Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hugh Porter – Hasn't got a Scooby Doo
  • Spin
    Free Member

Thats clue for those not hip to rhyhming slang.

Lost count of his blunders last night on the Tour of Britain.

You know it’s bad when it makes Brian Smith look good.

atlaz
    Free Member

Carlton Kirby is making me want to kill him recently. He explained in great length recently how a rider was pulling down his armwarmers to reduce weight and drag. Conveniently ignoring the fact they were still on him but now all bunched up around his wrists.

globalti
    Free Member

I think they do a damned good job TBH; I certainly couldn’t keep talking for the duration of a 4 hour race and I certainly couldn’t identify and remember the names of all those riders.

crazy-legs

Hugh is definitely past it now.

Don’t get me wrong: he’s a well known name, he did a good job in the past, he’s been a champion in his own right but for years now he’s been relying too much on his knowledge rather than actually doing his research – unfortunately his knowledge can no longer keep up. For a while it was funny – sort of Murray Walker-isms – but now it’s just cringeworthy. Moves missed, riders mis-identified, tactics mis-described.

NJA

Last night he called Quintana and Martin in the off the front and lead 2km after they had been caught by the bunch and told the world Thor Hushovd had won the 2011 world championship in Australia. His commentary is frankly embarrassing, at least Duffers was funny when he got it wrong.

rusty90
    Free Member

He’s the Bruce Forsyth of the cycling world. It’s quite surreal to hear him confidently asserting the exact opposite of what you can see on the screen with your own eyes, or completely ignoring the crucial attack of a race as it takes place.

I certainly couldn’t identify and remember the names of all those riders.

The numbers and team jerseys they wear give a bit of a clue.

MrSparkle

Him and Liggett – the dream team… Sheesh! 😐

dazh

I especially liked it last night when at the exact moment Quintana attacked he chose to do a Paul Sherwen style history lesson about Caerphilly Castle.

Edric64
    Free Member

If you saw the attack live does it matter about the history lesson ?

globalti
    Free Member

I don’t know his name but the commentator at the finish line takes some beating; he has a long blond ponytail and the wrong voice – we’ve seen him in action at a couple of town centre crits. You’ll be able to hear him droning on in the background to the TV commentary.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hugh Porter – Hasn't got a Scooby Doo’ is closed to new replies.