• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How's Grizedale at the mo?
  • grum
    Free Member

Any bits to avoid, trees down etc? Got a spare day this week and thinking of some Parkamoor action.

Ta.

craig5

It’s wicked, only encountered one tree down. Can’t remember what the section was called, heading down to consistion I think. Some very deep mud there to. Big 3 section decent down to the parking just out of town was a clean run. I will get master Watson on the case, I have trouble remembering where I live. So can’t be much help. The trails round there are amazing. Looking at doing Sticks pass or ullswater Wednesday depending on the weather.

Pridds

That’s the top section of Lawsons Park.

bullroar
    Free Member

Was there yesterday, despite the rain it was good value. First bit of Lawsons Park descent was a bit muddy but the rest of it a hoot, if a bit damp.

There was a closure that included the Black Push Up, The Black and The Riverbed routes.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Helloooo and good evening. Masterwatson reporting for duty!

The tree down that Craig is referring to is Lawson’s Park top bit. We did Breasty Haw up and over from Satterthwaite, up to and down the Fox DH, which was a tad soggy in places, round and up the Tarmac climb to moor top, on to Lawson’s Park (we were going to do Rocky River Bed, but it was closed for forestry workings) which had one tree down, it’s hoppable, but I chickened out (at the front of the train causing domino effect), then up and round to the Satterthwaite 3. I can’t say that it is dry, but it doesn’t impact on the flow of the trail unless a soggy shoe dampens your rhythm!

In the wet, Grizedale is one of the best places to go, the rocky bridleways are perfect for standing up to the wet conditions of late. Tomorrow us looking to be a good day though, if you’re in the lakes, I would push on to higher ground!

Like Craig said earlier, if the weather is right, we’re on for sticks pass on Wednesday. Aim high, and if the weather is shit, pick a good route around Grizedale to fall back on!

davewalsh
    Free Member

Anyone know what state the bridleway from Hazelseat to Low Dale Park is in? I was up there at Christmas 2012 and the trail was closed as it looked like they had had a major blow-down and the forestry commission were trying to clear it up. Have they damaged the trail underneath?

grum
    Free Member

Thanks again. Weather looks reasonable tomorrow but isn’t it still pretty snowy higher up? Met Office mountain weather report suggests so.

martinhutch

Anyone know what state the bridleway from Hazelseat to Low Dale Park is in?

I’m sure I’ve ridden that since the date you mentioned – is that the one which goes through a few deer gates? I just remember it being very boggy if so.

grum
    Free Member

Bump.

brumsgrove
    Free Member

There will be Rally event on in Grizedale, this weekend 8th 9th March I think, so a number of trails will be closed to mtbs

tomaso
    Free Member

Parkamoor to Satterthwaite all clear. The DH from Carton Crag has a few trees down, as do plenty of the off piste rabbit tracks.

crazy-legs

Thanks again. Weather looks reasonable tomorrow but isn’t it still pretty snowy higher up? Met Office mountain weather report suggests so.

There was a dusting of snow on the summit of the Langdales today but Grizedale was all clear. I was mostly on the rockier trails and fire roads but all fine there – few puddles in places. Some of the natural trails off to the sides looked a bit muddy but I didn’t really use them, just cut across the forest the quickest way.

Oh and the cafe at Grizedale visitor centre is closed until 17th March.

grum
    Free Member

Top info chaps! 🙂

Had a superb ride today – lots of puddles about but all riding great. Went up from Blind Lane car park to Breasty Haw and down the steep side away from Satterthwaite. Back up through the deer gates and round to Moor Top. Little bit of NFT then up the hill towards Lawson Park but cutting back left down the BW towards the bottom of the black (awesome!).

I foolishly didn’t heed the warnings and went up the BW next to the black – it’s been absolutely mullered by forestry machines. Thick gloopy mud in huge ruts all over it – pushing up it was a struggle. From there over towards Parkamoor but not going right out there – took the BW that crosses the fire road twice back down to Satterthwaite (woo!).

Got in a sneaky half of Loweswater Gold, then up through Satterthwaite and back down BWs to Blind Lane. Belting day – loved it!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How's Grizedale at the mo?’ is closed to new replies.