• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hungarian Vizsla Puppy; Any #traildog training tips?
  • Premier Icon bikedibley

Collecting our gorgeous Hungarian Vizsla puppy this Sunday. Will need to be careful not to drop him in the deep end too young with too much exercise, but does anyone have any training tips to make him safe and reliable with me and other trail users?

We’ve all seen Amber the Vizsla at Swinley on YouTube and I’ve seen immaculately behaved Vizsla’s on the trail before, so I want every chance of achieving the perfect and very happy trail dog.

Thanks all

Premier Icon sandwicheater

Will probably be a good year until you could ride with her any good distance/time.

Would definitely recommend getting a puppy training book if it’s your first pup.

With dogs it’s all about rewards/repetition/encouragement. To get it used to keeping to heal/staying close just say it’s name when ever it’s eating/getting a treat. In no time it’s name is linked with food/happy treats and when ever it hears it it will come.

While walking with it just continually praise it for walking near you and introduce a heal command, I don’t know, something like ‘heal’ or ‘Great big Dildo’s’. Continually say that word while it’s walking with you/getting treats and once again, it will link walking to heal with being fed/treated.

Same think when riding, just get it used to being near the bike/getting praise and you’ll have a happy trail dog in no time.

WARNING: IF A PHOTO ON SUNDAY IS NOT FORTH COMING YOUR NAME GOES ON THE LIST AND I’LL REPORT YOU!!

Premier Icon bikedibley

Not sure what your warning is about!?
    But thanks, those are good tips. I think I’ll stick to “Oscar” rather than “Big fat dildo’s” as my repetition phrase.
    Here’s a picture of the little brighter… Oscar the Vizsla on my Twitter feed

He looks ace!! I really don’t miss all the poo & pee.

Not sure what your warning is about!?

You’ll likely know but over exercise when a pup can really screw up there joints when older. I was surprised at how little our springer/lab cross needed/was recommended they walked when was a pup.

Premier Icon kinger

Our Viz was always very keen to over tire himself, so as others have said it’s best to not over exercise.
    Only issue we had at times was that he seemed to think that every cyclist was me so would excitedly bound towards them and to some folks, even a viz is a big dog. Sadly, I never quite trained him well enough to be a proper ‘traildog’ in a group of riders so would just take him out on my own/

Premier Icon GolfChick
    Free Member

What we found worked with ziva and still does was teaching her a word for slow down and a word for speeding up. So for example when I taught her to walk on the lead ‘steady’ meant you’re moving too fast and need to slow down otherwise the consequence is I stop and we don’t move again til you’ve corrected yourself. We then taught get on from the sense of ‘I’m about to walk into you’ so you need to speed up and if she didn’t she had a shoe tapping her leg where we strode forward with not enough space (no this wasnt a kick etc). These rules now apply on the trail, get on means speed up and she’s evolved to understand that if that means she doesn’t want to speed up she moves aside to avoid the persons path and steady is good if for example she takes a diff path and is about to cut in front of you.

Premier Icon GolfChick
    Free Member

Luckily ridgies are very aloof with strangers so ziva won’t follow you if you pass me as you could mean DANGERRRRR!!! Having said that if you set out from the car with me she also won’t leave without you, she’ll walk or trot in the middle to make sure I don’t forget.

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Free Member

How many walks/hours of training does it take for them to learn to walk to heel?

Premier Icon ajc
    Free Member

Trail riding with your dog is a long way off. My vizsla is 6 months. Great dogs, very bouncy. Everyone you meet who has ever had one will stop to tell you you’re going to be kept busy. Have fun.

Premier Icon yunki
    Free Member

The warning was clearly a passionate plea that you post a photo or two of the cute lil puppy doggy on Sunday

HTH

Premier Icon GolfChick
    Free Member

How many hours/ weeks does it take for heel? How long is a piece of string, down to the dog and your time and patience and so many factors. Ziva didn’t walk on the lead unless I had the time to continually stop to get the message across. It was worth it though and she now walks impeccably which when she’s 40kgs actually matters!

How many walks/hours of training does it take for them to learn to walk to heel?

Ours picks up almost anything in a week with the right motivation ie food. Sit, Paw, play dead, down, role over, all bagged in a weekend. Heal off lead was about a week and running to the bike was over a couple of weeks. Not eating car shit, well, that’s still a working progress.

We also taught her always to run on my left so if we are ever on a road she will stay on my inside away from cars.

Premier Icon curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers!

Premier Icon Sandwich

Cute puppy that needs to grow into his coat! Recall and walking to heel are best done first. Should be reasonably easy with a puppy to get and keep their attention. “Leave” or “Leave It” are also good commands as you don’t want to be going after a dog that has a Muntjac/rabbit/fox/hare down for dinner mid ride. (They learn about the tusks the hard way, your vet will like the business).

Premier Icon irelanst
    Free Member

We dog sit a friends Visla sometimes and getting it to heel isn’t a problem, it’s getting the damn thing to leave you alone for 5 minutes that is. They call them velcro dogs for a reason!

Beautiful dogs though.

Premier Icon adsh
    Free Member

My labrador 50metres walking along a fence line – incredible. My German Wire Haired pointer – (think hooligan Vizla on crack) never.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hungarian Vizsla Puppy; Any #traildog training tips?’ is closed to new replies.