Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • HRM's
  • jam-bo

Was about to press the buy button on a topeak panobike HRM and then wondered what benefit it will actually give me other than relieve me of £39.99 and give me another gadget.

So what are they good for?

RealMan
    Free Member

Training.

jam-bo

would that require a training plan?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

If you don’t think there’s a benefit to having one then don’t buy one. They’re good if you want to train in specific zones or are interested in the numbers from a ride.

RealMan
    Free Member

Depends on your definition of training plan. If you think as you go to ride your bike, I’m going to stick to zone 3 today, then that’s a plan, and you need a hrm to do it properly.

Otherwise, http://www.koolstofcoaching.com

jam-bo

at the moment, my general training plan on a road bike is ride up big hill as fast as I can. ride back down as fast as I can. Repeat if I have time.

Live on the edge of Dartmoor so anywhere between 10-40 min climbs.

Would a HRM give me any benefit as steady riding for x-time is pretty hard to achieve round here.

RealMan
    Free Member

Koolstof are based in Exeter, the majority of their riders are based in Devon. If you want to get fitter, easier, with less training, then get yourself a hrm and a training plan. It sounds too good to be true. It isn’t.

Live on the edge of Dartmoor so anywhere between 10-40 min climbs.

Do you mind showing me where a 40 minute climb on Dartmoor is sometime? I’d love to see that 😉

persona
    Free Member

only time I find one useful is to stay in level 2 when getting long steady miles in, a lot harder than you’d think if you live in a hilly area but I reckon it’s worth the benefits for building a good base fitness..
    I know when I’m riding near my max HR or threshold by how it feels and TBH if you’re anywhere near max it’s hard enough staying upright nevermind looking at a number on a watch.
    I’d quite like a bluetooth/ANT HR strap to geek out at the results on strava segments after the event though but not enough to actually buy one.

a cheap HRM can you cost as little as £12 (Aldi/Lidl and the like) and are just as accurate as Polars in my experience.

jam-bo

Tavistock to Princetown is 7 miles & ~1500ft currently takes me ~33mins, down from 42 minutes when I first got a road bike.

Admittidly when the ToB came through last year they did it in 20mins but I’m not really counting that. I’ll be happy to get up there under 30mins.

RealMan
    Free Member

Ahh ok, not really my end of Dartmoor, didn’t know there was anything that big. Might eventually have to get out there and give it a go then. Makes Haytor sound easy..

jam-bo

http://app.strava.com/segments/652085

wasnt quite right. 5.9 miles and 1196ft. basically out my door and turn left. never much chance of a warm up.

jam-bo

Makes Haytor sound easy..

Looking at the stats for haytor its similar in height gain just grinds on for longer. never ridden haytor on the road bike, might have try soon. I’m suprised they don’t take the dartmoor classic up it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I recently bought one, been using it a couple of times(but tbh the strap is a PITA) but i wonder, how accurate are the calorie burned numbers they give you?

I found one useful for working out HR zones and and learning how a given level of effort feels. Also on long time trials it was handy to help keep your effort consistent.

Now I don’t race (or train to race), I find the faff of finding the chest strap and putting it on isn’t worth the info it gives me. (likewise my whizzy cadence meter.

Some of my chums who are still into competion find some sort of power meter much more useful as a training aid.

As far as accuracy of calories used go – I don’t think they are.

If you do get one, don’t rely on the little booklet that gives you “typical training zones”. They vary depending on the type of exercise you do (eg running or cycling) and the type of body you have. Best to do a proper ramp test or something similar.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I use my HRM to help stop me from over-doing it and overheating…a bit like using the tacho on a car.

You might be surprised how hard you are working even when pushing the bike so using a HRM is a good discipline.

I have just replaced my £10 Aldi’s HRM with a Polar F2. I found the Aldi’s one to be too complicated with way too many functions and not at all intuitive or reliable. The Polar F2 may be dearer but its way easier to use, with a much more consistent signal and from previous experience, much more reliable. So far so good. 😀

I would have been tempted by the Cateye Stealth 50 which can be paired with any ANT+ HRM strap but decided on the Polar at the mo. as it worn on the wrist thus allowing it to be used should I try Kayaking.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘HRM's’ is closed to new replies.