Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • How’s you Covid recovery been?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

So after working flat out as an essential worker in London at it’s height. Getting double jabbed I finally succumbed the other week.
    I need to ask what peoples recovery, especially back into riding has been like. I have to ask because this isn’t like anything I’ve ever had before.
    I’ve never experienced this feeling like I can still do stuff, but quite obviously can’t. As in I’ll keel over!

TiRed

Check your oxygen saturation levels. There have been admissions where people haven’t thought themselves particularly ill, but had very low SATS. How is the sense of smell? It’s 18 months and I’m back on a bike – of sorts. Long way back to 2nd cat and 12 hour TT’s. I wonder if the smell will ever return. Time will tell. Hope you are better soon.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I too after being free of the virus throughout the initial pandemic, and having a double vaccinated status, succumbed on tuesday the 12th October.

Mild irritating cough on tuesday pm, turned into feverish, freezing cold, shivering, and with a continual, persistent cough all night, that meant when I woke on Weds I was absolutely shatterered and unable to even think straight, and this was essentially repeated for about 3 days, before the hot/cold feverish symptoms started to relent – A week spent sitting up in bed, as the only way to even try to get sleep. The weird thing is that you’re not “porductive” theres no snot, no runny nose, no chest congestion, just an iunexplicable cough, without even a sore or tickly throat – but the cough, although better at nearly 2w post covid, and I suspect symptom free, is that bad that a conversation of a few minutes, or a short walk, brings on a hacking fit that almost turns me inside out if I allow it to continue.

Certainly not planning on getting on a bike for some time….. even looking at it makes me feel like coughing.

I feel free of symptoms, but fear that theres actual “damage” on the lungs, thats going to take a while to fix.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldnick

Slow in a word.

Double jabbed, then caught covid when it flew round the youngest’s school. 3 days in bed with what resembled proper flu, then slowly picked up. However 3 weeks later and the rate of improvement has levelled off, I can do a short day at work but need an hours sleep when I get back home. Slept 3 hours on a sofa whilst my lads played in a tennis tournament, that sort of thing.

Anything approaching effort and the cough immediately has me dizzy, though SATS were 98% recently.

Riding a bike? Don’t make me laugh, that makes me dizzy too!

longdog
    Free Member

I’m still struggling to get over this ‘super cold’, not covid, and finding even a couple of mile walk leaves me exhausted, drained and feeling like a lack of air with tight chest and throat and some coughing. Really needed to lie down.

Was thinking to get at SpO2 thing or an app on the phone to check O2 after any exercise. I know what it should be before exercise (in the past been 98% all the time for me), but what would be an ok level after?

anagallis_arvensis

I had covid last January, before vaccinations were a thing, really knocked me on my arse for a week. About as ill as I’d ever been. Was back on short gentle rides after 2 weeks took over a month to feel ok on the bike again.

mudmuncher

Alarming to see the double jabbed getting quite ill.

Can I ask the people who were jabbed how long was the gap between your last jab and infection and which vaccine did you have.

grahamt1980

Took me 6 weeks before i got rid of the tight sensation in my chest and felt right when riding. Caught it in early Sept following the great school return.

StuF

In the middle of it at the mo. Double jabbed but caught last weekend. A bit achy on Wednesday, positive on Friday. Feeling a bit better today but so far no worse than a cold, certainly not as snotty and an occasional cough.

Looking forward to recover but going to take it very easy

Keando

Been tested positive and now self isolating. Pfizer double jabbed – last one back in May
    Timeline
    Monday – started coughing not continuously but a lot more than usual.
    Tuesday – Coughing, starting to feel a bit under the weather (headache, tired, a running nose – typical cold symptoms). LFT evening – negative.
    Wednesday – Cough had subsided slightly but still having cold symptoms. Was looking at the phone APP said had cough that had started on Monday. This then flagged – to Self isolate for 9 days and to get a PCR test. Which I did.
    Thursday – coughing, Headache, Shivers etc. Got message on the APP that i had been in contact with somebody on the previous Friday that had tested positive and to self isolate etc… PCR result back as positive.
    Been working from Home and hardly going out. But had gone for a curry a week last Friday and think that may have been where I got it from.
    A week since I started coughing. Now feeling tired, headachy, and a bit stuffed up.
    Self isolation end at the end of the day on Thursday. Looking forward to getting out on Friday or at the weekend. Don’t know if it will be on the bike or not. Will see how I feel closer to the day.

drdjpower

Like many here, I’m double-jabbed and caught COVID about 4 weeks ago it via our children. I felt generally OK but I certainly knew I had it! Generally hung-over feeling, and very tired and needing 10 hours sleep each night plus a siesta.

I was able to keep working from home (maybe stupid, I work in a university and taking time off just stores up even more work for later). Looking back I really can’t remember very much of the work I did in that two weeks.

I was able to run and bike again after 2 weeks, but I’m still a bit slower than I’d normally expect to be (objectively, running 7.30 miles used to be fine for up to an hour, but now 8.00 miles for 20 mins feels hard) and I’m having to breathe slightly faster than “normal”. Both biking and running I find I can be suddenly reduced to a standstill – phrases like “hitting the wall” and “running through treacle” were things I had read about but not experienced until now.

Anyroadup, I feel like I’m making progress.

breadcrumb

I’m still in my 10 day isolation so interesting to see how others have been with it. I feel more knackered than usual, feels like a particularly bad cold but the loss of taste/smell is a weird thing. I could quite happily drink Ouzo/Vodka/Sambuca neat and not boak. Even taking a big sniff from my Laphroaig whiskey does nothing.

I’ve still been reasonably active in the garden, so not hit as hard as some others.

doris5000

I’ve had Long Covid for nearly 19 months. I am improving very very slowly, but still get walloping levels of brain fog (as in, lasting for days and I can barely do my job), occasional chest tightness and of course the hovering grey cloud of constant fatigue. Can’t see myself being back on the bike (for anything more than a 15 minute pootle) any time soon.

qwerty
    Free Member

Someone I know who had it bad a year ago just posted their hospital diagnosis having been a guinea pig for tests:

After extensive tests from the best medical professionals I could wish for I have a diagnosis of multisystem dysautonomia.

This includes:

– Hypotension

– Orthostatic Intolerance

– Blood Pressure variation

– Vasomotor instability of peripheral circulation

– Fatigue and fogging -Hyperhidrosis

– Reduced venous return – Splanchnic autotransfusion failure

– Cardioaccelerator impairment – Orthostatic fatigue

In simple terms my sympathetic nervous system (fight and flight response) has been severely compromised.

Susie
    Free Member

Other half is currently a week into it. He’s not had the jab, so I’ve been worried sick all week. He seemed to be getting better at the weekend and his cough seemed a lot better but it’s come back again today and sounds awful and he’s achy all over again and has a rash. I’m double jabbed but still worried about getting it as I haven’t been able to isolate from him. I have asthma and I’m at 5 months post 2nd jab. I thought there was supposed to be some protection from infection with the jabs but heard of so many breakthrough cases. Everyone’s experiences above are quite scary.

Inbred456
    Free Member

2nd Jab AZ in May caught Covid on 8th October. Aches and pains neck back and hips. Hot and cold sweats and coughing. No headaches fortunately. General lethargy etc. Back to work on the 19th, unfortunately I had to work from Home during my isolation as it ripped through our Company and people were a lot worse than me. Several not jabbed. (Flat Earthers !!!!). Still have a tight chest although the coughing has subsided. I will be walking for the foreseeable until I’m sure the old lungs are up to it. With the Delta variant it will not trigger a LFT until you have full on symptoms by then you’ve infected everybody in your proximity.

woody2000

Caught it 3 weeks or so ago. Was generally pretty mild, felt fluey for 4 days maybe, had a cough for a day, lost my sense of taste/smell (which is still not really back yet). But as others have mentioned, feel tired very easily – have been out on the bike a few times since isolation ended and felt like I was at about 60%. At times fine, other times feeling like lead weights attached to my legs.  Reasonably happy I’m moving forwards though, don’t think there’ll be any long term effects.

Double jabbed, last one in June (AZ)

oldgit
    Free Member

My second jab was July. I was ill before I tested positive. My missus is still frontline so we test on a regular basis. I thought it was from my sea swimming. But Friday I tested again and it came up positive. No smell and reduced taste is odd. Only neat whiskey and curries are cutting it……every cloud.

abingham

Caught it in August and was single jabbed at the time.

While the initial infection and isolation was fine (I’m pretty healthy and fairly young still) I got very peculiar nausea a week or so post infection which led to dizziness and vertigo which is now manageable but still not perfect.

I’m back on the bike and lungs were back to normal quite quickly but rough trails which make my head bounce around, or looking too quickly left or right send me rather dizzy.

colournoise

Never actually tested positive as didn’t have classic symptoms, but 95% sure I had it between Christmas and New Year (my wife tested positive New Year’s Eve and as we’re teachers, the only person she’d been in contact with for two weeks locked down before that was me). Had one evening of being weirdly disconnected from reality (I was aware of seeing and hearing things happen but not actually registering them until 4 or 5 seconds later – strangest feeling I’ve ever had), and then 5 days of feeling OK but having no energy at all – sleeping 15+ hours a day and not really eating.

Long term impact is tough to gauge. In February, my undiagnosed foot/ankle issues flared up worse than ever and I was pretty much immobile (in terms of any real activity) for 8 weeks. Off the back of that, this year has been my lowest number of rides (less than one per week on average) and lowest distance cycled since 2011. Getting back into more regular riding now and it’s super hard work…

Some rides are OK, but then others are hard to the point of feeling like I need to get off and walk home. Example – was struggling for fitness in July/August but took the bike up to North York Moors anyway when we went camping. Did a not quite 30km natural ride one afternoon and Dalby the next morning and felt surprisingly OK. Couple of weeks later was down at FoD, only rode the blue gently and had to go back to the van as was completely spent.

Question is whether that’s just down to lack of exercise this year and an ageing body taking longer to regain bike fitness, down to a Covid hangover/long term complications, or down to a combination of both?

Have since had both vaccinations, and even though working in a Covid-risky environment (secondary school) with regular LFT testing I’ve been clear so far since.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Caught it on a riding weekend in Wales (October 15th). First symptoms, the following Monday with fatigue. Started feeling quite unwell on the Tuesday afternoon. Tested positive on Thursday. The next 3 days felt quite awful with aches, shivers and a side-splitting headache. Loss of senses of both taste and smell.
    All symptoms now subsiding – hopefully to a full recovery. As you can see that’s taken about a week. I’m still isolating for another 4 days.
    I managed to infect other members of my family – we all had our 2nd jabs in May / June.
    My youngest only just had her 2nd jab just over a month ago … she’s not caught it.

johnnymarone
    Free Member

Unjabbed, as are all my family.
    Was working in a bubble of unjabbed coleagues, no problems at all for the duration of the pandemic so far. Forced, under protest, to work putside of my department (to cover for Covid cases, with Covid sufferers, I later found out.Raging) came down with it within 24hours. Apart from me, 4 cases on t he same cell. Apart from me, all double jabbed.I caught it off someone double jabbed.
    Started with extreme sudden exhaustion, as in sat down and passed out. Knew something was up but only hour and half til hometime so stuck ot out. Passed out in my car on my drive.
    Raging, ferocious temperature for 12 hours, no sweating though. No mucus of any sort, no sore throat, just tired and on fire.
    Following that, instant positive LFT test and positive PCR. No real symptoms other than sore ,aching tendons.Weird.
    Day 3, loss of taste and smell, sudden extreme vertigo with terrible nausea. Tendons still sore, cant get comfortable.Appetite destroyed.
    Day 4-10 appetite gradually returning, went from 15st to 13st10 though. Very unsteady on my feet, nausea subsiding by day 8. Vertigo still evident but not as severe. Sense of smell and taste a thing of the past it seems. Some coughing, not much though.
    Day 11, gradually getting stronger but am not planning on going back to judo , the gym or biking anytime soon. Staying off work as long as possible, despite suggestions by them that I go back.
    So, not the worst illness I ever had ( that was meningitis) but not something I want to experience for a while again.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Had it a couple of weeks back, caught from sister’s kids/school etc

Wee bit phlegmy for a few days and that was about it. Felt like a very mild cold.
    Double vaccinated, last jab in August.

Recovery was fine – chomping at the bit to get out and walk/gym/bike as soon as my 10 days were up.

Considering it a booster jab

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve not had it. Yet. But I’m double vaxxed and people are talking about boosters. I’m hearing some hospitals are saying if it’s been 6 months since your second vax, they’re are now not considering you as being vaccinate until a booster has been given.

We have 2 cases in iso here in WA.

The feeling of impending doom is affecting some, and others oblivious. It’s bad over East but now they seem to be just accepting that the “vaccine” hasn’t really helped prevent people from getting infected or passing it on.

I had an email advising me my laptop is being designated as a Covid Laptop (whatever that means). We are seriously short staffed. Front line health. And they are mandating people across the board to be vaccinated or lose jobs (not sure how this will help the already low numbers of staff?)

Even our nursing union has just sent out 2 quite posh branded face masks to each union member and that makes me feel uneasy.

Heads up WA. It’s coming.

freeagent
    Free Member

Had my second jab on July 4th.

My Daughter tested positive on 11-Oct, and me a week later (last Monday)
    First few days were a bit of a blur – i had cold shivers, blinding headache, muscle aches, joint point, very mild cough and snotty nose.
    Also super tired/fatigued.
    I started feeling better after 4-5 days, but still achy, tired, painful sinuses and toothache.
    Yesterday i started back working from home. I was relieved to make it through the day and was absolutely exhausted last night.
    Today is my first day out of isolation, i’m going to carry on WFH for the foreseeable as i don’t think i could do the 40 min drive to work even if i wanted to.
    i feel like my lung capacity has been reduced as i’m out of breath walking upstairs.

Oh, and i’ve had absolutely no sense of taste/smell since day one – nothing, although the last day or so i can tell the difference between sweet/salty.

I’m 48, a bit overweight but fairly fit – i was on target to ride 2000 miles on the road this year, but can’t see me back on the bike anytime soon.

This feels different to previous ‘cold/flu recovery periods’ – i can’t quite explain why.

bombjack
    Free Member

Like many above, worked all through in school, double vax, fairly fit, hadnt had a cold or flu in years. Once all the kids returned to school, I got a massive case of freshers flu (since our head decided to remove the need for facemasks) so was off work for 3/4 days, had negative PCR (Sat) followed by negative LFD (Thurs), my eldest complained of a headache on the Monday morning as I was doing by pre work LFD and lo and behold we were both positive.
    TBH the actual cough wasnt too bad, it was more the just general feeling of crapness and lack of energy. Initially tried WFH, but it soon became apparent that I was having difficulty focusing, getting any info out of anything, and just couldnt really function. I wasn’t *ill* it was just this stupid head fog and malaise that I couldnt shake.
    Had all these great ideas about how I was going to get back on-it following the end of isolation – managed a 5k run the day after and was gassed (and about 4 mins off my average for that route) 3 days later I managed to complete an hr on Zwift and that wiped me out for about another 4 days.
    The tiredness is so different to anything I’ve had before, even when stupidly overtraining. School have been great in allowing WFH where possible as it seems to be a common post-covid symptom that the recovery is long and you’ve really got to listen to your body. Even more so as within my group of peers we cant really remember the last time we were properly ill.
    I wouldnt wish it on anyone, and I’d hate to think how bad it would be without the vaccine.

freeagent
    Free Member

I wouldnt wish it on anyone, and I’d hate to think how bad it would be without the vaccine.

+1.
    I think this would have been a hospital job for me.

Coyote
    Free Member

Got it in July despite being double jabbed. Wiped out for a week, then slow recovery. Mainly very tired with low energy. Got back to the gym but nowhere near previous best weights. Had sickness and diarrhoea start of last week followed by a real chesty cough, thankfully Covid negative. Again, stating to feel better but feel like I’ve spent my time since July running significantly sub-optimal.

Got off light compared to some though.

lovewookie

got Covid just before the first lockdown. Got off lightly I think. not too much of a cough, overnight fever, sore head, brain fuzz, tiredness.
    every few months or so, I get varying levels of the same. Mostly fatigue and brain fuzz. Seems to be getting less frequent though. Anytime I’ve been tested it’s always been negative.

I did react similarly to the vaccine too, albeit with strong migraine headaches the last of which had me in the MRI at hospital to check for stroke. I’d only ever had a couple of migraines before that, in 47 years.

doris5000

I did react similarly to the vaccine too, albeit with strong migraine headaches the last of which had me in the MRI at hospital to check for stroke. I’d only ever had a couple of migraines before that, in 47 years.

I had never (knowingly) had a migraine in my life before the vaccine! Very odd. They seem to have passed now though.

lovewookie

yeah, really odd, migraines 2 and 6 weeks after the jabs, both times

that or throwing a clot, as my nurse of a wife says, like its nothing..:-/

none since though.

i’m not really looking forward to the booster, but at least it’ll not be AZ

Bunnyhop

For those of you who have lost their sense of smell, there is a charity called Abscent that sends out kits for a fee. The kits help to ‘kickstart’ the brain into training it to smell again. I lost my sense of smell several years ago after an operation, the kit hasn’t helped me, however the sooner you start the better for returning smell quickly.

https://abscent.org/support-us/shop

ahsat

For those questioning return to exercise, there is a lot of literature on it. This is helpful: https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.m4721

It’s a bit long but the figure in the main part of the paper will be most useful part.

I was in my weekly long Covid course yesterday (11 months on for me, and of course pre jabs) which was about exercise and they once again said this is virus like they have never seen before. Take it carefully.

c_klein87

I seem to be back to my “new normal” health after long covid for 18months, originally i wasn’t particularly ill so tried to get on as normal, plus everyone telling me (including doctors) that there was no reason i should be feeling unwell. Seems a lot better understanding of it now, but i’m still petrified of getting ill again but hopefully my body will be better placed to fight it off. But its turned me from a fairly elite athlete in to a much more regular human, used to race alot but haven’t had the inclination to race a bike since, turning to ultra running for my racing fix, when i’m not injured.

breadcrumb

Last day of isolation for me and feeling the best I have for ten days, I think just having some taste/smell back has lifted my spirits a bit too. Fortunately I had the next couple of days booked off, unfortunately I’m back in on Saturday night and with the clocks changing it’s a 13hr shift ☹️

Scapegoat

Double jabbed and both 57, Mrs Scape and I both started with runny nose and headaches,and a bit of a sore throat. I did a negative LFT on Thurs 14th, Mrs Scape negative the next day. Two days later I was told someone I had been in contact with had tested positive and sure enough we both tested positive too.

We both had really runny noses with plenty of sneezing, fever and headaches, plus sore legs. Taste and smell both disappeared innthe first couple of days.

We’re more than a fortnight past the first symptoms and there’s still a bit of a cough, and were both a bit more lethargic than usual. I describe it as more of a feeling of general malaise than being ill, though after a couple of hours out with the dog I’m pretty much all in.

I’m starting to get some taste back…. but nothing like normal. Tried a whisky yesterday and it tastes of alcohol and a bit of sweetness.

scud
    Free Member

I caught it beginning of this month from daughter, despite being Type 1 diabetic and it playing havoc with her blood glucose for a few days (illness makes her insulin resilient) she was tired and slept a lot for a few days, but fine.

Both my wife and i then went down with it within 4 days (both double jabbed, me AZ, wife had the posh Pfizer vaccine as NHS), we were both really ill for 7-8 days, headaches, that flu like aching of muscles and joints, nausea etc.

I had some weird symptoms, my skin was overly sensitive in that it felt weird to pull t-shirt over torso, or run fingers in hair! and my eyesight went downhill for about 7-10 days, not sure if this was fatigue of muscles controlling eyes, or O2 levels dropping as i am also asthmatic and my lungs needed steroid tablets to get me through.

We both also commented that old injuries that haven’t caused problems in years ached, being a big daft ex-army/ prop forward/ MTB-er i have a collection of broken bones, metal pins in jaw and shoulder and issues with tendons etc, all of which really ached??

Thankfully i feel 90% better, still loss of taste and constant “metallic” taste in mouth, annoying as i love coffee which i can’t drink as it tastes off, and i can only taste sweet and salty things, which is a git when you much prefer savoury and lots of pepper!

I tried to ride bike last night for 20 miles, rode MTB thinking my chest can open up more than drop bar bikes, managed 20 miles, and lungs seemed ok, but had nothing power wise, struggled to hold 8-10mph, on sections i know i’d be riding 16-17mph on.

So plan for me for next few months is to be a bit dull, and sit on turbo turning legs over in Zone 2 and catch up on some movies, and increase amount if i feel OK to, plus that way i can be warmer and breathe through nose, instead of gulping cold air into lungs..

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

So, three weeks after catching it, my sense of smell has gone!

djglover
    Free Member

I caught Covid from my kids as it ripped through the school. it took 6 days to feel well, 3 of those laying on the sofa. Just starting to get my taste back properly now after 18 days. Got off pretty lightly I think. Had my last AZ jab in June

scruff
    Free Member

My first ride in 3 weeksish yesterday, mellow gravel ride – breathing laboured and properly affected by anything remotely steep, like riding at 3000m but recovery much quicker than it was, walking up a stairs a week ago had me needing a rest.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How’s you Covid recovery been?’ is closed to new replies.