Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 310 total)
  • How's this gym workout for weight loss?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’re not trying to get big. You’re trying to get strong.

Keep lifting heavier and heavier weights and eat a sensible diet, it’s not that difficult.

molgrips
    Free Member

I admit the lifting hasn’t made me need to eat lots, whereas hard riding does.

footflaps

I’m unlikely to win an Elite race now, let’s face it

Probably not Elite, but no reason why you can’t race at Sport/Expert/ level. I’d avoid Masters / Vets as that’s full of ex-elite trophy baggers.

E.g. I started racing properly at 35 and within a couple of years got to mid pack Expert class standard at 38 and I have no genetic predisposition to sport (came last in everything at school), just a lot of stubborn determination. A 6 month kidney / prostatitis infection killed off my racing career though – never got back into it after that.

Was way better at cycling than I am at weight lifting mind….

teasel
    Free Member

whereas hard riding does.

I reckon it makes you feel more hungry than you really are. Probably why so many cyclist are fat gits. Or, probably more accurately, pot-bellied with reasonably good legs.

Not a good look…

molgrips
    Free Member

no reason why you can’t race at Sport/Expert/ level

I’ve not raced for many years – coming home 20/80 in open lost its appeal after the 30th time.

However I think I’m a lot stronger and tougher now – but perhaps not faster. I was waiting til my weight dropped to a respectable level before trying again. Problem is there are few races near me so it means either a whole day away from the family or a weekend away.

I started racing properly at 35 and within a couple of years got to mid pack Expert class standard at 38

That’s pretty impressive. I never got near the front of Sport.

footflaps

That’s pretty impressive. I never got near the front of Sport.

I put in 16 hours a week every week for 2-3 years come rain or shine (100% on Turbo / Road). Mid winter I’d come from work and sit on the Turbo for 2 hours every night mid week. Only road the MTB for races as it’s more efficient to train on road for fitness.

Not much of a life, hence I don’t miss it one bit. However, it delivered the results….

NB I was single at the time…

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok fair enough. I’ve never felt myself in a position to put that many hours in – at least, not since I’ve had the motivation to even think about it.

teasel
    Free Member

Just imagine if you took all that time in which you forced yourself to sleep when at Uni and applied it to, well, pick a bloomin’ sport, man!

You coulda been a contender…

molgrips
    Free Member

😆

footflaps

Ok fair enough. I’ve never felt myself in a position to put that many hours in – at least,

Unless you’re a genetic freak, that’s the basic requirement to race NPS XC.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d love to lower my body fat to single digits, but only because it would make me climb like a rocket and win races

I’ve not raced for many years

Stop trolling these dear people or admit that…

I’m sitting around dreaming

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never denied that, TSY. Not enough training, always been the issue.

footflaps

I’m currently training the one arm pull up, i’m not expecting to bust one out for probably another six months, but i have the determination to get there.

Here’s some inspiration then:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dj7UUN4RIs#t=111[/video]

teasel
    Free Member

So, how’s it going with the weights – still lifting and riding or just riding?

For me it’s going good. Started the hill sprints – only made me vomit on the first 10 minute sesh at around 7 minutes in. Since then I’ve been hitting the full 10 minutes. Reduced the calories again, this time I’m being smarter and taking it down to 1300 – 1800 with only about 45 – 60g of carbs. It’s quite difficult and I’ve had no choice but to leave the intensity the same.

Today I went for my first bike ride in what seems like years. Can’t recall how long it’s been but all the tyres were flat, shocks and brakes slightly stuck, so quite a while. First hill was easy. I mean really easy. Flat singletrack was fast and small inclines were met with gusto. All in all the lifting has made me fitter on the bike than I’ve ever been, which isn’t really saying much as I’ve never been all that apart from gravity assisted stuff. The hill sprints are obviously taking care of the cardio side as my breathing was fine for such a hot day. Done after a lifting session, too, so didn’t go out expecting my performance to be anything quite like it was.

Box jumps start next week so should make riding even easier.

Really enjoying being 49 and the fittest I’ve ever been. Strong, too. So much so it was commented on whilst lifting huge plants for a mate at the weekend. Real world strength displays can be fun but more importantly it can be done safely without injury or risk.

Thanks to all you guys that kept suggesting weights/callisthenics a few years back. I heard ya…!

Just going to sit down and start that Supple Leopard book a few of you were suggesting a while back – see what that bring to the game.

molgrips
    Free Member

🙂

I was up in Glasgow regularly so I got a bit of a routine, but that’s gone a bit now as I’ve been in Sheffield the last two weeks. Last week in Glasgow I went riding instead since I had my bike.

I thought I’d focus on deadlifts, starting with 3×10. That felt good but left me ravenous. Did some more reading and thought 5×5 was more appropriate. Did 92.5kg and it felt really tough, so a few days later I did 95 with a bit of aprehension and it was fine. Still feels bloody heavy but I did it ok.

Still riding – did about 7 hours ish last week, already done about 4 this week. Considering if I want to head out to the gym again now.

Also iDieting quite heavily now though and I’ve lost some weight, I think I’m below 87kg for the first time since my youngest was born nearly 6 years ago.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I went and did 97.5 deadlift and 65 bench press, although I had to use that machine that guides the bar as the free bars were all busy.

The DL was tough – first time I felt my grip beginning to slip. The first lift from the ground is far harder than the rest of the exercise though – does everyone else get this?

el_boufador

Yeah I find my first lift of each exercise is harder, like my body isn;t ready to do it, and needs to remember. Once I’m a set in my form is better.

I have bought some lifting straps which I am using for DLs an rows, and they help a lot

sadexpunk

i also find my first rep harder, in fact on some exercises the whole first set (probably dont warm up adequately tho).

was going to suggest straps too, but you can also do the alternate grip thing if that helps, with one of your palms facing upwards, the other down. then just swap grips per set. i prefer straps tho.

good to see you getting the desired results 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Those machines with the guided bar – do we think they are easier for the same weight?

BillOddie

Those machines with the guided bar – do we think they are easier for the same weight?

You mean Smith machines?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Those machines with the guided bar

Smith machine?

footflaps

Did 92.5kg and it felt really tough, so a few days later I did 95 with a bit of aprehension and it was fine. Still feels bloody heavy but I did it ok.

They all feel bloody heavy after a certain point, but you find you can just keep going.

A good indication of how close you are to max is the speed of the lift. If the bar is coming up in under 1-2 seconds you can lift more…

When it feels like the lift took 15 seconds (in reality probably about 3-4) you are getting close to / at 1RM.

If you pass out shortly after lifting and find yourself lying face first in a pile of weights – that was probably close to 1RM as well…

yes lots, unless you are doing rehab and have knackered stabilisers / torn tendons, they’re pretty pointless. Post ACL reconstruction I can see they might be of some use.

molgrips
    Free Member

I admit it did feel easier.. 🙂

Re passing out – I do sometimes get slightly woozy after 5, but if I make sure to breathe it’s not too bad. All my lifts are 1-2 seconds so far, so I’ve still got room to go heavier it seems.

sadexpunk

smith machine, yes, considerably. free weights require you to use more stabilising muscles too which make the exercise harder.

may be teaching granny to suck eggs but make sure you breathe correctly too, exhale on the grunt part of the lift. do that part of the lift as explosively as possible, then just resist the return (not too slowly tho) rather than bounce up and down, everything controlled.

EDIT: havent read all the thread so not sure of weight training goals but i do 30 reps total per exercise and only really log the first set as the following sets will vary depending on rest times. i up the weight slightly when i can do 12 reps on first set. and if say i can only do 10 reps, then 8, then 7 i keep doing sets until ive hit the total reps. thats just me tho, im not saying thats what you should do…. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve read that 10-12 reps per set is for hypertrophy, 5 for strength. I don’t want to be ‘bigger’.

Duffer
    Free Member

The DL was tough – first time I felt my grip beginning to slip.

I found that after a while. I switched to a mixed grip which helped loads (just make sure you maintain discipline though, or you can really injure your forwards-facing arm).

The other thing I did was work on my grip strength. With a moderately heavy bar, simply deadlift it with a normal grip, and hold on for as long as possible (usually start to cry after 10 seconds or so!)

I decided not to use straps. The whole reason I’m in the gym is to get stronger, so I don’t want to use straps to mask a grip weakness. If rather just develop the grip strength. Not everyone will agree obviously.

molgrips
    Free Member

8 pages and we are not having an argument? We must all be tired after our workouts 🙂

Good thread though, lots of advice-sharing which is appreciated.

footflaps

I’ve read that 10-12 reps per set is for hypertrophy, 5 for strength. I don’t want to be ‘bigger’.

Yep.

For Max strength 1-5
    For Max hypertrophy 8-12

5 is a good all round number for strength training.

I decided not to use straps.

Good, works grip strength as well.

Currently I have Golfers elbow, so have to use straps for everything to try and minimise aggravating it.

footflaps

On a random aside, I’ve found the Deadlift equivalent Core exercise: Stall bar leg raises. Absolutely brutal (for me). Require as much psyching up and effort as deadlifts…

My current programming is asking for 5 sets of 5 reps with a 10 second lower…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wSIIdq-dRM[/video]

Followed by the same in reverse…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVBf0Ija2T4[/video]

NB I have some way to go to being anywhere near as smooth as the guys in the videos….

sadexpunk

yes, hence my disclaimer that i hadnt read your goals 🙂 footflaps ^^^ is correct.

as for the not using straps as it would mask grip weakness, again that depends on your goal. if its to develop grip strength then id agree. but if performing the DL is because its a good compound exercise and you want to strengthen core/back/legs etc all at the same time, then i dont agree as you would be holding back potential in those areas just cos your grip isnt strong enough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Stall bar leg raises

That looks like fun, might be an alternative if I don’t have access to weights.

I’m of the opinion that since I am climbing steep hills on the MTB that replaces or improves on doing lots of reps of lighter weight in the gym. So I use the gym for strength. DLs seem to give my cycling a bit of pop, purely subjectively.

BillOddie

For Max strength 1-5
    For Max hypertrophy 8-12

Yeah, kinda. No harm in growing some GO muscles rather than SHOW muscles.
    1-3 Reps = CNS adaptation
    4-7 = Myofibrillar Hypertrophy (GO)
    8-12 = Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy (SHOW)

I too have had my best results on big lifts with 3-4 warm up sets then 5×5 with linear progression.
    When linear progression stalls (for me it was at 2xBW for Deadlift and 1.5xBW for Squat) then it’s time to get a bit cleverer with periodisation.

This explains it very well indeed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1wTdcwi40M

may be teaching granny to suck eggs but make sure you breathe correctly too, exhale on the grunt part of the lift.

Better off maintaining thoracic pressure by holding a nice big breath through out the movement rather than losing that pressure and support of your thorax at precisely the moment you will need it the most.

With regards to using straps, I would avoid them if at all possible.
    I use double overhand until I get to about 130kg on the DL then switch to mixed grip.

You’re using chalk right?

My elbows were a bit jacked up I found lots of forearm stretching, lacrosse ball massage and ceasing (for a couple of months) exercises that isolated the elbow joint (curls, pressdowns) sorted it. The use of wrist wraps on HEAVY pressing movements seems to have prevented a re-occurrence.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok fair enough. I’ve never felt myself in a position to put that many hours in – at least, not since I’ve had the motivation to even think about it.

And this is the issue though. UNfortunately no one is going to get near the front of any type of athletic race unless you can commit many hours.

I have given up on trying to get fit to do bike racing. You are up against people who can spend many hours out riding, which unfortunately I just do not have.

You could try running? It still takes lots of commitment but I reckon its a least a 2:1 maybe 3:1 ratio of time v reward compared to cycling.

Duffer
    Free Member

You’re using chalk right?

No, I’ve never used chalk. I struggle keeping my fingers closed, rather than the bar slipping. Do you find chalk helps?

sadexpunk

chalk definitely helps. i use liquid chalk, not as messy/dusty 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

When linear progression stalls (for me it was at 2xBW for Deadlift and 1.5xBW for Squat)

I’ll be happy to plateau there. I have no desire to be as good as I could be in the gym – bike is priority.

Chalk – good idea.. Probably have some left over from climbing 🙂

You could try running?

I do yes – I hate it, but I do it. As said earlier in the thread, squatting seems to have caused some kind of muscle imbalance that hurts my ITBS. However I rollered the crap out of it the other day which helped a lot.

UNfortunately no one is going to get near the front of any type of athletic race unless you can commit many hours.

You’re right. This is about getting as good as I can given the hours I have available.

BillOddie

No, I’ve never used chalk. I struggle keeping my fingers closed, rather than the bar slipping. Do you find chalk helps?

Chalk helps massively. The bar doesn’t slip so much as it rolls, the chalk gives more friction at the heel of the hand stopping the rotation.

tod456
    Free Member

Hi, long time listener first time caller…. this seams like a good place to ask questions about weights work outs advice.

So i started a lunchtime (30 mins) gym work out 10 weeks ago with the aim to lose a few kg, which I’ve now done via cardio and watching what i eat.

now I’ve thrown in a few leg exercises that i got from this tread, step up to a box (and some time jump up) and wights lunges. Surprised my self and I’ve enjoyed this, so what next ??

Bit of back ground

i only have 30 mins * 4 days a week. Being doing 20-25 reps (3 ish sets) as that seamed more appropriate to help with cycling or is that completely wrong ?

Thinking of 1 day each on legs, back and front, then last day on legs again.
    Any recommendation for fun back and front exersies?

I like the look of footflap’s gymnasticbodies is there a free source for amateur? I will try the “Stall bar leg raises” tomorrow but it looks a bit advanced for a amateur!!

thanks for any help.

footflaps

I like the look of footflap’s gymnasticbodies is there a free source for amateur?

Reddit has a recommended routine, with good support via their forum. Try that…

Bodyweight fitness forum

Recommended Routine

They encourage people to ask Qs, post videos for form checks etc.

Surprised my self and I’ve enjoyed this, so what next ??

A basic all body strength routine should have at least four elements:
    – Push
    – Pull
    – Hinge
    – Squat

and the maybe two more
    – Loaded carry
    – Lunge

If you have a free weight exercise which covers each of the 4-6 bases, you’re covering most of the key areas.

Eg Press ups, Ring rows, Deadlift, Back squat, dumbbell farmers walk and barbell lunge would do for starters.

As for reps, if you want to get bigger sets of 8-12, if you just want a good strength base, 5×5 is a very popular choice.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘How's this gym workout for weight loss?’ is closed to new replies.