Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • HS2… whats the point?
  • mogrim

I love to fly, but, even if the total moving time is identical your time when flying is far more disrupted- queue here to queue here to queue here. If you want to actually do something with your travel time- whether it’s working or just reading a book or having a snooze- then short-haul planes kind of suck.

Fully agree, and looking at Dales_rider’s post I’m at a loss as to why people would take the plane. allthegear would seem to be right. I can only think there are a lot of people out there who haven’t bothered to do the sums… Unless there’s some other factor? Disruption, strikes, ???

Still think HS rail travel is a good idea, linking the UKs major cities (ideally with easy connection to the Chunnel line) – and not just London.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

look at HS1 for example that did wonders, they reduced the number of normal trains on the shared line sections and also made the remaining trains shorter. But now with lots of fast trains. result is the normal trains are now twice as over crowded as before and the fast trains are less then 1/2 full even during commuter rush hour because the fares are just to expensive.

joemarshall
    Free Member

sheffield, maybe we need fast trains to london, but we already have them, and they’re not full all the time.

but we definitely need quick trains to Manchester, Leeds and Beyond.

want to go to Edinburgh? – first you’ll need to drive to Gatwick, for a flight to Frankfurt, for another flight to Edinburgh.

Want to go to Edinburgh from Sheffield, it’s 3 hours 30 minutes on the train, which doesn’t seem that bad for 250 miles? It’d be nice if it was faster, but it isn’t the end of the world is it?

ahwiles
    Free Member

1 change, and you’re knackered if train1 is running even a tiny bit late.

the train get from Edinburgh, to doncaster in less than 3 hours, which is great, But DONCASTER!?!?

and that’s my point, ‘high speed’ trains, with expensive, super-straight tracks, and expensive, frequent maintenance, going where we wanted would be great, but we’d be happy with normal trains that went to usefull places.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’ve suggested this on other related threads, but we really need to look at reducing the demand for travel, rather than trying to increase it.

project
    Free Member

Nobody seems to complain abnout the amount wasted on the mototrways, eg lane widening extra lanes , new lights and signs and junctions .

Then about a mile from me 87 million was spent on strengthening one motorway junction and bridge,Bidston Moss m53, junction 1,while the trains running under it where built in 1979, and the national cycle network track also running below it has had no money spent on it since it was built.

A cheaper idea would be to convert the motorways one side to railways m1 and m25 being classic examples, turn uop at a park and ride and get on a train, get off at the other end and then hire bike or coach/bus.

njee20
    Free Member

except for the capital investment in the infrastructure, oh and Eddie Stobart will have to sell a few lorries and buy a few trains

Like they’ve been doing for a number of years now:

The trouble with flight comparisons is that a lot of people are using domestic flights and connecting to longer ones. A decent proportion of people flying Manchester-Heathrow for example (you can’t fly to City, and BA withdrew the Gatwick route due to lack of demand in April, make of that what you will) many of those people will be changing to trans-Atlantic flights. They won’t get the train, whatever you do.

I forget the figures, but my dissertation at Uni was on the WCML upgrade and the ‘need’ for HS2.

scuttler

Surely most of these ‘full’ planes from Leeds and Manchester must be connecting flights where the destination isn’t London but the airport, which of course is far less risky from a delay perspective (airline’s problem). I’d expect businesses in Slough and Chiswick to benefit from proximity to the airport but not those outside of that radius.

Totally agree on the disruption you get from a short-haul flight where there’s an intense amount of unproductive faffing.

Rail travel’s where it’s at from a productivity perspective but even then it can be challenging in a busy standard class. I use ECML from Wakefield to City occasionally out to Reading and if I work with the meeting planners there’s plenty of opportunity to get discounted travel (not necessarily advanced purchase).

MSP

Unfortunately the British rail network has been wrecked over the past few decades (or going back even further), while our main European competitors have kept on investing in theirs. To put that right will take investment.

The UK has pandered to road for far too long and needs to invest far more into transport diversity, as well as planning “link up” between different modes.

IMO the UK should be planning multiple high speed links, north to south and east to west. Otherwise the UK will increasingly become a less desirable place to invest for manufacturing compared to mainland Europe.

Maybe they could reduce costs by bringing it under a Government infrastructure works department instead of just spunking billions in profit to private companies.

molgrips
    Free Member

How much of this £40bn is spent within the UK? I assume rolling stock would be built by European companies, but what about the rest?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

A little known fact
    Ilkley London fare = £257
    Ilkley Doncaster = £17.70
    Doncaster Newark = £34.60
    Newark London = £135

Thats a fair saving, even cheaper if you split the ticket Retford Newark Peterborough

D0NK

I don’t get why the country needs a very expensive slightly faster rail link?

public transport is shit in this country, needs something doing to it

It’s got pointless, over-budget waste of cash written all over it.

overbudget is a given with public money projects, pointless and waste of cash depends on implementation, so yeah kinda likely 🙁

So why are the government so eager to push this through?

someone somewhere is gonna make a mint, bet they are friends/relations of politicians.

i live in sheffield,…//
    want to go Manchester?

simple, we just drive a gert big **** off high capacity train track between the two, I can’t see any objections to this plan, certainly not on this forum
    🙂

chrismac

I think we need the capacity but because it will be built by the private sector you can be sure the final bill will be way over the estimate as it always is with these projects. Watch out for former ministers poping up ‘working’ for the companies involved.

scaled
    Free Member

Flight from Manchester to Heathrow – ~£90 (train normally ~£180 odd if booked at short notice)
    Taxi to airport – £15
    Taxi/Train the other end depending on how many of us are travelling/meeting there

It’s really really simple to fly, I’m absolutely gutted that BA have stopped the Manchester to Gatwick flight, my OH used to fly down there all the time and hire a car from the airport for all her business down in Dover/Deal/Hastings then just drop the car off at the airport in the evening.

Getting a train to anywhere the other side of London from the north is a massive pain in the arse.

ebygomm
    Free Member

One of the train’s advantages over flying is the being able to arrive in a city centre location. HS2, however, isn’t going to city centre locations outside of London.

piemonster

i live in sheffield, maybe we need fast trains to london, but we already have them, and they’re not full all the time.

but we definitely need quick trains to Manchester, Leeds and Beyond.

want to go to london? – 170 miles in 2 hours, this is fine.

want to go Manchester? – you may as well walk the 30 miles, you’ll get there faster than the train…

want to go to Edinburgh? – first you’ll need to drive to Gatwick, for a flight to Frankfurt, for another flight to Edinburgh.

You can fly from Manchester, http://www.edinburghairport.com/flight-information/route-map

And East Midlands, non stop

D0NK

A little known fact

bolton to manchester in the evenings is silly cheap, £2 or something, well done, get people taking the train for nights out instead of driving, master stroke.
    Wanna head towards blackburn or (god forbid) darwen you suddenly take a massive price hike, 2 or 3 times the price. Why? “coz that’s out of greater manchester innit”

Same line, same trains, same ticket office, different prices, stupid.

njee20
    Free Member

The UK has pandered to road for far too long and needs to invest far more into transport diversity, as well as planning “link up” between different modes.

IMO the UK should be planning multiple high speed links, north to south and east to west. Otherwise the UK will increasingly become a less desirable place to invest for manufacturing compared to mainland Europe.

Part of the problem is that the UK’s geography just doesn’t really lend itself to high speed rail in the same way as France/Germany/Spain. We don’t have big cities with nothing in between, we have lots of intermediate towns folk will want to stop at.

Our rail network is one of the busiest in the world, and it needs sorting, but look at France beyond the TGV and surburban routes, it’s crap! Switzerland is among the best, and no HSR in sight.

unklehomered
    Free Member

HS2, however, isn’t going to city centre locations outside of London.

except Leeds, and Manchester…

MSP

Part of the problem is that the UK’s geography just doesn’t really lend itself to high speed rail in the same way as France/Germany/Spain. We don’t have big cities with nothing in between, we have lots of intermediate towns folk will want to stop at

Yeah France\Germany and Spain have no small towns 🙄

Switzerland is among the best, and no HSR in sight.

The population of Switzerland is about 8 million, and is about 1/6th the size of the UK, not even close to being comparable.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Switzerland is among the best, and no HSR in sight.

One of the oft quoted myths

Dont kid yourself

Junkyard
    Free Member

It will serve very little purpose
    I think a decent link between Liverpool and Hull would serve the North better

Its London centric nonsense to think the solution to all ills is better links to London

Better things could be done with the money to improve the train journey

ahwiles
    Free Member

scaled – Member

Getting a train to anywhere the other side of London from in the north is a massive pain in the arse.

fify.

njee20
    Free Member

Getting a train to anywhere the other side of London from in the north is a massive pain in the arse.

FTFTFY 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

Liverpool and Hull

really? is there much traffic between the two?

I’m all for HS2, reduce short hall flights, freeup frieght capacity, and also, have a big fast awesome train. In actually fact there is a huge investment in the railways coming, the transpennine route is scheduled for electrification, as are some of the smaller lines. This isn’t just a line to get people to Lun-Dun, but to get people out of london, on weekend breaks, you name it. We don’t, in fact can’t know just what the effects of it will be. But its a fraction of what we’re spending on arms and other stuff, and its a massive super fast train. We need a bit of national pride back.

I do think it should start at edinburgh and work its way down, that’s the London centric bit.

Everyone’s getting all outraged at the cost, but I’ve heard very little explanation and discussion of WHY it has to cost so much, or indeed, take so damn long.

project
    Free Member

Liverpool to york is being electrified,

Sadly the tunnels trought he penines linking manchester to sheffield where closed a while ago, and filled wih cables pipes etc to stop them being reused as a high speed link, the edinburgh waverley route was also closed, now being partially reopened in scotland, and lots more routes have been lost forever by poor or non existent planning

project
    Free Member

Liverpool and hull are both major ports, with both Birkenhead and the inland trafford park freight terminal/manchester ship cannal being huge sourses of freight traffic.

ahwiles
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member

except Leeds, and Manchester…

40 miles apart, an hour on the train.

this is crap, HS2 won’t help for at least 25 years.

this is crap.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as he said. FWIW it was a point made on Radio 4 that the train journey between these two ports and across the northern heartland / M62 cannot be made without changes and takes as long as Liverpool to London

As I said it is London centric solution to a problem I am not sure exists

project
    Free Member

leeds manchester is currently being electrified , and geting faster trains and a higher frequency.

unklehomered
    Free Member

40 miles apart, an hour on the train.

this is crap, HS2 won’t help for at least 25 years.

this is crap.

But that’s not the point. It isn’t for connecting Leeds and Manchester, they’re alreaqdy connected, the HS trains will go right into the heart of both those cities, and in both cases slap bang next to the major train station connecting to the surrounding network, the Dales, the Lake District, The Moors, North Wales. It will make a massive difference to travel in the UK. Both for us, but also for visiting tourists, who will be able to get to the north quickly, and easily. Rather than it taking the best part of a day.

markrtw
    Free Member

Connect the HS2 directly to Liverpool using the correct European wide gauge tracks so linking the port with the Channel tunnel.
    That would make Liverpool the biggest & most important port in Europe. Ships could dock, unload and haul the goods by train directly to wherever they need to be in Europe before the ship could have gone round Britain. Saves time, energy and creates loads of jobs for the North West and helps with the balance of payments. Make a wide gauge ‘Branch’ line to Sunderland for Nissan & get shifting some more manufacturing.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Rather than it taking the best part of a day.

London to York currently takes less than 2 hours.

maxtorque

It worth noting that whilst flying is currently affordable, i suspect that in 20 years, with fuel costs having rocketed, it will get a lot lot more expensive!

I think it’s about time we spent some new money on the railways, and used brand new tech, new lines, routes and rolling stock etc. We’ve been “mend and make do” for so long now, the legacy of the existing infrastructure is just too large, and creates a massive burden on any new project.

The potential issue, once again surrounds the future of energy costs. As it gets more and more expensive to travel, and yet more and more internet connection bandwidth becomes availible, less and less people will ultimately travel for work reasons. Afterall, of all the people who work in london, what proportion go there to simple sit at a desk infront of a computer??

unklehomered
    Free Member

London to York currently takes less than 2 hours.

Yes but then you’ve got connecting trains both to Kings X and from York. HS2 goes right by Heathrow. And Leeds the better connecting hub and it takes 2.5 hours, despite it being further south. Cut that leg down to 1hr 20, you could do London to Skipton, Hebden Bridge, Harrogate (don’t laugh, some people really like it, its like the south, but in the north), York, Otley, Settle in 3 to 4 hours from your door.

mogrim

Thing about a connection with London is that London is also connected to Paris and Brussels by train, which means a French tourist could also potentially be in York in 4-5 hours.

Building a decent high speed backbone running down the country also simplifies connections to the rest of the cities not currently included, as you can link into it from the rest of the towns.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes 4-5 hours or 4 hr 40-5hr 40

Ignoring the cross over of times that is no real saving or benefit for all that cost

Its marginally faster for shits loads of money – basically its the 650 b 😉

footflaps

I don’t have a problem with the large capital cost, as construction is highly labour dependent, most of the money get’s circulated back into UK construction companies, which boosts the economy and all their wages get taxed, so a fair chunk (roughly 30%) just comes back as tax revenue.

Peyote
    Free Member

It worth noting that whilst flying is currently affordable, i suspect that in 20 years, with fuel costs having rocketed, it will get a lot lot more expensive!

True, it’s only a matter of time before aviation fuel is taxed properly (like petrol and diesel). It’s also only a matter of time before HGVs and LGVs are taxed properly because car traffic is reducing = less tax revenues. So the cost of goods will go up, unless a cheaper way to shift them can be found… …trains!

Afterall, of all the people who work in london, what proportion go there to simple sit at a desk infront of a computer??

A lot, a stupid amount in fact. Got to be one of the most inefficient way of doing things yet we’ve all bought in to it!

ahwiles
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member

It will make a massive difference to travel in the UK.

no it won’t, HS2 won’t create a fast link between any towns/cities that aren’t already linked by fast trains.

(i din’t know that leeds/manchester was getting electrified, that’s good news!)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘HS2… whats the point?’ is closed to new replies.