Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • HR/Contracts advice
  • stealthcat

A bit of a long story, but I could do with some advice.

I told my bosses I was planning to move out of London (not within commuting distance!) when we put our house on the market late last year. We verbally agreed that once I had an idea of a moving date, we would look at some kind of handover period while I finished off any outstanding projects etc. but nothing has been put in writing yet.

A year later, we’re close to exchanging contracts, so I sat down with the management. They have suggested that I become an “external consultant” for them until next March, working partly from home and partly in their office – they would pay travel and accommodation.

The point that really wound me up was when they added “Oh, we aren’t giving you a payrise this year (due in August, but they hadn’t bothered to tell me anything about it sooner) because you’re leaving soon.”
    The standard policy is that payrises are generally based on seniority, so I should have had about 3-4K this year, if not more. Them using the excuse that they knew I was “leaving” has left me pretty hacked off; I feel like I’m making an effort to fit my life round their business needs, and they’re using it as a chance to cut costs.

I don’t particularly want to go down the “external consultant for a fixed period” route, as they will try to tie me in for the full 6 months, and will probably try to stitch me up financially as well, so what kind of day rate do I go for? I’m thinking that I take my current rate plus about 30% to cover the fact I won’t get pension, NI, healthcare, holidays etc, but I’m wondering whether I should go higher, given I want them to refuse…

As I see it, they can’t sack me, and I haven’t handed in my notice, but they have annoyed me to the point where I’m feeling unhelpful.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Zedsdead
    Free Member

not sure on the best advice for your situation but I do know this:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever trust HR. Ever.

grantway
    Free Member

A bit hard to understand being your a contractor and you should be working to that agreement
    which is in your contract between you both.
    But you seem to be mixing it with current employees.

Has I said unsure, so I would take it to an employee solicitor.
    Or simply approach them and have a meeting and discuss your un happiness
    then if still not happy, then do not continue with another contract once this one is finished.
    But i would not leave Pardon the words on a strop and terminate working ties
    just incase you will have to use them has a reference to your next working contract.

hope the above helps

ridingscared
    Free Member

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever trust HR. Ever

amen to that- recent graduates reading pre-prepared scripts. IMHO.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’m thinking that I take my current rate plus about 30% to cover the fact I won’t get pension, NI, healthcare, holidays etc, but I’m wondering whether I should go higher, given I want them to refuse…

double bubble

EDIT: I base that on the fact I have heard from several people the cost of employing people is about x2 salary, some places more (a civil service I worked at once estimated closer to 3 I think).

stealthcat

Sorry – i should have been a bit clearer. I’m currently on a full-time contract with them, and they want me to move to a consultant-type contract when I move house.

My preference is to continue on my current terms and conditions, but reduced hours, and work out travel costs etc as a separate deal; the problem is that I’m too annoyed about their attitude over the payrise to think straight at the moment. I’ve been unofficially told that the company is not doing as well as it should be (which may not be unrelated to the fact that everyone outside our department gets automated payrises, regardless of the effort they put in…) and it feels as though I’m paying for their mistakes, because the directors in my department are too spineless to stand up for their staff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The strength of your position is only if your skills are needed by the firm. How much over a barrel do you have them?

For the contractor role perhaps double your current daily rate?

grantway
    Free Member

OK re negotiate your terms and find a middle ground and carry on.
    One thing is. There not doing that well is not your problem

I work under contract some times and like Tandem says your only there on the basis
    on skills and thats it. May sound harsh but I work under contract sometimes and
    you must always get your agreements in writing, which is the basis of the contract.

Reality is theres no friends in business.

br
    Free Member

Set up as a limited company, bill then at a rate they’ll agree (suggest twice but be prepared to bargain). If they let you also charge expenses, then brill.

Get over the current issue – like by tomorrow.

And, the longer the offer, the better the deal – or can you afford not to work?

Stoner
    Free Member

London consultant day rates can be anywhere between £500 and £1000 a day depending on contract length, role and sector.

I discount my hourly rate by 1/8 for a day, 1/7 for a week and upto 20% for retainers.

As TJ says, when you go consultant its much easier to set a price for your employment in line with your value. If your skills/knowledge is in short supply and valuable, fill yer boots.

For as long as you can stomach the weekly trip to the office and the stop over when needs be (Ive done it for 5+ years) it gives you access to a a very good income and when youre not in town, more control over your own time. You never know, they may find that they cant do without you for a long time yet to come…

EDIT:
    Distribution chart for daily rates for management consultants

Hourly rates

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contracts/uk/management%20consultant.do
    http://www.redevolution.com/day-rates-explained/

FuzzyWuzzy

Sounds to me like you want to move on and they just want to keep you long enough to get a good replacement. In those circumstances, assuming you can afford to walk away if you can’t make a deal, then I’d be start negotiations on contracting at ‘taking the piss’ rates and go down a bit from there. As for the length, why not just demand it’s only 3 months (or as long as suits you) initially.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘HR/Contracts advice’ is closed to new replies.