• This topic has 19 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • HtN plotting and scheming – Multi discipline event
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’ve just been reading about the IROC thing that is going on this weekend and it looks like a laugh.

If HtN were to put on multi discipline event would anyone out in STW land be interested?

The proposed format would be along the lines of a lap based short course (3 miles ish) race for MTB CX, like HtN1.5 for about an hour followed by an orienteering style foot race around another bit of the valley for another hour or so. First to complete both wins. Open to solo, pairs and teams.

Well, would you?

The council of HtN wise men may have to go to the pub and mutter about this.

Also. It’s the Lee Quarry thing this weekend and I know they’ve been planning for ages so go and have a do if you can.

Support grass roots sport, God have the Queen etc.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Do you have a local river / gravel pit / seaside etc.? How about adding in a bit of swimming in murky water too, for an off road triathlon style thing.

Joe

Harry_the_Spider

We’ve got the River Irwell and the site used to be a bleach works and a smallpox hospital, so getting a mouthfull may not be the best idea.

joemarshall
    Free Member

There is a mountain bike race in New Zealand (Karapoti) that starts and ends with you running across a river. The year I did it, it was only 1.5 foot deep, but some years it has been shoulder deep apparently.

As far as dirt goes, the dirtier the river the better – makes it more hardcore doesn’t it. Plus it encourages a crazy head up flailing type of swimming rather than proper fast swimming, which might even things up a bit.

Joe

ml
    Free Member

Depending on location, I could certainly be interested. I did the two 2-day ACE Races last year (mountain biking, trail/fell running, kayaking … all tied together with navigation) and am feeling a big hole in my schedule for this year. You might want to post over on the SleepMonsters forum too.

Harry_the_Spider

I was thinking along the lines of previous HtNs that everybody will be able to finish but you will have to be good to win. Something that will last about 3 hours.

big_n_daft
    Free Member
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

the format sounds good, I think you need to add something to give it a “twist” and you’ve got a winner

Harry_the_Spider

If there was a National Non Specific Messing About In The Woods Championship (NNSMAITWC) we might be interested.

The twist would involve a third event as a tie breaker. One of the wise men has already suggested pie eating or colouring in. Personally I would award extra points to whoever could draw the best horse.

Actually waddayamean “twist”? We’ve had Ed Oxley playing the didgeridoo with his face painted blue and a brass band so far.

ton

wonder if i still have my one piece tri suit………

Harry_the_Spider

😯

TonyL
    Free Member

I wonder if we could get a Polaris style link between the hit the north route and Lee Quarry with an event at each venue?

Sounds great – incorporating some elements of The Mighty Deerstalker would be fantastic

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m thinking a Winter Tough Guy tie-in might be on the cards. We could borrow their enormous scramble nets.

Maybe we’ll just have a big-lap bike race like the ones you lot have enjoyed so much in the past couple of years.

terrahawk
    Free Member

…or the past year, depending on your ability to remember what year it is. Doh.

iPed
    Free Member

How about something along the lines of HTN 1.0 in the dry ( and heres the twist) with car parking 💡 – that would be ideal

Nick

wot iPed sed, but start off really muddy then dry out (really, not like when people lie and say ‘dry lines were appearing towards the end’, no they **** weren’t ime)

Harry_the_Spider

Car parking and the rain – what an organisational nightmare that turned out to be.

The plan was to use that huge empty field next to the campsite for overflow parking, but it rained that much that vehicles would have sunk. Also, it was too wet for the farmer to mow it. That’s why everybody ended up on the camping field and why the marshal at the gate (me) looked on with despair at every Winnebago that trundled down the lane. It was also the reason why we had cars going through the gate that was part of the course. Ideally they would have been 100m further up the road. HtN 2 will be limited to around 300-350 people so we have got a bit more space. There were 440 at HtN 1. Also the track will avoid the vehicle access road entirely.

Regarding the dry line. Apart from two stretches the sodding course was bone dry by Sunday afternoon!

Harry_the_Spider

Just found out that British Cycling wouldn’t cover us for insurance of a dual format event.

Nick

I wasn’t refering to HtN 1.0 but every other wet and muddy event I’ve been at, I loved everything about HtN 1.0 and I managed to drive from the very top end out of the field without getting stuck 🙂

If it was a bit drier at the end then I’d have been able to stay the night and get hammered, as it was my wife was not willing to sleep in a tent when her mother, 40 mins away in Wigan, was offering us a bed for the night.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘HtN plotting and scheming – Multi discipline event’ is closed to new replies.