Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hunched over, furiously rubbing away, but my helmet barely gets any bigger…..
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Why oh why (TF) can’t they make blasted MTB helmets in a full range of sizes (including elephant Man xxxl)…

I’m so thoroughly bored of gouging chunks out of the polystyrene with a heated spoon or rubbing away for hours with sandpaper. Fair enough Giro have come out with some big no face helmets in the last ten years but the bastards don’t do Switchblade and other FFs in the biggest size.

So I’m sat here with a 661 FF with the MIPS ripped out of it desperately trying to sand down the inside without ripping the lining to shit.

64_65cm my **** arse.

PS, anyone want to buy a MIPS for their helmet 😜.what could possibly go wrong…

richardkennerley

You ever tried an endura one? I’ve got a stupid shaped head so need a bigger one. I bought an MT500 helmet which felt right initially, but I now realise it’s frigging massive and now I’m stuck with it.

lesgrandepotato

Are you the bloke out the goonies?

Superficial
    Free Member

7/10 good rant.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Bloody hell. That statue is literally one mile from my house.

You ever tried an endura one? …. I bought an MT500 helmet ……. now I’m stuck with it.

How about a swap. My 661 has literally never been used, so you’re getting a really good deal 😁

stwhannah

I think 661 come up small… try an ixs? I think the new Trigger FF is pretty big.

coatesy
    Free Member

Can’t help with sizing, but I feel your pain (literally, in two places, one each side of the head), just had to sand back 2 odd shaped lumps moulded into my new Specialized helmet, just to the rear of the forehead, and it took ages. Got no idea why they put them there, I don’t know of anybody with corresponding dents that they’d fit into.

joemmo
    Free Member

with a 63″, pointy fronted heed I’ve gravitated towards Giro as well but having to carve chunks out of the liner to make it fit… that must be a pain.

mashr

I’m not sure that carving out the part thats there to protect your brain is the ideal solution. If wearing a full facer I assume its for uplifts? If so, have you looked at motocross helmets instead?

IA

FF you really do need to try on, as I think shape matters much more as well as size. I find the largest troy lee lids to fit my bonce best, where 661 don’t.

cyclelife
    Free Member

63cm square head here! Giro, Troy Lee, 6D and 100% (DH lid) all fit comfortably

tthew

63″, pointy fronted heed

If your head really is 63 inches, I reckon half an oil drum with some foam padding would be a better fit than a bike helmet!

joemmo
    Free Member

Ah yes. I meant cm obviously. Thanks.

pandhandj
    Free Member

I’ve got a massive heid – Bell Super was a revelation!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve got a massive heid – Bell Super was a revelation!

No no NO

One of those statements is patently untrue.

Or the shop I visited just didn’t have the big ones in stock….

richardkennerley

My old bell super fitted my head better than my endura, but it wasn’t perfect (can’t remember what size it was.)

I’ve got an urge FF, that fits me ok.

PJay
    Free Member

The Bontrager Quantum comes in XXL for up to 66cm noggins.

Googling XXL bicycle helmet throws up https://helmets.org/bighead.htm, there must be something that’d work for you in that lot.

— Edit —

Sorry, ignore, I completely missed the full face bit!

— Edit Again! —

Those Fly Racing BMX helmets come in X-Large & 2X-Large sizes if you can find a UK supplier to try one out.

threerock44
    Free Member

661 Reset non-Mips XXL for my mega cranium. Mips steals space…..

Gunz
    Free Member

Another schwad here. Always swore by Giros but wanted a removable chin bar without my ears being covered without it. Now have a Bell Super and it’s very comfy.

dmorts

You can’t buy a helmet on the stated size alone. Trying (and buying) from a shop is the best option. If you don’t have a decent shop nearby, online is possible if you suck up the returns postage or use PayPal’s offer of refunding return postage (you get 12 per year I think)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hunched over, furiously rubbing away, but my helmet barely gets any bigger…..’ is closed to new replies.