Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Huh. And there I thought chains slipping on cogs was user error…
  • big_scot_nanny

😳

Broke a pawl on my salsa fat hub (again, but thats for another thread)

changed the freewheel, and at same time changed chain and chainring.

On first ride, the most horrendous cracking and slipping that could be felt easily throught the pedals. Indexing was perfect, so thought that the whole hub must be borked. Took it to my wonderful LBS, in a bit of a stinking mood.

He just let me know today that it was the chain slipping round the cassette teeth as they were so worn. 😳

I thought when other people said this they were talking bollocks, but turns out I am in fact an idiot, and perhaps after 9months of heavy use, there was more than a little wear which a new chain exposed.

What a fanny I am, and apologies to those upon whom my aspersions have been cast.

I blame Trump. And Farage.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. New chain on worn cassette = slipping. You have to change the chain pretty early on to get a new one on the same cassette. But if you do the cassette will last ages.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I too was unaware of this until earlier this year – partly I guess due to my meagre power output. Changed chain, but needed bike to go into shop for a few other bits doing. Mechanic rather ‘larger’ than me took it out for a quick test spin and within a couple of hard pedal strokes chain slipped and deposited him balls first on the top tube 😆

scotroutes

Two chains per cassette seems to work OK. Swap them regularly or replace when the first is at 7% and run the second into the ground. If using softer chainrings then it might be prudent to change the second chain and the cassette at the 7% mark.

FWIW our hybrid hire fleet went from 8 speed to 9 speed for 2016 and chain life has been much, much better.

kcal

user renamed as ‘big_scot_fanny’ 🙂

dirtydog
    Free Member

Often brought on early by poor chain wrap due to having the b adjust wound all the way in to clear non standard cassettes.

Changing at .75 I get 3 chains to a cassette, once on the third chain run the lot into the ground.

ampthill

I’m convinced in my mind that only having 1 ring must speed up the process

thecaptain
    Free Member

Interesting phenomenon. Not the chain slip, but the “it hasn’t happened to me so it must be bollocks” attitude. I wonder where it comes from?

big_scot_nanny

Aye, big_scot_fanny reporting for duty, thanks kcal 😉

I’m just pleased its a cheap fix, I was totting up the cost of a new hub and wheel build, plus bike time-off-the-trail, and it is thankfully not an issue.

thecaptain- y’what now?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Huh. And there I thought chains slipping on cogs was user error…’ is closed to new replies.