Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Huey Morgan losing the plot on Buzzcocks!
  • spacemonkey

+1 for Huey being a dick. Have never liked the guy, always found him arrogant, conceited and full of self love. His R6 set is good though.

+1 fr the Rizzla guys handing him a verbal slap down.

DezB
    Free Member

I really don’t care what anyone else thinks. Or what anyone thinks of what I think. Or what anyone thinks of what I think of what they think.
    I listen to plenty of pop pap with bad lyrics.
    But nothing that samples Unblelievable by EMF like something straight out of Bill Drummond’s ‘The Manual: How to Have a Number One Hit the Easy Way’ book.

kevin1911

I previously thought he was a bit of a knobber trying to put on a fake veneer of homeboy coolness, but I kinda liked that fact that he made the point about that round of the quiz just being one big cliche.

However, having just read that peice about his Twitter rants about Lauren (who I think is the best thing on daytime 6Music), his Buzzcocks outburst is put in a different context. Now I’m back to thinking he’s a bit of a knobber….

plumber
    Free Member

I like it when huey rips a guitar solo in the middle of a FLC track live

The rest of it I don’t care about

edlong
    Free Member

Yup ok, but am I allowed to think they’re not very good without being branded a snob? Isn’t that just inverse snobbery?

Yeah, sorry, my comment wasn’t aimed at individuals, more about the “hive mind” on musical credibility which isn’t just a STW thing – more that Lamacq / NME / studenty thing where bands cease to be any good once they’ve sold a few records to the masses etc, and anyone working in the field of “disposable pop” is by definition rubbish.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

more that Lamacq / NME / studenty thing where bands cease to be any good once they’ve sold a few records to the masses etc, and anyone working in the field of “disposable pop” is by definition rubbish

I always saw it as a bit of a contiuum; a bit like

make interesting but slightly different records, sell a few
    make less interesting and a bit more mainstream records, sell more
    make uninteresting mainstream samey records, sell lots
    make britains-got-the-next-ice-skating-x-factor-dance-talent, sell gazillions, but soul dies

I don’t know that any of these need to be classed as “no good”, all can be good in their own ways.

edlong
    Free Member

make interesting but slightly different records, sell a few
    make less interesting and a bit more mainstream records, sell more
    make uninteresting mainstream samey records, sell lots
    make britains-got-the-next-ice-skating-x-factor-dance-talent, sell gazillions, but soul dies

See, where we can probably all identify acts where at least part of that trajectory is true, there’s plenty of others who don’t fit it all. Fundamentally, that assumes that selling truck loads of records = selling out and taking the creative ambition out, which is not always true.

How about ABBA? Pure pop with no pretensions to be anything other than mainstream, not my cup of tea, but nothing fundamentally wrong with the way they wrote and performed songs, and does the fact that lots of people liked what they did make it less good?

How about Radiohead? Their first album is probably their most mainstream-accessible and they’ve gone progressively less so as they’ve gone along. And continued to sell loads

Beach Boys – started out with simple, mainstream, unadventurous pop, then developed pretensions to be more artistic, made “Good Vibrations”, often cited as the perfect “pop song” and not because it lacks ambition, quite the opposite.

Bowie – only started selling records (with the exception of Space Oddity) when he stopped trying to do disposable jump-on-this-week’s-genre-bandwagon singles and became a bit more creatively ambitious.

So, in summary, your description of the trajectory applies sometimes, but does seem to be widely accepted as a universal rule, with the effect that there’s a received wisdom that anything that sells well is inevitably rubbish, and the artist is a sellout, which is frankly cobblers as a universal rule.

EDIT: Forgot about the Beatles – probably the exact inverse of your trajectory. Increasingly ambitious / pretentious* (delete as per your opinion) as they went along, selling stupidly huge amounts of records all the way.

zippykona

It does prove what I’ve always believed to be true.
    The mugs are empty ,even when Fielding takes a sip.

Grizla
    Free Member

I saw FLC a few years back. Huey was talking a lot in between tracks and someone in the crowd heckled him about it. He made out like he was gonna go down there and sort him out, but deliberatley waited till one of the security guys came up to stop him. It was all quite sad. I did like their music though.

theflatboy
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

It does prove what I’ve always believed to be true.
    The mugs are empty ,even when Fielding takes a sip.

I think old HM’s problem was that the mug had been full to start with.

warton
    Free Member

My wife’s friend slept with Huey, about 7 years ago, after a Fun Lovin Criminals gig in Newcastle

she said he smoked a ridiculous amount of weed, and ‘struggled’ when shit got real in the bedroom.

she was fit as well.

billyboulders
    Free Member

As a middle aged long term music fan who’s been attending gigs for almost thirty years now, including some real classics, it was with much apprehension as to what I was letting myself in for that I took my teenage daughter and her friend to see Rizzle Kicks last year.
    They were brilliant.
    Talented lads, amazing timing and the way they verbally “riff” (I think thats the correct term 😉 ) off each other is really impressive. A really great live show.
    As far as their lyrics go, I don’t think they’re meant to be prog rock-esque deep and profound TBH. Although their Cigarette one for example is quite cleverly written IMO

theflatboy
    Free Member

Also, Mama do the Hump is basically just a Fatboy Slim tune – more about the beat than the lyrics, like everything he’s ever done. Personally I don’t think it suffers for it.

pictonroad

Insulting Laverne. Now I’m angry..

*sighs and heads off to google…

yunki
    Free Member

The most irritating thing about Rizzle Kicks is that someone at the BBC recently described them as ‘the biggest thing in UK hip hop’

They are not even the smallest thing in UK hip hop.. Surely someone should lose their job over that?

takisawa2

Saw FLC at Rock City in Nottingham, many years ago. Huey stopped mid song to be passed a joint from someone in the crowd, practically took the thing in one go, & carried on. Before one track he announced that for the next three minutes he was making love to every girl in the crowd. He was pretty cool. Then.

Edric64
    Free Member

Who is this Huey Morgan bloke ? Never heard of him or seen him before.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

What is this hippety hoppity of which you speak?
    Like HM until his little huff on NMTB, still like the music.

Sawyer
    Free Member

He does come across as a bit of a nob.

However, he made Come Find Yourself, so I’m on the fence.

Rizzle Kicks are good fun and make decent pop music.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

out of interest how much influence does the presenter have regards what music is played it their sole input or the producers and they are just the voice. I do realise some DJs have an increadible knowlege of a particular type of music

faint
    Free Member

He acted like a knob. Smashing a mug was childish and attention seeking. 6 music is good, but better if you can string two words together.
    Bring back Mark Lamarr ( and if he’s not available, Amstell)

dannyh
    Free Member

Disgraceful. Shocking, absolutely shocking…………….. that this tired old shit of a show is still on the air.

kevin1911

Bring back Mark Lamarr ( and if he’s not available, Amstell)

Beer from the radio. Someone really should invent that. Think I’ve just found a topic for the PhD I’ll never get round to doing….

DezB
    Free Member

As a middle aged long term music fan who’s been attending gigs for almost thirty years now, including some real classics,

Ooh, hark at you!! 😆

it was with much apprehension as to what I was letting myself in for that I took my teenage daughter and her friend to see Rizzle Kicks last year.
    They were brilliant.

Doesn’t stop that EMF sampling bollocks from being utter shit.

Edric64
    Free Member

Bump !who is this Morgan bloke ? I`m obviously from the wrong generation to know who he is !

DezB
    Free Member
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m gobsmacked at many of the responses on here. What I saw was some bloke (who to be fair I’ve never heard of) pointing out to a bunch of tedious drones, sycophantics and acolytes that what they were doing was dull and not at all funny.

Buzzcocks is a truly awful and the bloke was quite right to point out that what they were doing wasn’t funny.

I loved the bit where he told them it wasn’t funny and they replied of course it’s funny man cos they’re wait for it…. your lyrics. This is how the game works. Isn’t it great..

To which his reply was quite rightly “no it’s not it’s been done so many times before it’s just awful”

I paraphrase of course.

DezB
    Free Member

Are you also on drugs then?

Cos I thought it was most humourous. As was Huey’s red face when he was made to look a fool by a young upstart.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

But he wasn’t made to look a fool.
    He was the only one there who could actually see that the emperor was stark bollock naked.

Everyone else was just like ” man this is buzzcocks, it’s the funniest thing fawn fawn fawn”

Bit like you’re doing now really :0)

DezB
    Free Member

You didn’t see his red face then? I reckon that’s why he walked off: Embarrassment.
    I dunno why I still find Buzzcocks funny, but I do and I don’t really care why!

flicker
    Free Member

He’s obviously a slow learner then, 9 times on the show? same format each time…..still took the money.

CountZero

As a middle aged long term music fan who’s been attending gigs for almost thirty years now, including some real classics,

Lightweight! 😉 Forty-three years, me. I’ve got four gigs over seven days next week alone, two in London, one in Bath, one in Bristol. 😀
    And Huey dissing LaLa is pretty rich, he’s basically known for one single, Scooby Snacks; Kenickie, while only releasing two albums and two ep’s had seven chart singles. I saw them twice, on one tour they had to break off partway through to do A-Levels, and they’re still one of the sharpest, most fun live bands I’ve ever seen. Lauren is a very intelligent and perceptive presenter, a lot smarter than Huey is, that’s for sure.

yunki
    Free Member

Lol at only known for Scooby snacks..

I can only think of one Smiths song, is Morrissey shitter than Kenickie too? (I’ve honestly never heard a Kenickie song.. Is it an NME/Lamaque cliche thing?)

disclaimer – I’d much rather listen to Laverne than Huey in a presenting capacity

Northwind

Just looked to me like the joke wasn’t working for him- I found the 2 Rizzle children pretty funny, but if you’re already feeling like the joke’s dying then it’d just drive you mad. So you see the contrast, Phil Jupitus laughing and Huey just out of it completely. He looks more confused than angry.

Tiger6791

He’s getting on a bit now and the battle with middle age spread reigns supreme.

I bet you anything that he’s on the iDave diet which makes middle age men say rash and grumpy things

Scooby snacks are not allowed on iDave

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’d never heard of Huey either! Rizzle kicks went up in my estimations after that 🙂

Can’t say that I’m a huge fan of their music. That’s the great thing about music though….it’s subjective. I wouldn’t brand them as shit, just not my thing.

Markie
    Free Member

He’s obviously a slow learner then, 9 times on the show? same format each time…..still took the money.

This.

passtherizla
    Free Member

he’s a knob and his band were shit.

ajc
    Free Member

I would wager that big haired rizzle lands some more presenting jobs after that. Huey had clearly been smoking a bit much before the show but he hardly lost it

drummer
    Free Member

No mugs left in my house …hmmphfff
    I’d be interested to hear what he say’s about it, has it been reported anywhere ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Huey Morgan losing the plot on Buzzcocks!’ is closed to new replies.