Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • htc or apple
  • redwoods
    Free Member

I’ve had ‘running low on space’ warnings on my HTC Desire for a while now, but that’s due to the measly 512MB of RAM on board the Desire. I know the HTC One X and One S come with 1GB of RAM so I’m hoping that addresses that particular problem. We put 16GB micro SD cards in ours when we first got them though, so that side of things has never been an issue.

Try downloading ‘App 2 SD’ app – it’s free and tells you what apps are stored where (whether on your phone or on your SD card) and how much memory they’re all using and how much space you have left.

wallop

Stumpy01, you are spot on, so would I be OK with a 16gb iPhone?

wallop

redwoods – my phone tells me where the apps are stored, but it doesn’t give me the option to move them all.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

you need to root it to get full apps2sd benefit

Cougar

You need Froyo or higher for App2SD support, too.

stumpy01

Wallop – yeah, as I understand it, it’s the Achilles heel of the Desire. I am not sure, but it’s the only recent smart phone I have heard of with this issue.

If you go into setting>applications>manage applications you can click on each of your downloaded applications and some will have the option to ‘move to SD’ freeing up phone memory for more apps.

As above you can use an app called apps2sd, which can help manage which apps are stored where, but you need to have updated your phone to Froyo for this to work.
    I have Froyo on mine (Group is the latest version of Android that can easily be run on the Desire) but have never bothered with apps2sd.

I think my comment about moving apps to SD above through the settings is also dependant on you having Froyo. I think Froyo is 2.2 which you can check in settings, about phone, software information.

miketually
    Free Member

They’re phones. I’m sure Neither will make you happy.

FTFY

Bez

As above re the Desire issue. I find that life with it is much better after (a) refusing to allow it to link all my contacts with any Twitter/Flickr/etc accounts and (b) a full reset to nuke the expansive and ever-expanding storage requirements of HTC Mail, which would otherwise only be fixable by rooting.

wallop

I can’t be arrised with all that firmware/software uprade/app installation nonsense. My OH put gingerbread on it for me, which was an improvement, but I am a girl – I just want to know what size iPhone I need 😳

Thanks for everyone’s help though 😀

CountZero

Wallop, if you can afford it, go for the 32Gb version, because, just like a handbag, no matter how big it is, you can always find stuff to fill it up with! Photos and video take up a lot of room, and I’ve got a lot of maps on mine as well.
    Believe me, if a 128Gb iPhone turns up next month, I’m having it!
    In fact, a 256Gb iPhone would be peachy, as I’ve got 112Gb of music on my Classic, and I’d only need to carry one device around with me. 😀

wallop

Ooh yes, maps – hadn’t thought of that. Will bear that in mind! 8)

CountZero

Believe me, maps are one of the best bits. I’ve got Viewranger on mine, with 1:50k maps sideloaded from a DVD I bought from them some years ago for my crappy Nokia N95. At the moment I have the whole of the southern UK from Kidderminster down, along with areas of 1:25k. I’ve also got UK Map with large chunks of 1:25k and 1:10k, which are free.
    There’s also Co-Pilot satnav, which takes up a fair bit of space too. Not sure how much space each uses, but the total is gigabytes.
    That’s why I say go for the biggest capacity you can afford, because if you’re using a smartphone properly, and taking real advantage of its capabilities, then you’re going to find lots of stuff to fill it up with!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Considering going from android to apple myself. Is it true that you don’t get free turn by turn navigation on a 4s?

deviant
    Free Member

Integrated Sat Nav is coming on the next iPhone and on the next release of the iOS operating system which the 4S will be able to upgrade to.

Shocking really that it’s taken this long when you consider that Google Maps, Earth, Streetview and Navigation are integrated into Android and give the user a complete Sat Nav package without having to install third party apps.

It’s glaring omissions like this that have put me off the iPhone, it’s a gorgeous device but it’s capabilities have long been surpassed by the Android OS.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For space have a look at the S3 32gb. With up to a 64gb card for everything else thats a lot of space (there is also a 64gb version coming) same free google sat nav and an samsung one (think there is a pay version after a trial).

M6TTF
    Free Member

Supposed announcement date for the Ip5 is sep21st. You won’t be able to get you hands on it for at least a month after that

GrahamS

Integrated Sat Nav is coming on the next iPhone.. Shocking really that it’s taken this long.. glaring omissions like this that have put me off the iPhone

You do realise that the Maps on iPhone is Google Maps?

For some strange reason Google were able to add turn-by-turn directions on the Android (i.e. Google) version of Google Maps, but not the iPhone version.

Hmmm… funny that.

Turn-by-turn is now coming in the new iOS because Apple have finally told Google to stick it up their corporate motto and have bought their own mapping solution instead.

FWIW though, I don’t think my iPhone experience particularly suffered from having to spend 30 seconds installing third-party sat navs. I currently have four and they all offer significant improvements over Google Maps.

deviant
    Free Member

Graham S…..why on earth would Google give one of their best features (the turn by turn aspect of navigation on Google Maps) to a competitor?….quite rightly they have kept that feature for their own operating system!….i dont see Apple giving away their tech for free to competitors, in fact Apple is quite fond of litigation for anything it feels has infringed on iOS….funny though that Apple had no qualms in taking the notification bar from Android/Google to put in the latest iOS.

If iOS was all singing and dancing it would have had integrated sat nav years ago….even Nokia has had Nokia Drive on their phones since 2010.

The iphone is a great bit of hardware but the OS needs a major overhaul, even tech websites are starting to grumble that it is becoming stale…..the lack of basic features like live widgets for facebook, twitter, news feeds, sports feeds etc that show constantly updating information without having to open the App itself is one of the most annoying aspects of iOS….to change this would mean moving away from the familiar grid formation of icons on the iphone screen and becoming more like….Android….which is why i suspect Apple hasnt done it yet.

Also i love how on my other half’s Galaxy S3 she can minimise a video being watched into the corner of the screen and continue doing whatever she likes with the rest of the phone, browse the internet, send an email etc….its little things like this that Android has moved ahead with, meanwhile Apple continues to bang on about how intuitive it’s OS is….that’s great but it’s also stuck in 2007.

Cougar

For some strange reason Google were able to add turn-by-turn directions on the Android (i.e. Google) version of Google Maps, but not the iPhone version.

Hmmm… funny that.

We need a name for this phenomena. How about “the iTunes effect”?

GrahamS

why on earth would Google give one of their best features (the turn by turn aspect of navigation on Google Maps) to a competitor?

Well, yes, exactly.

So it isn’t really “shocking” that iOS took a while to get built-in turn-by-turn.

Google got itself signed up as the Map supplier for iOS 1.0 in 2007. Android was released six months later.

Then in late 2009 Google added turn-by-turn directions to the Android version of Google Maps, but stuck the finger up at Apple, effectively using their position to nicely cripple their competition.

Hence now we have Apple kicking out Google and getting their own maps.

If iOS was all singing and dancing it would have had integrated sat nav years ago….

It takes time to acquire a new map supplier, let the contract with Google expire and to develop all new map software.

In the meantime, I really don’t see why “integrated” is such a big deal. It only takes a few seconds to go to the App Store and download free satnav apps that have better features than the Google one.
    (bear in mind that Apple devices come with App Store already on them. You don’t have to root them, then change/update firmware, then install Google Play, and then download the app!)

having live widgets for facebook, twitter, news feeds, sports feeds etc that show constantly updating information is one of the most annoying aspects of Android because it kills the battery, eats data allowance, leads to incompatibility between apps and means you need a task killer to get rid of all the background apps

FTFY 😀 One man’s poison…

Anyway, this is turning into another terribly dull iOS vs Android thread, so I’ll leave it at that for now.

deviant
    Free Member

Fair enough, i will just say though that Google Play (the Android equivalent of the App Store) is obviously installed on the phone already!….there is no need to root the phone to get access to Android Apps, i have no idea who told you that, that is misinformation of the worst kind!….you just need a Gmail account.

Cougar

That’s generally the case, but there are exceptions. The Kindle Fire, for instance, doesn’t come with Play (though I don’t think there’s anything stopping you from just installing the .apk). I think from memory some bottom-feeder cheap tablets don’t either.

Cougar

having live widgets for facebook, twitter, news feeds, sports feeds etc that show constantly updating information is one of the most annoying aspects of Android because it kills the battery, eats data allowance, leads to incompatibility between apps and means you need a task killer to get rid of all the background apps

Well, that’s somewhere between inaccurate and disingenuous. Widgets aren’t mandatory, if you don’t like them, don’t use them. I’m not sure what ‘incompatibility’ you’re referring to, but over the course of three Android handsets I’ve never seen any such thing. And you don’t need a task killer to get rid of background apps because, well, simply, Android does not work like that.

(At a high level, memory management on iOS and Android are really rather similar conceptually, in fact. Background apps are generally suspended unless they’re specially intended to run as a service, eg an mp3 player or a GPS tracker that you’d want to run whilst doing other things. The idea that you have to use a task killer to ‘free up memory’ on either platform is a fallacy stemming from very old versions of Android and a mindset coming from conventional platforms like Windows. If you have a pint of beer, you don’t gain more beer by drinking it out of a two pint mug).

GrahamS

Yep I was basing my info on setting up my father-in-law’s cheapie Android tablet.

Had to jump through quite a few hoops, including changing the firmware, before it would let me install Google Play.

GrahamS

I’m not sure what ‘incompatibility’ you’re referring to, but over the course of three Android handsets I’ve never seen any such thing. And you don’t need a task killer to get rid of background apps because, well, simply, Android does not work like that.

Hmm okay. All I know is every other Android problem thread I drop in on has someone talking about killing tasks and apps that don’t work together.

That could well be fallacy though. Folk talk about killing apps on iOS too even though it makes chuff all difference on 99 % of apps.

Cougar

My point exactly. It’s a misunderstanding.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

If I were you I’d keep a careful note of this argument for future use, particularly around the areas of shoes, handbags, and other must-haves

Luckily, my missus cares not for such fancy things and is quite frugal when it comes to shoes and what-not, i’m the label whore apparantley

Having had the OneX a few days I can confirm it was the right choice. A lot faster than my old Desire and the big screen is great. Seems a bit comedy sized at the moment but I’ll get used to it, I used to think the desire had a massive screen compared to my ipod.

Still getting to grips with it but I like it and I’m glad I didn’t go for the iphone (had a real play with it in the shop and to be honest, i found it hard to understand why it was better than my Desire other than storage)

stumpy01

Currently trying to decide whether to upgrade to the HTC One S, One X or Sony Experia S…

Need to get to a shop & try a few out.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘htc or apple’ is closed to new replies.