Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • HSBC card cloned
  • tails
    Free Member

As you lot are always better than google I thought I'd ask.

My sister is doing some travelling in South America she has had her debit card cloned and lost a load of her money. Will HSBC refund this cash, I assume there is a better chance if the payments were in say Canada and she's in Brazil. She doesn't have a CC as she is a student so can't get one.

Thanks

Kuco

If she can prove it wasn't her then yes. Can't say for HSBC but Nationwide were brilliant when my debit card was done, I got every single penny back without any hassle.

I guess your sister biggest problem is not being near a local branch 🙁 I hope she get gets refunded her stolen money back.

tails
    Free Member

HA! she was with nationwide last year but they ate the card (because she got the pin wrong 3 yes 3 times) so she swapped, you would never believe she scores 70+ percent in her exams without revising!

Still it would help if she got her cash back as she worked hard for it and I have a feeling it was over a grand as Brazil was first stop! Such a shame I realise why poor people do this but it's such a c**ts trick.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

"HA! she was with nationwide last year but they ate the card (because she got the pin wrong 3 yes 3 times) so she swapped"

Industry standard is 3 strikes. Though not every bank would eat the card, lots would just cancel the pin and issue a new one but the result's the same.

HSBC are, unfortunately, s**t in many ways. Chiefest of these ways is the way that almost every call to them gets funnelled through their enormous offshore callcentres, even with the best training in the world no one person could know the answer to all the questions they're supposed to field… Not that they have the best training in the world either. So she should get a refund as long as she's not done anything recklessly stupid (or more importantly, doesn't admit to it) but she might have a hassle, not because they're not trying to help, just through incompetence.

Whenever we deal with HSBC, the approach is basically if the first person that answers doesn't sound like they know what they're doing, just instantly hang up and call back and get someone else, it's quicker to speak to half a dozen front-line callcentre people til you get a good one than it is to have the first half-trained one try and help. Though for sport we do sometimes see how many times we can get transferred, I had them up to 11 different departments once before the 11th helpfully transferred me back to the same massive call centre :mrgreen:

tails
    Free Member

Well she has obviously already cancelled the card and they have opened a fraud investigation so maybe.

I don't particularly mind the call centres I'd prefer them to be employing British people but hey-ho. What does annoy me is when I speak to a Tahil Kumar he pretends his name Martin Jones.

Northwind

In that case it sounds like she should be OK, the system's designed to protect the cardholder and the bottom line is cloning's not hard, the industry's decided to suck up the cost of this sort of basic fraud rather than prevent it, so they should take the hit for her.

(I've got no issue with offshoring itself but if you're going to deal with any sort of complex enquiry you need functional english and HSBC aren't too choosy about that. They have a lot of trouble with scottish accents :mrgreen:

OTOH we have an indian temp working with us just now who has great english but a very heavy accent, and from time to time people decide we must be offshored… So she ends up passing calls on to one of the locals who goes "Whit? India? Get to ****, we're in a cellar in an industrial estate in Edinburgh". Always good for a laugh)

tails
    Free Member

They have a lot of trouble with scottish accents

So do I 😆 have you heard scottish fishermen talk – riddles!

Accents are great so good for taking the piss and so many good'uns.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘HSBC card cloned’ is closed to new replies.