• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • HR query
  • logical
    Free Member

I’m working for an outsourcing company through an agency. Last week I had an emergency Dental appointment (after falling off bike on way home from work) to repair a cracked tooth. Then end of last week my 12 week old son ended up in A&E due to an allergic reaction to some formula milk. Then today after getting to work I slipped and have done something horrible to my ankle. Now as it’s 3 incidents of absence and you get sacked where do I stand if I go to A&E after work and get told I can’t go in? I would have thought as accident happened in work then they should have a little more leniency. Or am I being naive?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Naive

unknown
    Free Member

If there’s a chance they could be liable for the accident at work then they may be inclined to be a bit more flexible. Did you get a health and safety site induction? Did you report the accident straight away? Either way you’ve nothing to loose by pointing it out should it come to it.

If you’re easy to replace then fear of litigation/hassle is the only thing on your side. If you’re hard to replace thy may well want to keep you on anyway.

dannybgoode

With regards to the incident with your son that should be classed as parental leave of which you get (I think) a statutory amount and not a period of sickness absence.

Chat to ACAS – its free and they should be able to clarify.

If you have slipped at work and it is a workplace accident again I would have thought they should not class that as a period of sickness as such and ACAS again may be able to advice.

Drac

2, you ask for carers leave for your son, they can give you this as gratis, take it out of your holidays or unpaid you weren’t sick.

Industrial industry is still sickness but they may take it into account it was at work therefore not use it against you unless it becomes a frequent occurrence. Sickness is sickness no matter how you got ill.

logical
    Free Member

I’m not sure they could be liable. I slipped from a kerb. It was reported straight away. But the way its going I think they may see me as replaceable. So it looks like a visit later today after work. Ah well 2 hours to go.

unknown
    Free Member

Then just be straight with them, you’ve had an unusual run of bad luck but are determined not to let it impact work if you can help it.

project
    Free Member

Just depends on how much they need you, or how much they can save by getting rid of you, tell the truth to them and let them decide.

iolo
    Free Member

The best way would be to speak to them.
    I’m sure you will have nothing to worry about if you’re good in your job. They know you now and don’t need the hassle of having to get someone new.
    It’s not as if all these problems you had were anybody’s fault.

hels
    Free Member

What everyone else said, plus, get your arse into work tomorrow if you have to get somebody to carry you. What is this “get told I can’t go in” do you think they might amputate ? GO IN.

And, sorry but if you were in any way critical and they really needed you they wouldn’t apply the 3 strikes rule.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Go into work and if they think you aren’t fit they will send you home.

logical
    Free Member

I’m in work. I’m going to A&E at 4 today. Couldn’t go last night cos I fell asleep as soon as I got home. But my foot looks like a balloon.

lucien

to OP – you are posting those pics in the wrong place, and need to be sharing with your employer – you can’t rally support on a forum. There seems to be some “justification” happening already on your part – go talk with your employer, be honest and straight, if you have nothing to hide all will be well.

Drac

Well you should have gone last night but I’d go now, you had an injury at work they should have provided you with first aid and offered you further treatment when it happened. Go and talk to your line manager tell them you’re in pain and need to go to A&E but will return to work in some form of capacity ASAP. You have a genuine injury that happened at work so get it sorted.

geoffj

Couldn’t go last night cos I fell asleep as soon as I got home.

You had my sympathy until the above statement. I’d suggest not using that line with your employer.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

The policy on 3 incidences of absence – are you sure that’s not unexplained absence? Because I am not sure that legally, you can be sacked for being sick 3 times/having to care for a sick child etc…..

If you’re a contractor, then surely the impact is just that if you are sick and can’t go in, you don’t get paid?

iolo
    Free Member

Your employer will probably send you home with a foot like that due to being unable to work and a risk to them allowing you to work and causing more damage.Where there’s blaim there’s a claim yadah yadah
    Go to A&E asap.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘HR query’ is closed to new replies.