Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hubs on Brand-x wheelset – who makes ’em?
  • scaredypants

A mate has just bought some brand-x 29er wheels (not sure what model but I think they only list one) but he needs a 12mm front axle and they come with 15.

He’s been on to Wiggle but not had much help there – seems they do a QR end cap but not a 12. He bought a pair of Prime 12mm caps because I thought their 15mm caps looked just like the corresponding b-x ones but apparently no good.
    Can’t really use a 12-15mm tube up the middle because the 15mm caps will need filing down to fit the fork and would leave only about a 0.5mm wall – sounds fragile to me (I think they’re probably not weight-bearing but if they crumble, nothing’ll be loading the bearings).

Does anyone happen to know who makes their hubs ?
    Better still, anyone know which caps might fit ?
    Or does anyone have a set of the QR caps and think they might take a 12mm drill ?
    Or should he go for the 12-15mm tube and the thin-walled caps will be fine ?

scaredypants

anyone ? (I’d assumed the invisibility feature had been resolved)

jonba
    Free Member

If I had to guess, and it would be a guess I would say it would be worth looking at the Bitex and Novatec ranges. They are the bigger manufacturers I’m aware of that get rebranded.

fooman

Post a pic of hubs and someone will tell you

scaredypants

Thanks – yeah, I thought Novatech or Bitex too

I don’t have actual pics but I think there’s only 1 set on Wiggle and there is a decent close up on offer:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-trail-wheelset

Poopscoop

From wiggle:

scaredypants

Ooooh, good zooming Poopscoop

Not looking so promising for a 12mm cap 🙁

Poopscoop

^^Can only see a blank, black image mate?

scaredypants

ht####tps://issuu.com/artfile/docs/2020_kt_oe-final
    remove the ####

cookeaa

This any use?:

htthalo-thru-axle-adaptor-sleeve-15-to-12-mm

Edit: just re-read your point about the caps seating in the fork…

Are you able to pop the end caps off and measure up? Could maybe get some turned?

cookeaa

In fact, thinking about it, could you bore those QR adaptors out to fit 12mm?

scaredypants

could you bore those QR adaptors out to fit 12mm

Yeah, sorry, that’s what I meant about a drill. I’ve done it with Hope ones before, to 15mm

I think a bit of cautious drilling/filing will get him there – after all, he’s trying to get something smaller in there

He has a friend who’s a teacher so I wondered if the school might have a metalwork shop

cookeaa

The important bit of the adaptor is already there the bearing interface, it’s potentially a quick job if you’ve got a lathe available…

pommers
    Free Member

KT Taiwan, it would seem

https://www.ktgroup.net/

Nevermind, I see they sent you the link already

chrisinleedsuk
    Free Member

Did you have any luck finding QR End Caps? I’m after the same.

chrisinleedsuk
    Free Member

FYI, I had a response from Hotlines – end caps are expected back in stock in December!

jrdubya

QR end caps are back in stock at CRC now

wzzzz
    Free Member

These look pretty good for a £100

Shame they are so heavy but I guess the freehub and axle is steel?

I would buy a spare freehub now too while they are in stock.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just curious: Are they being used on a road bike?

Hope the bike industry hasn’t decided we now need 12mm front axles for MTBs, as well as 15mm.

chrisinleedsuk
    Free Member

I wonder if the KT hubs are used elsewhere for CX/gravel/road and these have been stocked by mistake. 28 mm wide rim bed seems ridiculous for use on road.

Rear QR spacers seem to be back in stock too now – https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-trail-wheelset-rear-qr-end-caps/rp-prod202314

I’ve been offered a pair of second-hand Superstar AM-490s so think I’m going to go with them instead.

dhrider
    Free Member

I’d say people are wanting a budget wheelset for MTB & Gravel so there has been questions (like this post) looking for 12mm end caps so theyve been added to the range.

Sometimes price beats function / trends for people.

wzzzz
    Free Member

they are a bit wide for gravel are they not?

dhrider
    Free Member

Yes, but doesn’t mean people won’t use them for gravel. They’ll still fit and work perfectly fine.

scaredypants

Ooooh, my old thread !

Yeh, his are a bit wide but 38s fit OK. Bit heavy probably also true but he’s faster than me and my 1501s on them. He may end up one day being sorry that he tried a 33 on there but since the cross races we do aren’t UCI ones he doesn’t ever have to live with that.

(he got his to work with a tiny bit of filing of the caps and an ali tube up the middle of the hub, IIRR)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hubs on Brand-x wheelset – who makes ’em?’ is closed to new replies.