Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • HTC One M8 v iPhone 5s
  • bren2709

Anyone switched from iPhone to HTC, what are the pros and cons for both?

Not sure about switching to HTC as I don’t want to be disappointed 😕

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I switched to one and whilst I liked it I quickly found I missed the simplicity of an iphone and the quality of the apps available.

Android has a lot of the same apps but they are, I’m my opinion, inferior.

I switched back and I’ll stay with apple now.

chojin
    Free Member

Whereas I’m the opposite, I switched from iOS to Android and couldn’t be happier. I think a lot rides on the keyboard – the android keyboard is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS and is a joy to use.
    The apps the all the same, except for gaming. Most high end games are available for android but not all.

Other than that, Android can be as “simple” or as complex as you want it to be. I’ll be sticking to android from now on…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

I went from iPhone to HTC and back again also for pretty much the same reasons as above.

All the best features of apps seem to hit iOS first. The iPhone does just work as well where as with Android I found it freezing more and having to worry about memory management more.

takisawa2

HTC OneX+ here.
    Be the last HTC I buy unless they come up with something radically different. Specs on paper look great, but HTC are hopeless with bringing out Android updates, the phone soon ends up sluggish & laggy, & the battery life is pitiful. Screens are nice, but these days most are. I’m not a fan of Apple, but the Wife’s 5C is way smoother to use than this thing.
    My mates just had a Nexus5, & I reckon that will be my next phone. Tempted by the Samsung Galaxy Note, as the size looks ok to me.
    Honest opinion, I think that new HTC just doesn’t cut it these days. 😐

Onzadog
    Free Member

I found HTC to be better than iPhone for actually making calls.

Jamie
    Free Member

for actually making calls.

Doing what now?

soops
    Free Member

I have a HTC one m8 and love it. I had Samsung’s before and cannot fault it yet. Just trying to get out of the Samsung habit of the back button being on the opposite side!

loddrik
    Free Member

I switched to one and whilst I liked it I quickly found I missed the simplicity of an iphone and the quality of the apps available.
    Android has a lot of the same apps but they are, I’m my opinion, inferior.
    I switched back and I’ll stay with

This also sums up me perfectly. The android devices are excellent, I had an S4. But I much prefer iOS and the apps are generally much smoother like for like and the iphone is just nicer to use.

I suspect when apple releases a larger iphone it’ll sell in huge numbers as that’s all that is really lacking.

Cougar

Horses for courses.

I have an Android handset (and tablet), OH has iVersions of the same thing. Every time I have cause to use her iPad / iPhone it drives me up the wall, similarly she can’t be doing with mine. Whether or not you personally will be “disappointed” is impossible to say.

eruptron
    Free Member

Sony Xperia Z2 is worth a look as well. Love the camera on mine.

HughStew

Sony Xperia Z2 is worth a look as well. Love the camera on mine.

I’ve just got one of these, chosen because it’s the most waterproof of the non-ruggedised phones. It’s great, really easy to use, quick, and easily customised to behave as I want.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

The quality of the HTC one is far better than say the old HTC one desire, it’s smoother than my old Samsung galaxy s2 by a mile. The miss is has a iphone 5 and wishes she has mine. I’ve had it since it came out and it’s never hung or froze/stalled. If you had the phone side by side with the iPhone you will find the iPhone literally does nothing better. I never play games on my phone but on every gamer review the HTC one beats all other phones. I also left my phone on my car roof a few days ago and it flew off at 30mph a mile after leaving the house, it was in a case but impressed that it is completely damage free.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Everything takisawa2 said

On my second HTC and they stopped updating the software after a year whereas Samsung and the like kept updating their phones.

Most good apps are also available on Android, but I’ll be switching to iPhone this time purely for a change

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve gone from an iphone 4 to a htc one m8. I’ve found myself using my laptop a lot less and using my phone for browsing/facebook/twitter etc much more because it’s just nicer to use. The screen is much nicer and bigger, it’s much much much much quicker to load things, it actually has a phone function (my iphone had some sort of phone function but it must have still been in beta testing because it was shite).

takisawa2

I suspect when apple releases a larger iphone it’ll sell in huge numbers as that’s all that is really lacking.

Agreed.

popstar
    Free Member

Migrated from iphone to htc m8.

Boy, the screen, the big screen!

The sound, the sound quality blows out any phone on the market.

Its a good size, slightly smaller than galaxy note so bridges the gap as a portable phablet. I dont use ipad as often, so my children can get their fat fingers messing about with gadgets etc.

App quality wise, yeah … android apps arent as shiny as apple ones but they function all the same. In fact some quality android apps are more expensive than apple. But overall, its all same shizzle.

Browsing, you wont notice much difference apart from screen size.

Speed of processor etc , you dont even notice speed etc as its all instant.

As a casual user, on average battery lasts 2 days, it lasted 3 days once emergency* mode kicked in. So not bad.

Quality and finish of htc is same if not better (brushed sleek cool alluminium) frame, 440+ ppi hd screen and dont forget htc m8 now has expandable memory.

Camera on htc is average, iphone5 and the likes demolishes it. Samsung oled screens are the brightest on the market, not saying htc screen is bad but its not that OMG super bright.

Overall, IMO Android is not that all different to iOS. Its presentation may not be as shiny super sleek icons but it works allmost the same. Very little difference between those two.

I couldnt wait for iphone6 to come out as i wanted bigger screen long time ago, and after checking around htc one decided it was the one to have. So far, it didnt let me down. Well impressed.

Now I ve realised Apple taking a piss charging their silly prices. There are bargains to be had if you wanted to buy handset outright.

£449

Cougar

On my second HTC and they stopped updating the software after a year whereas Samsung and the like kept updating their phones.

I’m surprised, if that’s true; Samsung must’ve finally got their act together.

HTC have pledged to release updates for all their phones for at least a year, whereas in my experience it’s a lottery with Samsung. Though to be fair, it’s a little while now since I last had dealings with them.

Cougar

I suspect when apple releases a larger iphone it’ll sell in huge numbers

It’s probably a foregone conclusion regardless. If they released a larger one their customers would be falling over each other going “ooh, a bigger iPhone, just what we wanted, look at the screen, it’s amazing!” whereas if Apple released a smaller model they’d all be going “a smaller iPhone, in’t miniaturisation brilliant!” instead.

In honesty, I’d welcome a push towards smaller handsets. I’ve little need for a huge phone when I’ve got a tablet in my pocket.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

In honesty, I’d welcome a push towards smaller handsets. I’ve little need for a huge phone when I’ve got a tablet in my pocket

Or both could be the same device? instead of having two devices? I’d rather a swiss army knife was just a fork as I already have a knife…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have you got anything linked to your iPhone? like iPad or Mac?

You’ll loose that connection and that could become tiresome.

I went from Samsung G’s and PC’s into the iWorld last year buying an iPad then Air then iPhone5s and it’s been such a breeze and effortless, only restiction is OSX doesn’t support iOS app’s, well not all of them which is a total bum ache.

jam-bo

It’s probably a foregone conclusion regardless. If they released a larger one their customers would be falling over each other going “ooh, a bigger iPhone, just what we wanted, look at the screen, it’s amazing!” whereas if Apple released a smaller model they’d all be going “a smaller iPhone, in’t miniaturisation brilliant!” instead.
    In honesty, I’d welcome a push towards smaller handsets. I’ve little need for a huge phone when I’ve got a tablet in my pocket.

If apple only release a big iphone 6 then I’ll probably change from an iPhone for the first time in years.

bren2709

Yes got my phone linked to the iPad.
    Still unsure which way to go.

Cheers all for wise words.

Cougar

I’m not sure what you mean by “loose (sic) that connection” – if you’re talking about downloading the same app to two devices then yes, the Google and Apple marketplaces are different. But if as I suspect you’re talking about using the iPhone as a wireless hotspot to connect the iPad to the Internet then you can do that from any modern device, you don’t need an iPhone specifically. Wifi is wifi, Apple don’t have any proprietary tech involved there (well, not yet anyway).

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bren if you have an iPad you’d be mad to switch away from the iPhone, the could integration and data sharing is excellent now and is only going to get better. The new iPhone 6 (due in Sep/Oct ?) will have a larger screen so if you can wait then probably best to do so.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Have just upgraded from an s3 to One M8. Was a big Sammy fanboy but after playing with my mates S5 I really wasn’t all that impressed. Picked up the M8 yesterday. The sound is fantastic, great speakers. Camera good. Unfortuntely I thought I’d be clever and convert my micro sim to nano and screwed it up so just waiting on a new one to try out 4G. Blinkfeed is interesting, kind of an expanded flipboard. Too early to say how good the battery is. Was half charged when I got it, been charging over night and so far down to 89% been playing with it all morning. Quite happy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Also just realised mines the Asian version as I’m in Oz so it’s 2.5ghz, which is nice but real world probably not that much difference. Gets 35000 on Antutu if benchmarks interest you.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

A few weeks into owning the HTC

Custom ROM (Android Revolution 9.1) rooted and bootloader unlocked. Battery life, amazing. Despite the haters, with a tweak here and there it takes some good shots. Yeah for 80 quid you could buy a P&S but that means carrying a phone and a camera. Silly.

It still sounds amazing. The volume that comes out of those little speakers. 64gb microsd card in. Really happy with it.

Putting a custom rom on was a doddle. Eagerly awaiting 4.4.4 to land.

samuri
    Free Member

I went to a HTC One M7 from an iPhone 5. Wouldn’t go back now.
    For me it was the screen size and configurable nature of the Android device for me. After I’d bought it I realised lots of things were much better like the music quality, battery life, phone reception. The standard android drop is a bit naff but a few app downloads like Swiftkey and the one that puts a bar for turning wireless and 3g on and off on the main screen and that was sorted.

muggomagic

I like the iPhone for it’s reliability, reliable battery life ,reliable quality of pics etc, but reliable is also quite boring. my nexus 4 is just the way I like it. On my home screen I can see the weather forecast for the week, I swipe left and I have all my google now cards or swipe right for my calendar etc. Both are great phones, it just depends what you want to do with it.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from an HTC to a 5S and am pretty happy. Being sad, I like the way it ‘talks’ with my iPad. When setting up all my internet favourites were transferred over as were movies etc.

I do miss the widgets like the clock and weather on my HTC though but I doubt I’ll miss the slow down. I had a One X beforehand and quite liked the big screen for surfing the net but it felt big in my pocket. Th camera was crap too and struggled in bright conditions.

CountZero

I think a lot rides on the keyboard – the android keyboard is leaps and bounds ahead of iOS and is a joy to use.

iOS 8 will bring the same keyboard choice as Android has.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Android has many keyboards.

Swifkey is amazing. TouchPal is pretty good. As is Swype. Even the Android L keyboard is pretty decent. Got that on my tablet.

jam-bo

I like the iPhone for it’s reliability, reliable battery life ,reliable quality of pics etc, but reliable is also quite boring.

I’d hope there was more excitement in my life than which phone I had…

spacemonkey

Switched from iPhone (user of 4 years) to Nexus 5 when it launched last year. Looked at loads of options as I fancied a change from iOS.

Hated it for the first 24hrs but then, once I’d changed the front-end (mainly launcher, icons etc) I found it brilliant. I hate Android out of the box – always have – but the launchers and other “look and feel” tweaks have improved a lot in recent years.

muggomagic

jam bo – Member

I’d hope there was more excitement in my life than which phone I had…

Well keep hoping and you never know your luck.

lorax

I went from an iPhone 4s to an HTC One. Lovely phone, with a great screen and great sound, but lots of little niggles that meant I ended up disliking it. After trying really hard for about 6 weeks I sold it to a friend who still prefers it to his iPhone 5, so horses for courses I guess.

It was silly little things for me, like the fact that I had to tap the enter button after typing my passcode on the lock screen, the on/off button was badly placed, and Android is really clunky compared to iOs – what’s with the two different ways of laying out your apps?

I bought a Moto G as a second phone for use with a local SIM while travelling and I much prefer it to the HTC. Much cheaper, and on paper inferior, but a cleaner version of Android and better overall design. I still vastly prefer my iPhone 5s, but I’d be okay if I had to switch to the Motorola in a way I wouldn’t be if it was the HTC.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Lorax, everything you’re moaning about can be changed – “there’s an app for that.”

Apart from the on/off button of course.

——————————

OP: Neither, get the S5 instead.

BTW This thread is pure 1st world problems.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Lorax theres a quick unlock option so it unlocks after the code has been entered but without having to hit enter.

Theres an app or a tweak for most things in Android. That’s why I like it. It’s not rigid like Apple it’s customisable and if you like fiddling then there’s the beauty of open source. XDA / Modaco

ditto first world probs though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and 2 ways of sorting your apps? Great idea pick the stuff you want a lot then stick the rest out back.

I bet you didn’t get widgets either 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘HTC One M8 v iPhone 5s’ is closed to new replies.