Humour me – helmets with removable peaks

Home Forum Bike Forum Humour me – helmets with removable peaks

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Humour me – helmets with removable peaks
  • Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Having managed to land on my head twice, I figure it’s best to replace my current lid.

Now I know the best helmet is one that will fit my head, but before I start trawling round the LBS’ trying them on, can anyone offer suggestions for a helmet with a removable peak/visor in the £50-75 price range.

(I’m one of those fashion victims that thinks a visor gets in the way on the road bike, but a peakless helmet on an MTB just looks wrong to me. And I’m too tight to buy one of each!)

I like the peak ’cause it helps keep flies out my eyes in the summer and mud out my face in the winter.

Mine has a removable visor but I’ve never actually removed it. It’s just a £40 Specialized job

butcher
    Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Cheers – Spesh will be my first port of call, seem to fit better than the current Bell

Any others?

Coleman

How about a Giro Athlon from those nice guys at Planet X?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HEGIATHL12/giro_athlon_helmet_2012

I_Ache

Urge Endur-o-matic. Will look great on a road bike.

Possibly the comfiest helmet I have ever worn and not as hot as it looks.

steezysix

Giro Feature, cheap light and good head coverage for mtb. Maybe not as vented as other designs, so depends if you’re a hothead.

bol

If Specialized lids fit your bonce (which they probably will unless it’s a particularly unusual shape), then that’s what I’d go for. There are some bargains to be had on last year’s S-Works 2d if you shop about, which is excellent, if a bit above your target price.

jonba

Bell sweep although when I got mine it was out of your price range.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I thought Giro Hex were compulsory round these parts?

Another vote for the Bell Sweep. The fit is a little different, the Bells seem to fit my head better. (wider?) It suits me as the shape fits and there is minimal padding.

There is (or was) a road version, and an MTB version with a peak. The peak is removeable, so the MTB version is the same as the road version, but a different colour.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Bell Slant is under budget, very comfy (for me), very airy and peak pops on and off easily.

Go and try one on.

epo-aholic

i have a top of the range Bell Volt in Medium with removable peak thats sat in its box never used as it ‘doesn’t suit me’, sad i know but if you could stretch your budget a bit? Bought it on a whim, looked great in the pics but doesn’t sit right on my head, i should’ve stuck to MET helmets!

bobbyg81

I have a Specialized Align. Cheap at only £30, looks decent and is really comfy with plenty of airflow.

druidh

Aren’t they all removable?

My Spesh align technically has a removeable peak, but it bends slightly once you take it off and then looks wrong when it’s back on.

For £50-75 you can get two Aligns and take the peak off of one! They’re <£30 a pop.

makkag

met Kaos !!

Just bought Met crossover for the same reasons as you OP. Worn twice so far and very comfortable. Looks good with and without lid. Very god value IMO.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/met-crossover-roadmtb-helmet-2012/

HTTP404

Rudy Project Zuma.
    Comes with peak and blanking adaptors for when on the road.

Premier Icon smogmonster
    Subscriber

Bell Sweep is available for £65 (rrp £100) at Ribble…as is the Volt at £100 (RRP £150ish – mine arrived today!). Looks great without the peak, havent tried with peak on yet..its for my road riding only.

cynic-al

Don’t more or less all peaked helmets have removeable peaks?

jruk

Don’t buy a helmet. You’ll die. Ask TJ.

TooTall

Uvex

Really underrated helmets but superbly comfortable, adjustable and really well priced.

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

makkag – Member
    met Kaos !!

+1, I’ve got a Met shaped head though!

I’ve got a Uvex XP100 and love it buy the peak isn’t removable. Unsure of their others are.

Premier Icon enigmas
    Subscriber

I use a giro athlon, a very roadie looking xc helmet and has a brilliant level of adjustment. Might be able to still get it from one one as well..

AndyP

’cause it helps keep flies out my eyes in the summer and mud out my face in the winter.
    Forgive me, I’m a cynic who doesn’t see the point of peaks in the first place. But… It keeps the mud out of your eyes?? A peak is *above* your eyeline, right? Where do you ride? I’ve never seen it *rain* mud before.

crikey

I’m one of those fashion victims

Yes, yes you are.

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

I have a Spesh Tactic and a Giro Phase. Both have removable peaks that should pop on and off without too much hassle. Both £30 half price from Evans/On-one respectively. The Tactic looks “bigger” on and you have the joy of wearing a “shiny red helmet”. The Giro looks smaller but it appears the same physical size.

Phase at On-one:
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HEGIPHA12/giro_phase_helmet_2012

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

As this has strangely made it back to the front page, I ended up with a Spesh Vice, half price at Leisure Lakes – it fits, it’s light, it’s very well ventilated and I recommend it at half price!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Humour me – helmets with removable peaks’ is closed to new replies.