Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hungarian approach to declining population
  • rene59
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47192612

Interesting approach to encourage population increase without relying on migration (which they don’t seem to like in Hungary).

I wonder if we will see similar approach of what seem to be tempting financial incentives rolled out elsewhere if successful.

doris5000

no, the Hungarian govt certainly doesn’t like inbound migration. Or foreigners, or people with dark skin. And especially, especially not the Roma. They’re also quite bitter about their lost empire (why does that sound familiar)

So that doesn’t leave many options if you want to arrest your population decline

welshfarmer

Just shows the stupidity of an economic system built on continued economic growth. It can only be achieved by increased consumption/debt which can only be achieved via ever increasing population. Rather than try and find an alternative way to increase standard of living through a long term reduction in overall world population, we are left with these crazy schemes that will only ever be counter productive in the long run. That is ignoring all the nationalistic connotations of this story…

TheBrick
    Free Member

The levels of stupidity that is allowed in politics never ceases to amaze me.

footflaps

no, the Hungarian govt certainly doesn’t like inbound migration. Or foreigners, or people with dark skin. And especially, especially not the Roma. They’re also quite bitter about their lost empire (why does that sound familiar)

yes, if you ever wondered what it would be like with UKIP in charge, Hungary would be a good example…

slowoldman

I’m with Welshfarmer. The continuous growth model is unsustainable. We should be applauding reductions in population.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well well.

Subsidies for owning a seven seat SUV.

The Hungarian populate certainly have had a rough time of it. Coming out of the Eastern Block has massive cultural impact, then the mass influx of commercial goods and products.

Meanwhile the populate were left stunned why the West had been living in luxury, and they at a low level just above poverty line. Bitter ? No, not at all.

Lovely country, lovely people.

footflaps

Lovely country, lovely people.

If you’re a white hetrosexual Christian, then possibly.

Kamakazie

I’m with Welshfarmer. The continuous growth model is unsustainable. We should be applauding reductions in population.

Thirded.
    Unfortunately. it’s the easier goose to chase than trying to improve individuals prosperity.

molgrips
    Free Member

What an objectionable policy.

There are plenty of people in the rest of the world who are willing to move for a better life. But apparently they aren’t good enough, cos they aren’t as good as real Hungarians.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I spent a lot of time in Hungary during the pre-post Eastern block collapse.

They are nice (were, at that time) people.

tjagain

Strength thru joy?

footflaps

They are nice (were, at that time) people.

I’m sure most are at an individual level, just in the ‘I’m not a racist but…’ and then vote for a right wing racist party. NB not that different to the UK, where many millions voted for Brexit for racist reasons…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We used to have a group of well educated Hungarian lads living next door – well educated in that they had mostly been to third level education in Hungary but were all working fairly low-paid jobs here. They were all nice blokes – until they got on to the subject of gypsies, travellers, Roma. It was all a bit “I’m not racist but…” once they did. And it was always them that wanted to steer the conversation on to gypsies, despite my efforts not to get dragged in. There was absolutely no changing their views though – none at all.

So yeah, a good approach to any large scale population/immigration problem would be to look at what Hungary does and then not do that.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well the economic growth model in my lifetime has been responsible for dragging at least ten or more countries and billions of people out of extreme poverty in my lifetime alone. It’s also been responsible for changing evil political regimes and ultimately will stem global population growth… the average family size of countries in poverty is much higher than those that have become developed. Indeed most developed countries are facing population crises as the birthdate has dropped so much. Do you really think Merkyl opened the doors to Syrian refugees for humanitarian reasons or as a quick injection for the German population? It was the latter. So the growth model is not evil and is sustainable and is not responsible for global population growth. No government or political system has been anywhere as successful as the global economy at dragging people and whole nations out of poverty and improving their lives and prospects.

The problem in Hungary is more to do with the EU and freedom of movement. If you were a Hungarian living in some crappy rural village in poverty on cents a day why wouldn’t you upnsticks and go to the uK or Germany to benefit from their generous benefits system, free healthcare and earn a few weeks wages a day washing cars or picking strawberry’s? It’s handy for us In developed counties to benefit from an influx of cheap labour, and boy have we benefitted, but it’s devastating for the countries from which they came.

iolo
    Free Member

I live 20 minutes from the Hungarian border and until 1921 was Hungary.
    I know politically Hungary is far from perfect but the Hungarian people are really very nice.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

One side of my family is compromised of Hungarians who fled Hungary before the ww2 and then fought their own country for the bantz and because they were Jews. There’s a good reason why they are viewed politically as racist little shits. They do their best to out Trump the Trumpster.

Every Hungarian I’ve met who I’ve liked has been another Hungarian refugee who calls their homecountry the Alabama of Europe.

slowoldman

So the growth model is not evil and is sustainable and is not responsible for global population growth.

I think the argument is that economic growth REQUIRES population growth not that it is responsible for it. I don’t think population growth is sustainable and I’m pleased it’s slowing down. I’m even more please that it’s slowing down due to falling poverty.

globalti
    Free Member

Subsidies for a 7 seat SUV? Our Hungarian neighbour drove the same clapped-out SUV on HU plates for years and years, paid no road tax and, we suspected, didn’t insure it, also paid no Council Tax (claimed the house was for holidays) and we also suspect didn’t insure their house.

Lovely people though!

kimbers

Every Hungarian I’ve met who I’ve liked has been another Hungarian refugee who calls their homecountry the Alabama of Europe.

yup the Hungarians Ive worked with all deplore Orban- the same old fascist model of scapegoating immigrants to distract from your own corruption

was shocked at the amount of nazi memorabelia you can buy in teh flea markets in Budapest, that was about 8 years ago, imagine its worse now.

orangespyderman

I know politically Hungary is far from perfect but the Hungarian people are really very nice.

I’m curious who votes in the fascists if there isn’t a majority of fascists.

slowoldman

You do know it doesn’t require a majority of voters to end up with a majority government don’t you (even here in this beacon of democracy the UK)?

orangespyderman

You do know it doesn’t require a majority of voters to end up with a majority government don’t you (even here in this beacon of democracy the UK)?

Yes, I do. Let me rephrase :

I’m curious who votes in the fascists if the fascists are only a small minority.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

yup the Hungarians Ive worked with all deplore Orban- the same old fascist model of scapegoating immigrants to distract from your own corruption

Yeah, they laugh about Brexit here and usually state “oh well, it’s not that serious, you’re country isn’t racist like ours is racist”.

We do half arsed racism, we’re so politically apathetic I think that when we do it half the time we don’t even believe in or act on our own xenophobia. The one thing that makes me feel easier about my country are the stories that my Romanian, Greek and Hungarian friends tell.

A lot of Brexit voters were only racist enough to vote for Brexit if their pockets weren’t damaged that hard, parts of Europe are prone to tearing themselves completely apart and starting big **** off wars over it though. That is something the British, could weirdly, be patriotically proud of – but they aren’t – they’re even apathetic about the good points of their own bloody country.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hungarian approach to declining population’ is closed to new replies.