Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hubs (142*12) alternatives to Chris King?
  • hora
    Free Member

I need to switch to 650b soon so…rather than rim swap I was thinking a whole new wheel build as an option (or off the peg).

Apart from King what else is out there? Pickup, sound.. Etc?

johnnystorm

Industry nine?

sam_underhill

I9 hubs have near instant pick up. This gives them a real “buzz” sound. Build quality seems right up there. I’d buy them again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope or DT

iamtheresurrection

I really rate CK headsets and bottom brackets, hubs I’ve had needed a lot of adjustment and oiling of the worm drive.

Hope hubs are particularly bling, but I’ve never had any bother and maintanence is so easy. It’s the only Hope product I like.

Lester
    Free Member

ive got two sets of industry nine wheels
    the old enduros ( not xc version)
    i wouldnt ever sell them,
    instant pick up, sound great, look even better

iamtheresurrection

^^ I meant aren’t particularly bling. Too late to edit.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Tune Kong or Tune Prince. Very lightweight.

donncha

I’m trying to make the same decision. Could use the Kings from my current build or go for a new build. Currently thinking LB rims on DT 240s or Roval traverse.

I’m would be interested to know what you decide.
    In the meantime:

https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-and-testing/hub-review/

Hub Showdown – Chris King, Hadley, Industry Nine, DT, Stealth, and Hope

hora
    Free Member

Very lightweight.

I cant go lightweight. They’ll have to be workhorse to a degree- minimal attention and maintenance, strong enough to take weight and rocky trails.

My previous King hubs lasted 6+yrs with minimal attention before I sold them and went with Hope’s.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Kings aren’t actually very light.

stoney
    Free Member

But they are GOOD!, My last set, (still got them) were 5 years old and had been totally submerged in water etc lots of times. Only just normal servicing required and no bearings replaced.

Anyway,

I have a set of Ibis own build, Stans Flow EX, on Speed tuned hubs 142 rear/15 front. Sram XD drive.
    In as new condition with tyres £275 posted.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I”m not a fan of Kings; sweamrs has a set and they always seem to need a bit of fettling / adjustment to be just right. Either they are a bit loose or the wheel drags slightly. This is on a 135mm QR though and apparently the 142×12 is less problematic as the tension of the QR doesn’t upset things.

In comparison though my DT240’s need almost no maintenance and when they do it is scarily easy to do.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hubs (142*12) alternatives to Chris King?’ is closed to new replies.