• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • HP ink work around?
  • zippykona

The only reason we bought our current printer is that it used the same ink as the old one.
    That printer quite happily used non brand ink off eBay. The new one won’t take it at all.
    Tried turning it off ,putting them in and then turning it back on.
    Any other hacks to try before bankrupting myself by buying genuine ink?

docrobster
    Free Member

vanilla83
    Free Member

Another for instant ink. Can’t remember the last time I actually paid for ink – it just arrives when needed and they recycle the old ones

zippykona

I shall investigate.

peekay

Can’t remember the last time I actually paid for ink

Are you not paying for it each month via a subscription?

rossburton
    Free Member

Buy a non-HP printer that doesn’t refuse to use unbranded ink?

gobuchul
    Free Member

You need to disable cartridge protection.

It’s quite straight forward.

https://www.bestprice.ink/en/support/how-to-disable-hp-cartridge-protection-on-my-printer-24

docrobster
    Free Member

I resisted signing up for instant ink for months as I thought it would be a rip off. I’ve been presently surprised how much cheaper it is. Also the cartridges they send are much bigger and last loads longer so only need changing rarely.

vanilla83
    Free Member

Are you not paying for it each month via a subscription?

Nope. I don’t use much paper/ink each month so rarely go over the monthly limit.

Also this

Also the cartridges they send are much bigger and last loads longer so only need changing rarely.

johndoh
    Free Member

Also the cartridges they send are much bigger and last loads longer so only need changing rarely.

Which actually pisses me off – if they can use them on the subscription, why aren’t they the same size when you buy them in a shop? Just more waste and more landfill.

Although I agree the service IS good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You need to disable cartridge protection.

It’s quite straight forward.

https://www.bestprice.ink/en/support/how-to-disable-hp-cartridge-protection-on-my-printer-24

did you read it ? that doesnt let you use third part carts.

gobuchul
    Free Member

did you read it ? that doesnt let you use third part carts.

It did for me.

leffeboy

Instant ink and get on with something else.  Even if you need a new printer to use it it is worth the hassle

phil5556

Instant ink have stopped their free tariff i think, minimum is £1/month which is what I pay. Still loads cheaper.

zippykona

Couldn’t do the work around listed above so been doing my sums and instant ink looks good……..apart from my printer isn’t compatible. Great.

Cougar

A basic new printer is likely less than the price of a brace of cartridges.

zippykona

I’m not sure what the actual definition of the amount of ink in a new printer but I’m guessing it must be something like “a suggestion of ink.”

spannermonkey

Love HP instant ink, especially with 2of us WFH and a teenager at 6th form.

My current Envy 5000/5020 (?) printer was only £20 delivered from eBay. Perfect ‘as new’ refurbed condition. Win, win 😀

Cougar

I’m not sure what the actual definition of the amount of ink in a new printer but I’m guessing it must be something like “a suggestion of ink.”

Back when I used to be in public support, we referred to them as “starter cartridges.”

matt_outandabout

Another on HP ink – I’ve upped it through lockdown, back on a few months of cheaper for the summer with less WFH and school work being done.

So much cheaper.

Do look out – we bought a new HP printer with a year of ‘free’ HP ink – which was worth more than the printer. Then we got an online offer so used different email address and signed up to 6 month free for teacher, then last year got 3 months free as a student deal on another email address…

irc

Another plus vote for HP Instant Ink here.

I kept my printer only Canon going for years. When it finally died I got a HP Envy 6000. Looks cheap to run. Good quality prints and scans.

And the wireless printing which I wasn’t bothered about is brilliant. Easy set up.

fossy

Our old and trusty HP Photosmart 309g has finally died with print system errors. Cleaned the heads, changed cartridges and got a new print head.

Plumped up for a HP OfficeJet Pro 8024e with 9 months free instant ink. Pleasantly surprised with all the additional functionality. Daughter has started back at college and needs to print a stack of stuff out (studying Art) so this should pay for itself. Also means she can print from her ipad too with the App, and it allows you to print from anywhere, and turn on the ‘proximity’ feature, in that the jobs spool on the web, then as you get into range of home wifi, they then print out.

The only thing I will say, is there is next to no stock in Currys.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘HP ink work around?’ is closed to new replies.