Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Hundreds of dead baby girls have been found in Pakistani rubbish dumps
  • vickypea
    Free Member

I was sort of sitting on the fence in this thread for the first half, but now I agree with funkmasterP

globalti
    Free Member

If it’s true it adds credence to something I’ve always suspected; I used to travel to Pakistan twice a year and was quite friendly with the families of three of my customers who used to invite me round for dinner. All three families had four sons and no daughters. When my agent had his first son I congratulated him and said: “You’ll be looking forward to a daughter next time!” He turned to me in shock; “Oh my God no, that would be a disaster – can you imagine how much that would cost us?”

kcr
    Free Member

If it’s true it adds credence to something I’ve always suspected

It’s not a secret:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_infanticide
    Female infanticide is a well known historic problem, particularly in India and Pakistan, due to the dowry system, and China, where it was exacerbated by the one child policy.
    I guess the positive news is that more people are prepared to speak out about it (like the Pakistani groups mentioned in the original article) and social attitudes are slowly changing with education and hopefully better economic opportunities for women.

tinribz
    Free Member

Am puzzled what point the OP is trying to make. Is it about female priviledge because in pakistan males are obliged to contribute more to the family finances than females. Is it an anti Muslim? Or a call for cultural colonialism?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

When did this place turn into Facebook?

If it has, wait till you see pic 3, you won’t believe what they look like now, tears literally rolling down my face

jamj1974

Female infanticide is a huge issue. Globally, it is still a very significant problem – not just in Pakistan.

Generally it is tied into a failure to value women as equal and valuable in society – something we still have a massive problem with in the UK.

Maybe Pakistan needs stop assigning gender at birth. Many of the baby girls might have been boys born in the wrong body.

Funnily enough, this is often less of an issue in Pakistan than it is here…

tinribz
    Free Member

Generally it is tied into a failure to value women as equal and valuable in society – something we still have a massive problem with in the UK

Wrong on both fronts. It is tied primarily to the welfare state. In wealthier countries the state has taken responsibility from extended family for the welfare of the elderly. And in Muslim countries women become part of their husband’s family exclusively after marriage. Mothers control the sons and the sons their wives.

Re massive problem here, the facts indicate that women currently have more opportunity and priviledge than men.

jamj1974

Wrong on both fronts. It is tied primarily to the welfare state. In wealthier countries the state has taken responsibility from extended family for the welfare of the elderly. And in Muslim countries women become part of their husband’s family exclusively after marriage. Mothers control the sons and the sons their wives.

Re massive problem here, the facts indicate that women currently have more opportunity and priviledge than men.

Absolute rubbish.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.