Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hunt front hub slop
  • andeh
    Free Member

My front Hunt Endurowide hub seems to have a lot of side to side slop/rattle unless I really crank up the axle, almost like the tolerance is a mm or so off.

Had a look at the bearings, they seem smooth and normal. Had a look at the axle, looks usual.

Anyone got a similar issue?
    Fork is a CC Helm, for reference.

DanW
    Free Member

Ask Hunt direct- their support is fantastic

montgomery

Just the bearings going. I realised my rear Hope Pro 2 hub had developed the tell tale sideways shimmy this morning as I was about to set off on a local ride. Only seven years since I last changed them – damn Hope and their shoddy products!

mashr

New or used? If it’s new, give em a shout. If it’s old, whack some new bearings in

BrickMan
    Free Member

Is this new? Then there is a problem. Thru axles if everything is square and not bent/mangled, shouldn’t need much at all to hold them in place, many customers kill their hubs by tightening the absolute hell out of them.
    If its more than about 3 months old bearings probably failed due to 1) they aren’t very good in UK climate 2) you wash your bike too much/aggressively 3) “hunt”/bitex hub tolerance is a bit variable. Literally fed up with the number of new hunt’s that the barrel of the hub body or freehub is too tight = premature bearing failure, hard to get out, hard to get new ones in square despite 25 years experience at this! and then new bearing feels shite = they have a tolerance or QC problem.

This isn’t slamming that company as a whole, just a note that they more than most, have tolerance issues. Loads of folk happy with their hoops.

andeh
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Yeah, they’re not new, just after being used to the service life of Hope hubs (have I ever changed the front hub bearings in my Pro 2 in the 12 years I’ve had it?) thought I might be doing something daft. I’ve got some spare bearings kicking about so I’ll Bob them in. Thanks 🙂

mashr

Put some quality bearings in and you’ll have the same service life as a Hope hub

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.