Hue lighting?

• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  db.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hue lighting?
  • Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

Have got a Google mini and starting to look into the various things it can do.
    We currently have 2 lights, on the old fashioned plug timers, that come on in the morning and evening and thought it might be good to change them to Hue light bulbs.

I’ve seen that you can now set schedules and it looks fairly easy to do.

Is it just a case of buying a couple of bulbs or is there anything else required?

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

I think you’ll need the Hue Bridge as well (which acts as a hub for the lights), I doubt the mini will have a built-in hub. Other than that and downloading an app for some functions you’re good to go (you might find yourself doing a firmware update on the lights after getting them up and running, which can take a while (but I’ve only done this twice in about 18 months so far).

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

Just seen this deal on Amazon: Echo + Hue
    Seems about as cheap as buying 2 bulbs and doesn’t say anything about a bridge being needed…

Could put the mini in the shed then use Echo in the house?

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

IKEA smart bulbs work with Hue bridge now, and in theory so should the smart sockets.

So you can buy a Hue bridge/bulb deal on Black Friday. Then if you want to add to it in the future use IKEA bulbs

Or just buy the IKEA system..

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

The hue Bluetooth bulbs work without a hub, on offer at about £40 for three today on amazon, our as above get 2 with an echo for less than that (and ebay the echo if you don’t want it)

Otherwise there are plenty of WiFi bulbs available which run from an ap and will run from alexa of Google without any hub.

B.A.Nana

Currys are selling hue bulbs with a Google Nest Mini so looks like they do work without a bridge (with a Nest Mini at least). However, I’d presume you lose all the remote access features without a hue bridge (not sure about that), which for me was the reason for buying hue (all outside lights come on when arriving home).

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Yeah hadn’t realised the Hue bulbs (or some versions at least) offer bluetooth connectivity, mine connect via WiFi and need the Hue Bridge as my Echo doesn’t have it built-in. Wonder what the range is like for the bluetooth connectivity?

Premier Icon sam_underhill
    Subscriber

I’m just about to embark on a mash up of GU10 ikea bulbs with a hue bridge. I think a lot of the linking with google / echo features work better with a hub / bridge hence why I’m going down that route. The hue app is also miles better than ikea, so I picked up a cheap hue bridge on ebay. People often buy the kit for cheap bulbs and then sell the bridge on, so they are readily available and pretty cheap.

mindmap3

We have the Hue bridge and various Hue bulbs / light to by strips around the house.

I really like it and am lazy so am happy to ask Alexa to turn the on/off change colour etc.

B.A.Nana

Re the hue bridge, I read on here that Phillips are stopping supporting the gen1 bridge (the round version) so all remote functions won’t be possible on that bridge. So if buying on eBay, I’d avoid that gen1 bridge.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Buy a generic smart  bulb so you’re not ripped off buying a pointless hue hub.

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

The hub is incorporated into the new version of Echo I believe, that’s why that package doesn’t come with one.

Setting up routines is dead easy, the coloured ones are very effective, got one on a motion sensor which is also very effective. Got a widget on my phone and tablet to set “mood” lighting in the living room (i.e. dim the lights so they don’t reflect on the Tele!!)

It’s all gimmicky nonsense though when normal lights are cheap and do the job!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

The hub is incorporated into the new version of Echo I believe, that’s why that package doesn’t come with one.

Indeed they are my kids have one each and a hue bulb.

B.A.Nana

Can they be controlled outside wifi without a bridge? ie outside lights by geolocation from your phone whilst on your way home.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

I have 2 in my bedroom and have them set up as a sunrise alarm over 30 minutes, starting from deep red and ending up on full brightness, has definitely helped waking up in the mornings.

Like this:

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Only the plus isn’t it which has zigbee, the echo everything else (possibly not the new show) runs the bulbs via Bluetooth?

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Read up a bit more yesterday and seems the Hue Bluetooth bulbs have a pretty short range and are only recommended for in-room solutions (i.e. the smart assistant or wireless remote switch is in the same room as the light). So a Bridge + Hue zigbee lights (not sure why I said WiFi in a previous post…) is a better solution for most people. I guess the other makes that aren’t Bluetooth and don’t need a bridge are actually WiFi and each bulb has it’s own IP?

DrP

I like the Hues…

I used to have ‘generic wifi bulbs’..TP link Kasa actually…

However, for one or two they are cheaper, but once you get 5+ bulbs, though the bridge is pricey, each individual bulb worked out a lot less….

And I find the hub controlled bulbs respond quicker.

I still use TP link Kasa plugs all round my place to control floor lamps/TV etc…

I like the Hue as my tiny daughter can control them with the little remote widget – it’s on teh side of her bed, and turns on/up ttheir bedroom and hall light (and only those two) in case she needs a pee in teh night!)
    DrP

Premier Icon dove1
    Subscriber

@stevied – Offer on Amazon today for 3 bulbs, bridge and dimmer switch for £90. LINK

Premier Icon db
    Subscriber

Lots of Hue in this house. Last count 20+ gu10, 2 strips and a handful of lamps. Alexa used to control the lot. Hardest part is remembering what each lamp or zone is called! I miss switches…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.