very happy – and they’re not the lightest on gear. Will look that way myself when I get round to replacing the woeful Pro4 hub Hope ones I have, that are permanently needing new bearings due to crap sealing…

fanatic278

Hunt customer services have been amazing. They paid for two spokes to be replaced and when it became clear after the 3rd spoke broke that there wasn’t something quite right they sent me a whole new wheel free of charge – to Australia.

Noisy hubs – if that’s your thing.

Premier Icon mudfish
    Subscriber

Try DCR wheels. Lewes on the South Coast. If you can call by a the better. Otherwise chat to the friendly helpful owner Dave about your needs.
    Proper hand built wheels to suit your specific needs. Great customer care and very fair pricing.

There’s a lot to be said for a wheel hand built just for you. I’ve not looked back since I started buying from DCR.
    I can build myself but I’ve nowhere near their skill level. I’m pleased to “know a man who can”.

Loving the DT 471 and 511 rimmed and the Spank Vibrocore wheels they’ve built for me. Yes, you can feel the damping in the Vibrocore.

Enjoy whatever you decide on. Nice guys at Hunt for sure and a good rep for service too.

shedbrewed

Novatec hubs and Kinlin rims and n the hunt road/gravel wheels. Not a bad combination but don’t fall for the extra brand hype.
    Experience through acquaintances has not been positive; two have had Hunt wheels fail at spokes and rims.
    Another second for an independent wheel builder here; RyanBuildsWheels in Bristol. I prefer Bitex hubs over Novatec but that’s steered by a preference for colours and centrelock discs.
    Latest pair with Bitex bx106 hubs in purple paired to dtswiss xr361 rims 28h

rezis

Customer service is always worth something. I got some JRA wheels as their not far from me (York) and when I recently needed to change the axel ends they’ve been really good and helpful. Wheels have been bombproof too with a couple of thousand miles this year if only on the road.

ransos

I so want to trust the Hunts…but keep reading “Novatec”…. Which is probably doing them an injustice…

Not Hunt, but I do have Novatec hubs on my handbuilt road wheels. They’re four years old and on their original bearings. I haven’t logged the mileage but it will be several thousand. One thing is that the freehub pawls can get sticky but they’re easy to clean and lubricate as the freehub can be pulled off with the cassette attached.

My Hope hubs on my MTB have been great too though they’re noticeably noisier, which I dislike on a road bike.

stevego

Wife has a set on her roadie, aero light disc. They have been great, although not had heavy use so far. She is really happy with them as am I as I have to fix her bikes when things go wrong (if she remembers to tell me)

srm87

DT Swiss 29″ EX511 on 350 hubs hand built by Ryz at Fitwheels.eu
    Fantastic service, went above and beyond in everyway! Check them out as the price was ridiculously competitive

mtbtomo

I got some of the 50mm deep carbon road wheels when they first came out a few years ago. One of the first doing vaguely affordable tubeless carbon wheels at the time. They’ve been fine.

If they are rebranded Novatec hubs then so what? I’ve also got genuine Novatec wheels and other wheels with Novatec hubs and Bitex hubs. Do people really think their DT Swiss or Hope hubs etc are that much better when most cartridge bearing hubs are essentially a chunk of metal with some generic cartridge bearings in them (SKF or not, still fairly industry standard). Might be a few subtle differences with the freehubs and perhaps better pick up but Novatec and Bitex seem serviceable enough.

The big companies don’t seem to get as bad a rap despite the fact their stuff is probably just as mass produced and generic but with a big S logo on it??

So I’d happily buy another set, seems their customer service is pretty good, and they’re still reasonably priced if you value UK back up.

john_l

Selling a set of Trail Wide 29 Boost wheels if you’re interested. Only a few months old, just don’t need a Boost wheelset at the moment.

Premier Icon binman
    Subscriber

perhaps better pick up but Novatec and Bitex seem serviceable enough

I would agree, until you need small spares eg.a freehub seal or pawl or spring (Formula) or a very expensive bespoke tool to remove a bearing (Novatec). The availability of freehub conversion or axle kits is a big factor or even torque end caps. This is where a Hope hub is a longer life option.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.