• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • HTII BB alternatives
  • montgomery
    Free Member

What are thoughts on some of the standard BB alternatives like ones from Praxis and Token, rather than XT?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hard to see past the hope ceramic.

Have not changed a single bottom bracket since I moved to them.

I have washed out one set of bearings after 8 years of abuse and given them a grease and they have carried on with good service.

Conversely the original xt I got on a complete bike lasted 1 (130km) ride before being crunchier than a Friday feeling.

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve had one of the newer, smaller diameter XTs on my bike for about 18 months. Still spins perfectly, no issues, the spare is sitting waiting, cheap to replace if needed.

damascus
    Free Member

What @trail_rat said.

I bet mines done nearly 15000 miles on 5 bikes.

I bought the tool set for pressing the bearings out and it’s paid for its self.

The only thing I need to replace is the plastic covers on the edge from time to time.

Every time I clean and degrease them I think I won’t get away with it again and I’ll have to buy néw bearings but they just keep going.

lunge

Hope.
    I’ve one that’s been in my winter road bike for 3000 miles and the bearings are still fine.
    I sold my MTB with one in and that had done similar mileage off road and was also still fine.
    To be fair though, the newer Shimano ones are pretty good too, they too seem to last well.

montgomery
    Free Member

My last two XT BBs both lasted about 3000km before failing. I’m happy enough with that for the price, and was just wondering if anybody has personal experience of slightly more expensive options (like the Praxis and Token offerings, both in stock at my local shop). Yep, I run Hope headsets and hubs, not sure I can justify the expense of the BB.

plus-one

Do hope bb’s still use oversize bearing ?

Mtb one I had the axle of crank was in direct contact with inner bearing(no plastic top cap) and it would seize onto axle 🙁 awful design

Xt here all good

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mtb one I had the axle of crank was in direct contact with inner bearing(no plastic top cap) and it would seize onto axle 🙁 awful design

Do you ride in the sea ?

I’ve got three of those BBS in regular manky use and have yet to experiance this phenomenon of the stainless bearing race siezing to the axle.

scotroutes

I’ve seen enough failures of the Hopes to put me off the expense. XT regularly sell for £15 and last for years.

Not convinced by Praxis as I had a few issues with them one year. That was with one of their crank models too.

qwerty
    Free Member

Shimano HT2 XTR BB93 can be had for £30, it’s the only bit of XTR I use & they last very well.

jameso

Praxis lasted me 2 winter rides in Chilterns before the 2RS bearings were full of clay water and seized, sealing is poor even if bearing is std/replaceable.

New M8000 XT is good ime, get a year plus from them Vs 3 to 6 months (max) from older XT design. XTRs no better one.

peteimpreza

Chris King, got one going that is over 8 years old and still on the original bearings. Just use the tool to refresh the grease when I remember.

Lost count of the number of bikes it’s been on.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve seen enough failures of the Hopes to put me off the expense.

On your bike or customers?

In my experience this is usually caused by user error over tightening the pre load. Correctly installed they will last.

gkeeffe

xtr has lasted me over 4 years….. don’t over tighten the preload! in fact the minimum possible is best,,,,,

scotroutes

On your bike or customers?

Primarily customers/friends. I should say that I personally find Hope last as long as XT. It’s just that they are 4-5 times the price.

mashr

qwerty

Shimano HT2 XTR BB93 can be had for £30, it’s the only bit of XTR I use & they last very well.

This. Every-so-often they can be had for considerably less too

damascus
    Free Member

Out of interest, what is the difference between shimano bottom brackets? What does an xtr bb have more than the cheaper shimano bb?

Are they superior materials, bearings and seals or just have higher scoring scrabble letters?

steve_b77
    Free Member

2000 to 2500km on XT press fit on my mtb, dirt cheap, don’t see the point on spending anymore than £15-£20 per year

mashr

unlike all the other Shimano models, XTR appears to be totally different. To the point that it comes with an adapter for your BB tool, a normal one wont fit as the shell diameter (and therefore the bearing OD) is quite a lot smaller. Otherwise I’m not sure what’s really going on inside – seems to work though

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘HTII BB alternatives’ is closed to new replies.