Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hunt trail wide V2 – any good?
  • julians
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a set of Hunt trail wide V2 wheels,but I read a thread on here froma a year or two ago that was pretty scathing about the v1 trail wides,saying they cracked etc.

So what are the V2 like? Any good,can they take a bit of abuse?

WildHunter2009

Have a set on my Scandal. Not a huge amount of miles on them yet but I’m heavy and lacking in skill and they are still true. I would buy again.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Soft rims,poor bearings, spoke tension leaves a lot to be desired and whilst a minor gripe the tape looks like it’s applied by a 3 month old chimpanzee.
    The magazine’s love them followed by a half page advert in there magazine’s so that’s debatable.
    There the same time as the nukeproof
    Neutron= trail wide horizon= Enduro wide
    Freehub is also the same
    The Ew freehub is the same 6 series novatec used in spank hex etc
    There just absolutely nothing special and I’d personally get a set of hope which work out the same money
    There rims aren’t bullet proof either but there better and the hubs are far superior

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    julians
    Free Member

Thanks both.

So if the hunt wheels are not good is there anything else out there comparable in weight, (intended) robustness,price etc that should be got instead?

bikesandboots

I considered these and the Silt XC wheels recently, ended up going for JRA Monitors which use Bitex hubs. There are a lot of people happy and unhappy with their Hunt wheels.

Hunt use Novatec pawl (with some undisclosed mods I think), and Silt use a Chosen ratchet.

Quote from Ryan Builds Wheels via a thread (one of many on Hunt/hubs/JRA) on here:

As for Bitex vs Novatec I asked Ryan this directly:

“Bitex are miles above Novatec; machining quality is better, freehub mechanism is ace, exceptionally easy to service (see videos on Bitexhubs.co.uk), seals are good and we apply our in house weatherproofing treatment to outboard bearings and freehub internals alike. They give a dampened and quiet pleasant whir as opposed to a loud click ala Hope.”

Bitex hubs or something else.

I also found the Bitex run larger 6903 bearings than the Hunt/Silt 6902.

The JRA rim graphics are a bit flamboyant, but he’s working on some more discreet ones for imminent availability.

blast
    Free Member
    blast
    Free Member

The best rims and 2nd best hubs .
    If you have the budget 240 hubs .
    Have some 350 hubs 6years old and just replace rear hub bearings front still good. used 2 times plus a week for last 6 years.

hardtailonly

I’ve had then on my FS for nearly a year.

They’re good. Light, good value. Hunt’s customer service is excellent.

I do think their rims are a little soft. Put a ding on my second ride, still holds air no issues. My gravel wheels have (4 years old now, 10000km), overall, been excellent, but again, several dings front and rear. No issues with bearings, although I do keep my gravel bike indoors so it does have a chance to dry out after a soaking.

droplinked

I’ve been running mine a year now and really happy with them.

Not had any problems with the rims, but I do run inserts. Only had to tension one spoke. Otherwise been very reliable.

They’ve not had an easy life either, I’m 120kg and have done BPW, Ard rock, Revs, and plenty other trail rides this year.

mudfish

Have a chat to Dave at DCR wheels. Great builder. Hand built wheels with hood spokes. I too think go Hope hubs.

halifaxpete

The rear trailwide I ran kept loosing spoke tension, BPW killed it off and cracked the rim. Replaced it with a Hope Fortus that been spot on (so far) Still running a trailwide on the front though with no probs.

superstu
    Free Member

No issue with mine after 18 months. On a full suss and used as intended. I’m a light chap though so arguably have less stress, but they get ridden fairly hard

Having said that I am a big dt swiss fan and don’t think you can go wrong with their wheels.

Nukeproof horizons may also be worth a look, well reviewed and rated

joebristol

I say this on every similar thread but DT Swiss XM481 rims on your choice of hub – Hope Pro 4 or DT Swiss 350 are both very solid.

As a different option I’ve heard the Nukeproof Horizons are pretty decent and make a nice buzz. Although from the sounds of what someone posted above the hubs won’t be as good as Hope or DT Swiss.

purple_moose
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the V2’s, but I have had a set of V1’s for just over two years

The build has proved to be excellent – I am yet to brake a spoke or need to do any truing

I’d agreed the rims are a bit soft – I’ve put one dent into the rear, which did bend back into shape and does still work tubeless

The bearings have been pretty good too – the front hub bearings are still original and smooth – I’ve just replaced the two bearings in the rear freehub – the freehub was one of the most straightforward I’ve ever worked on

marksnook
    Free Member

I have the hunt enduro wide on the hardtail, just over 2 years old. In that time they have needed 1 bearing in the rear hub replacing. They have just been faultless. I have never touched a spoke or noticed them being out of true by much.
    In contrast on my big bike I have dt Swiss 350 hubs on ex511 rims. While the rims have been bullet proof the hubs have been a constant nightmare. Front eats bearing for a past time. I’m talking 50 miles between the last new set of front bearings to them needing doing again. Rear has been better but still could go for bearings after a few months.

Couple mates have had similar with their posh 240 hubs and replaced them with hope hubs.

That’s the trouble with reviews I guess. Some people have positive things and some negative!

fazzini

I’ve got the XC wide on my HT. Now, I have had an on-going issue with the cassette loosening, and I shared images and a video with Hunt via their chat service, and after following their previous advice, they are sending me a new free-hub and spacer. The guy on Saturday evening’s webchat also rang me to talk through a couple of things as well, so, I can’t fault their customer service. I would agree with the taping being a bit hit or miss – front was fine, rear was not, and the tubeless valves they included I could not get to create a seal. Installed Muc-off ones and no issues with set up after that. Overall, pretty happy with them as I got them in a sale event. Nice and light and roll really well, especially compared to the wheels that came with the bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you want a light-ish wheel to take “a bit of abuse”, I’d spend a bit more to get Pro4 hubs with XM481 rims.

Or have a punt on the Superstar Isotopes, if they still have stock for £125 (66% off). I got a set of them for my “trail” needs.

Are they for that swanky ebike you showed us? Do you not need enduro-strength rims for that badboy?

julians
    Free Member

If you want a light-ish wheel to take “a bit of abuse”, I’d spend a bit more to get Pro4 hubs with XM481 rims.

Or have a punt on the Superstar Isotopes, if they still have stock for £125 (66% off). I got a set of them for my “trail” needs.

Are they for that swanky ebike you showed us? Do you not need enduro-strength rims for that badboy?

yeah for the trek. I already have a set of dt swiss hx1501 wheels that have been bullet proof over a couple of years riding on another bike, but they’re heavy (2150g) , so thought I might try and go a bit lighter seeing as the new ebike is more of a trail bike rather than enduro gnarpoon, but from the various responses up there I’m getting the impression that chasing a slightly lighter wheelset is likely to not be a good thing, I’m done with retruing wheels every other week.

I guess I could save a couple of hundred grams , but its going to be relatively expensive and probably not be worthwhile, so I think I will stick with the “heavy” dtswiss set that I already have and save some cash.

Thanks for all the views on hunt wheels, they seem a bit hit and miss, I presume it varies so much due to how different people ride differently, I know I’m hard on wheels, so I suspect for me it would not be advisable.

militantmandy
    Free Member

The V2s are MUCH less prone to dings than the V1s. The set on my Privateer have done 2500km. Still on original bearings, no dings. That includes 2 trips to Finale, Maderia, racing in rocky Aberdeenshire, racing in the Tweed Valley etc.

They are not the last word in wheels, but for the money I think they’re very good.

joebristol

Ah, if they’re for an e-bike I wouldn’t try to save weight on the rims, not going to make much difference other than being weaker and more prone to damage. Especially wouldn’t go for Hunt Trail wheels.

Looks like the HX1501 has a tougher rim than an EX511 and a hub / steel freehub reinforced in a few ways to be more durable for e-bikes. Would have thought they’d be ideal.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.