Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Humans are a Plague on Earth.
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Why should we apologise for who we are?

I didn’t say that, it annoys me when people think our technological development and dominance over other species is a good thing and something to be proud of. Well, maybe it is, but we should not be proud of the way we have achieved this since the industrial revolution.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Why should we apologise for who we are?

I didn’t say that, it annoys me when people think our technological development and dominance over other species is a good thing and something to be proud of. Well, maybe it is, but we should not be proud of the way we have achieved this since the industrial revolution.

richmtb

Absolutely. But we compete with other natural processes, and we destroy them to an extent seemingly unprecented- we are a 2 legged extinction event. The world will always be covered in “nature”, even if that nature is ice sheets and deserts.

I actually agree with you NW, I was really just pointing out that Attenborough’s argument was a bit daft – but it’s probably deemed more newsworthy than the more sensible suggestion that we should try to limit our impact on the planet as it will all be a bit shit if we don’t!

06awjudd
    Free Member

I’m actually rather pleased that for once someone get’s my rather robotic sense of morality instead of calling me a “Hitler”. (No hard feelings about that by the way)

😯 I didn’t call you Hitler if you are referring to me. But I do agree with your solution if not your view on humanity.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I agree, but people like David A. make me wary.

You know, when I got home from school when I was 11 or 12….on 9/11…..the first thing to spring to mind was that Green Peace had gone a bit too far.

Some of the discourse coming out of the Green movement really worries me sometimes and that is what has put me off. It’s not that I don’t agree with certain points etc or believe the wholesale destruction of the rainforest is a good thing….it’s just I dislike many of their philosophical inclinations.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I didn’t call you Hitler if you are referring to me. But I do agree with your solution if not your view on humanity.

It’s no biggy, I love heated discussions! They make me question my own point of view, that’s what life should be about.

richmtb

You know, when I got home from school when I was 11 or 12….on 9/11…..the first thing to spring to mind was that Green Peace had gone a bit too far.

Genuine WTF!

Spin
    Free Member

Plague is a crap analogy. If we’re the plague, what’s the vector? I think fungus works better.

sputnik
    Free Member

Agent Smith: I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you’re not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You’re a plague and we are the cure.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Well I’m no treehugger, but you have got to admire their desire to actually do something about it rather then just accept it as the way it is, even if many of them are as mad as a meat axe.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s pretty easy to see that this growth can continue and not cause a problem. population has more than doubled in 60 years and isn’t slowing down at some point it’s going to bite us.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Ernie, I’ll take your pedantry on the nose. We do destroy things, as do bacteria and stars.

However, the point I was trying to make is that said destruction is not a moral issue. we are no more immoral to dig up coal than bacteria are to consume a leaf.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Genuine WTF!

Well…..the twin towers were a symbol of globalization and corporate greed……Islamic terrorism had kind of been off the radar……despite a few limited attacks.

Turns out the FBI thought so to and subsequently investigated many environmental groups post 9/11, before they gained a clear picture of what happened.

06awjudd
    Free Member

That barchart makes no sense, I think it needs some axis.
    Is that year (AD) on the x axis and population (million) on the y?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yes it is. Sorry.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Population control is easy btw, we just get a big worldwide deathmatch. 2 kills and yer through to the next round! :mrgreen:

bwaarp
    Free Member

bwaarp
    Free Member

The United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs report (2004) projects the world population to peak at 9.22 billion in 2075. After reaching this maximum the world population is projected to decline slightly and then resume increasing slowly, to reach a level of 8.97 billion by 2300, about the same as the projected 2050 figure

Doomed……WE’RE DOOOOMED I TELLS YA!

06awjudd
    Free Member

It’s scary to think that it took around 100,000 years for our population to reach 3.5bn, yet that figure had doubled in around 45 years. I don’t think it’s going to be pretty when it peaks, but it will probably save many a problem.

bwaarp
    Free Member

It’s scary to think that it took around 100,000 years for our population to reach 3.5bn, yet that figure had doubled in around 45 years. I don’t think it’s going to be pretty when it peaks, but it will probably save many a problem.

All projections seem to say otherwise.

The worry is consumption, we just have to make sure our consumption is cleaner. We need to do this through massive government investment in new technologies, much like government heavily invested in new technologies that enabled the industrial revolution.

nealglover
    Free Member

Genuine WTF!

Indeed. Although as an 11 year old I don’t suppose I had a clue what was actually going on in the world either 😉

give chimps 50,000 years and they will only do the same as us.

They haven’t managed to do a massive amount in the last Five Million years or so.

But maybe we are holding them back, 50,000 years unhindered and I’m sure they could manage stuff like Shoes, Melon ballers, chainsaws, nuclear reactors, satellites, and wide handlebars etc.

joolsburger
    Free Member

0.5% growth on current numbers is still massive population growth when our starting figure is over six billion.

richmtb

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area.

See Agent Smith is talking shite here. Natural equilibrium doesn’t exist (and never has)

Just ask the Red Deer

Spin
    Free Member

They haven’t managed to do a massive amount in the last Five Million years or so.

I heard that some of them were working on producing the complete works of Shakespeare by hitting random keys on a typewriter.

Man, those chimps think BIG.

Spin
    Free Member

See Agent Smith is talking shite here.

Not to mention mixing his metaphors. A virus and a cancer?

wrecker
    Free Member

But maybe we are holding them back, 50,000 years unhindered and I’m sure they could manage stuff like Shoes, Melon ballers, chainsaws, nuclear reactors, satellites, and wide handlebars etc.

I hope you’re right. I’d hate to think that the poor chimps will never experience the joy of 800mm bars.

06awjudd
    Free Member

The worry is consumption, we just have to make sure our consumption is cleaner. We need to do this through massive government investment in new technologies, much like government heavily invested in new technologies that enabled the industrial revolution.

You don’t think there will be food shortages?

JCL
    Free Member

This place seems to be worse than anywhere for spreading the plague. Hardly a week goes by without some boringly proud Dad coming on here and happily rabbling on about his latest offspring.

Yeah well done super Dad, really impressive… Another 3000 nappies in the landfill.

06awjudd
    Free Member

This place seems to be worse than anywhere for spreading the plague. Hardly a week goes by without some boringly proud Dad coming on here and happily rabbling on about his latest offspring.

Yeah well done super Dad, really impressive those 3000 nappies in the landfill…

There’s nothing wrong with having kids…..

nealglover
    Free Member

Turns out the FBI thought so to and subsequently investigated many environmental groups post 9/11, before they gained a clear picture of what happened.

I think you need to re read those news stories. And try joining the dots again.

The FBI never thought Greenpeace or any other Environmental group were responsible for the 9/11 attacks !

Houns

INRAT but yes, humans should be limited to having one child each

Torminalis
    Free Member

INRAT but yes, humans should be limited to having one child each

Awesome plan. Assuming everyone is a parent, we will be back down to about 89 people in only 27 generations. 😆

bwaarp
    Free Member

You don’t think there will be food shortages?

No, the worlds 100 richest people could end food poverty 4 times over through investment in food production according to Oxfam…..or something like that. Then we have to suffer the hilarity of listening to Bill Gates bang on about Global Warming and population on Ted Talks….when it is in fact he who is the problem and could help solve the problem of third world birthrates if he handed over 25 percent of his wealth. The problem is the hoarding of wealth.

We need to bring the rich back into line before they get any more ideas from Malthus.

I think you need to re read those news stories. And try joining the dots again.

The FBI never thought Greenpeace or any other Environmental group were responsible for the 9/11 attacks !

Well it was years ago when I read them, this is beside the point. I don’t like much of the discussion from the green community. Especially when it comes from the likes of Prince Charles, Bill Gates, Al Gore or any other rich bastard.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Humans are great.
    We’ve made the world we live in so interesting and beautiful.
    We destroy beauty but also manipulate our environment to create astounding beauty.

A baked bean tin has as much intrinsic beauty as an untouched forest or glacial valley.

It’s a matter of opinion, not FACT.

ahwiles
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member
    … we have to suffer the hilarity of listening to Bill Gates bang on about Global Warming and population on Ted Talks….when it is in fact he who is the problem and could help solve the problem of third world birthrates if he handed over 25 percent of his wealth…

he’s giving away practically all of it, and he’s quite successful at pursuading other billionaires to do the same.

you may not like it, but he’s one of the good guys.

google: bill and melinda.

i agree with attenborough, we’re a plague.

and by that i mean; it’s just our weight of numbers that’s the problem.

yunki
    Free Member

narrow minded Humans are a Plague on Earth.

bwaarp
    Free Member

he’s giving away practically all of it, and he’s quite successful at pursuading other billionaires to do the same.

you may not like it, but he’s one of the good guys.

google: bill and melinda.

i agree with attenborough, we’re a plague.

and by that i mean; it’s just our weight of numbers that’s the problem.

Horsecrap, Bill is and never was one of the good guys. If he was, he’d have given away more of his wealth by now. He has not. This is where I agree with Monbiot…..numbers are not the problem….consumption and the type of consumption is.

You like many others just want to carry on your affluent western lifestyle at the expense of brown people.

wobbem
    Free Member

I love this: From the Matrix
    Agent Smith: Can you hear me, Morpheus? I’m going to be honest with you. I… hate this place, this zoo, this prison, this reality, whatever you want to call it. I can’t stand it any longer. It’s the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink. And every time I do I feel I have somehow been infected by it. It’s repulsive, isn’t it? I must get out of here. I must get free and in this mind is the key, my key. Once Zion is destroyed there is no need for me to be here, don’t you understand? I need the codes. I have to get inside Zion, and you have to tell me how. You’re going to tell me, or you’re going to die.

Things are only going to get worse………… 👿

06awjudd
    Free Member

A baked bean tin has as much intrinsic beauty as an untouched forest or glacial valley.

I laughed a lot at that…… until I realized you weren’t joking 🙄

Spongebob
    Free Member

And people like Bill Gates are only adding to the problem. He believes he is doing his bit for humanity with his Malaria eradication programme.

The culture in the third world is t have as many children as possible, because people know many will be lost through starvation, illness, accident etc. In the third world, they think this: children=security in old age. So the more offspring you have, the better protected you will be.

You have to change attitudes and educate people to have one child. Fat chance in places like Africa. The Chinese seem to have managed though.

Even here, it is generally those who can least afford children, who have too many. The rest of society picks up the tab, like this is all ok.

In the end, you have to worry about what you can change, so this matter is for world governments to sort out. If they don’t, Attenborough’s prediction will be borne out.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Humans are a Plague on Earth.’ is closed to new replies.