Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • HT2 bottom bracket needed ? … Superstar maybe ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking for a new HT2 BB, my shimano one went after less than 100 miles and so looking for something better ? …
    Superstar BB any good ?? or ?? …

Northwind

Gusset EXT24 is good. But also invest some time in working out why your last one died so prematurely, even deore is better than that these days.

scotroutes

Wot he said. Why did the last one fail?

3dvgirl
    Free Member

o god dont do that…

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Hand on heart ive no idea , it was only a deore one that came with my new chainset , but when my lad got the bike out last weekend , one bearing had totally seized ?? … could barely turn the cranks !

al2000

I had a Superstar one that lasted three weeks.

The box had a picture of a bloke doing kung-fu on it, but closer inspection revealed him to be on roller skates.

In summary, don’t bother.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Uberbike is proving good for me and a mate has one on my recommendation. Very smooth for the money and lasted 8 months on mine and a month on my mates, who could believe how well it spins compared to his Deore one he took off.

pugster007
    Free Member

Hope stainless steel. A very worthwhile investment. If you really want to spend less, or grease it every 5 mins, then buy a Superstar BB.
    Have you looked at buying a shimano bb from any of the German sites? Good value if you buy a couple, chain and small chainring to spread the postage cost.

Northwind

Not to be rude, but Hope score over Shimano in one major way, they’re more resistant to home mechanics… Shimano (and many others) can’t abide overtightening, and mountain bikers overtighten absolutely everything as a matter of course.

Not to say that you overtightened it 😉 But I figure it’s either that or you store the bike in the sea.

moonboy
    Free Member

Fitted a superstar bb to my Hardtail 2 years ago. Bike gets ridden 2-3 times per week year round in all weathers. Only started to get a bit grindy a few weeks ago so fitted a new one for £20. In that time been through numerous other comments including proii bearings. Perfectly happy with bb life.

Just saying!

HermanShake
    Free Member

In case you go for Shimano again, the plastic tophats can be popped off and more grease smeared around inside ’em. Lots of people seem to go for XTR from Rose, however they have lightweight race seals. I thought I needed to replace mine (probably Deore, came with a Hone chainset from Merlin last year) as my non drive side was seizing, greased it up and it’s fine now! Probably won’t get beyond winter but I reckon greasing it in advance would have prolonged it’s life further.

The tension bolt thingy can very easily be overdone which will definitely kill the bearings.

Saw this about popping stainless cartridges into HTII cups: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1137096

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘HT2 bottom bracket needed ? … Superstar maybe ?’ is closed to new replies.