Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Huel – Any experiences
  • mj27
    Free Member

I am looking at Huel to replace lunch over the summer while not starving my body of what it needs but with the aim of taking in less calories and losing a bit of timber.

It seems to be getting well marketed so before I send them my cash;

Any experiences or alternatives?

robola

Why, just eat food. Better and/or less.

dissonance

Sainsburys (and possibly other supermarkets) sell it so suggest trying a bottle or two from there.
    I found it really didnt agree with me (stomach ache/cramps) but have seen some claims you need to slowly increase consumption. Didnt taste good enough to try though.

andylc
    Free Member

Yuck is all I can say. And why?

chvck
    Free Member

We use it sometimes. Handy for lunch when we just cba to make something. It’s easy and you know how many calories etc… you’re getting. I wouldn’t use it for every meal or anything but I do like it. I don’t eat much meat and very little diary so things like quick sandwiches tend to be pretty boring anyway.

onehundredthidiot

It’s the noise you make when you “take” it. Just eat better, I’ve gone for a raw veg smoothie. Basing it around gazpacho.

scud
    Free Member

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes following COVID for a third time, so i had to lose weight quickly to place it back into remission.

I used the Huel Edition Black coffee caramel flavour meal replacement powder as a meal twice a day, 40g of plant based protein but only 18g carbs, it was great at what i needed if for, to be able to count calories easily, to have a high protein, low carb diet and have a complete macro/micro nutrients in diet.

Always mix with almond milk, it is so much nicer than with water and put in blender or similar.

Had that for breakfast and lunch, then proper low carb meal at tea.

No i have shed the weight, but still need to keep a lowish carb lifestyle, I use their protein powder a lot, the Complete Protein vanilla flavour which is 20g protein and no carbs, i mix it with 50g of jumbo oats, sprinkle of chia seeds and 150ml almond milk and leave it overnight, add some greek yoghurt and berries and it has fuelled many a 100+ mile ride.

It doesn’t replace a good diet and it is expensive, but it is an easy way of knowing exactly what you are putting in your body, handy to take to work too.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s by the far the healthiest ‘quick thing’ you can grab in seconds. Not everyone can be or wants to be a chef preparing super healthy meals three times a day. I mean well done, if you do, but besides the work of actual prep it takes planning, skill and knowledge to do. And sometimes that’s just more thing that sometimes people just cannot handle. So if it’s a choice between Huel and a sausage roll, which is better?

Don’t pile onto threads like these being all superior. It really grates tbh.

alan1977
    Free Member

yup, lived on it during work, 3 meals a day for perhaps the last 6 or 7 years, cheaper than lunchtime shop runs
    balanced
    i have the shakes for breakfast and afternoon, nad one of hte hot meals at lunch, 1200 cals and pretty much smash whatever i fancy to eat after that at home

joebristol

A mate at work did it and he did shed a lot of fat / bit of weight. He was a fit guy to start with but at 50 got himself almost to the point of looking shredded as well as still being able to bench 100kgs / deadlift 150kgs etc.

He found he followed it to the book for a while then just used the lunchtime shake mainly – had a porridge breakfast (50grams of oats with water) and sensible normal food evening meal.

He’d tried Herbalife and it messed with him too much digestion wise. My wife does a bit of Herbalife but she can’t stick to 2 meals a day replaces with shakes – she just ends up feeling too hungry.

Just as another idea I’ve had a lot of success with the ‘Lose It’ app which helps you track calories. It really makes me think about what I’m eating / doing.

You could use an app like that (free version is fine) and use something like hurl as your lunch so you keep that meal quick and easy / controlled calories.

I then changed from standard (sugary) breakfast cereals to 60 grams of oats made with mostly water. To make it taste more interesting I found skinny food company breakfast syrups are useful. Make it taste better but zero calories.

Another tip is a good snack when you want something sweet is sugar free jelly. Almost zero calories.

Kryton57

When I was consistently doing the travelling part of my travelling salesman’s role, it was hand to have in the car if lunch was difficult to find. But whole foods are much better IMO.

I did try it at home but it left me hungry enough to want a sandwich afterwards which kinda defeated the object.

MoreCashThanDash

Someone at our club used it when he turned 50 and decided he needed to use the timber,along with riding his bike.

5-6 years on he’s half the man he was and getting national level podium places in his age group at CX

BenjiM

Tinned soup works pretty well for me for lunch. Loads of variety and it’s cheap at 50p a tin. Sainsburys have a really good range of own brand soups, particularly the Love your veg range. Get a microwaveble mug with a lid on and your good to go (providing you’ve got a microwave!)

zilog6128

I really rate it. Have used the Black Edition (various flavours) for breakfast most days for years now. Actually quite like the taste! It’s not even that expensive, about a quid a serving I think, way cheaper than grabbing a meal-deal etc if that’s the alternative for lunch and as said, very quick to prepare.

But whole foods are much better IMO

The whole point of Huel is that it’s optimal nutrition, no? i.e. you could live on it. So how can you get better than optimal? 😃 Proper food is more interesting to eat though, I’ll give you that!

fossy

Proper food far more interesting. Life is too short. Ride more is the answer.

theotherjonv

Ride more is the answer.

You can’t outride a bad diet.

tjagain

It is not proper food. Its an expensive and nutionally poor way of reducing calories

VanHalen

Its an expensive and nutionally poor way of reducing calories

i thought the whole point of huel was that it wasnt nutritionally poor?

my fave lunch – mama tum yum noodles – is defo nutritionally poor!

PhilO
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017v6v

Radio 4 were cautiously complementary.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

When you eat food a big part of the nutritional jigsaw is emzymes that are produced when chewing, Huel may have all the nutrition in it but most of it just comes out the other end.
    More meaty goodness in a sausage roll.

zilog6128

The point of enzymes produced whilst chewing is to help break up lumps of food. If you’re eating lumpy Huel, you’re doing it wrong 😂 Plenty of enzymes etc in the digestive system to break Huel down. I will concede there’s more meat in a sausage roll though, given that Huel is vegan 🙄

theotherjonv

and if the £1 a meal is correct, not that expensive either. Might give it a go.

zilog6128

and if the £1 a meal is correct

just checked, £1.51/serving for the regular stuff & a bit more for the Black edition or gluten-free

alan1977
    Free Member

id argue, not nutritionally poor, and not a way of reducing calories
    just a simple way of managing them, at approx 400 cal per serving
    this is not meal replacement
    all it is is vegetables and grains dehydrated at the end of the day.

multi21
    Free Member

It’s fine, I had the vanilla’y one mixed with a bit of instant coffee every day for a while. Lost a fair bit of weight and it was fine. Tasted like coffee milkshake.

The only thing I’d say is the texture was slightly gritty due to the seeds etc (though mine was an older version than the current one).

For the “why not just eat less”, yes, true, but for whatever reason I found it easier to resist the temptation to top up my lunch with crisps or whatever knowing that I should only be having the shake.

matt303uk

I use it a few days a week for lunch when I can’t be bothered to make something or I’m in the office for my one day a week. Started using it to control my salt intake, amazing show much salt is just in the bread with a sandwich even before the fillings. Mixing Huel up in a blender and/or leaving in fridge for a few hours really helps reduce any powder/gritty texture.

Use it for lunch, when I first started gave me chronic shits, turns out I was a little sensitive to the flavourings, went plain and just blend in fruit, been banger ever since.

molgrips
    Free Member

It is not proper food. Its an expensive and nutionally poor way of reducing calories

Do you actually know what’s in it?

I don’t drink it, and have no plans to – it doesn’t appeal – but I don’t like people making ill informed statements.

Tinned soup works pretty well for me for lunch.

I like soups but there’s nowhere near enough calories in a tin of soup for me. One of those 500ml pots of some hearty pulse based soup from the fridge is much better but they cost more. And that’s basically what Huel is anyway.

theotherjonv

I’m in; have to buy 2 bags so have ca 35 meals worth at £1.70ish; could have saved 10% on that by subscription.

Lunch meal currently is a Tesco meal deal at £3.50 so I’ll be slim, rich, basically irresistible!!

hatter

Their subscription business model and human nature means that there’s usually a steady supply of unopened bags on Ebay for a fraction of the normal price.

I use it for lunch when I’m in the office, otherwise it’s a filthy sausage and egg sarnie from the snack van down the road, I’m a bit of a lost cause when it comes to healthy eating.

inbred853

I use it 4 days a week for lunch usually with some fruit. Tried the hot meals one once, rice based, but not very palatable, more like rice soup than the tasty dish on the packaging.
    I’ve not tried there newer pasta meals which look quite tasty, so sticking with the black edition powder for now. As mentioned tastes better made with oat/almond milk and chilled before drinking.

andylc
    Free Member

I’ve not looked heavily into it but if constantly eating processed food is bad, how is this good?

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

How about just eating normal food instead?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve not looked heavily into it but if constantly eating processed food is bad, how is this good?

I don’t think anyone except Huel is suggesting it’s perfect. Point is that it’s really quick and easy, and if you can’t manage real food it might be a good option. As in Kryton’s example, fairly sure it’s better than a Ginster’s pasty from a petrol station.

FuzzyWuzzy

I bought Huel Black Edition Strawberries & Cream plus another flavour I can’t remember + a box of bars. The Strawberries & Cream is just vile, OK I’m a bit of a fussy eater but I couldn’t force myself to drink it – the initial taste is reasonable but it’s got a weird after taste and the consistency when just mixed with water via shaking in the bottle (as per instructions) is horrid. I can see whizzed up in a blender and if made with almond milk or something it’s probably palatable.

The bars I got half way through one and threw them out

I’ve not tried the other flavour drink yet (mostly as it will be confirmation I wasted £90 if I can’t stomach it either). I might try it using a blender and some fake milk variant though.

I think the concept itself is fine, yes it’s expensive and yes with a bit more effort you can achieve the same with natural ingredients but the whole point is I’m lazy and plan poorly so having something reliable in the cupboard I can make for lunch to hopefully stop me snacking on biscuits instead would be a bonus

zilog6128

if constantly eating processed food is bad

there are several “levels” of processed foods, some are much worse than others. e.g., those which add loads of salt & sugar – which Huel obviously does not do.

nickc

This is the ingredient list for a Huel Powdered Cinnamon Swirl

Flour, Pea Protein, Ground Flaxseed, Brown Rice Protein, Tapioca Flour, Natural Flavourings, Sunflower Oil Powder, Micronutrient Blend*, Medium-Chain Triglyceride Powder (from Coconut), Stabiliser: Xanthan Gum, Acerola Cherry Powder, Emulsifier: Sunflower Lecithin, Kombucha Powder, Sweetener: Sucralose, Bacillus Coagulans.

This is how Ultra Processed Foods is defined (by the Beeb)

Long list of ingredients, some of which you can’t recognise as food, or aren’t commonly found in a kitchen at home. High fat or sugar content (Huel TBF do better than most here) and aggressive marketing and branding.

There’s quite a few studies that have shown that eating UPFs is not great long term, and there’s quite a bit of study about the weight re-gain people experience after stopping using meal-replacement diets.

I don’t think I’d want to have one everyday.

alan1977
    Free Member

yup the pasta’s are pretty good.. the macarno cheese has a nice savoury depth to it, and ive recently started on the chicken (flavour) and mushroom which is good.
    the rice based can be hit and missgetting the right ratio.. especially as the powder which makes the sauce tends to settle in transit…
    just checked my order history, ive been living off the stuff in work since Jan 2016.
    definitely not for everyone, and some flavours definitely dont work out for everyone. It will also make you quite regular…

zilog6128

Long list of ingredients, some of which you can’t recognise as food, or aren’t commonly found in a kitchen at home.

I don’t think I’d want to have one everyday.

don’t look the ingredients in supermarket bread then! 🤣

molgrips
    Free Member

there’s quite a bit of study about the weight re-gain people experience after stopping using meal-replacement diets.

I don’t think Huel is meant for weight loss, but for “busy people on the go”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.