Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Howies: back on form
  • barn
    Free Member

Their new bib shorts are totally brilliant.
    Circular knit jobbies here.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I need some new bibs in that ballpack price range – how brilliant are we talking here?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks like Howies are back in fashion!

BoardinBob

The human body has no seams

My scrotum suggests otherwise

wwaswas

Mines got a crack in it.

gazc
    Free Member

i’ve got a few folds

IA

Not a phrase you often get to use/see.

djglover
    Free Member

I just treated myself to the Ventile Jacket.

It is superb!

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve got two, one on my thumb another on my ankle, they’re manmade though.

@ Barn have you bought/worn them or you just going by the description. I’m tempted but they’re either small/medium or large/xl. So they might not fit well on me.

binners

IA – Member

Not a phrase you often get to use/see.

Well not previously, but now its been mentioned I’m going to see where I can shoe-horn it into conversations

barn
    Free Member

@ eyerideit – I bought the s/m (am 6ft, 31″ waist, skinny ‘road’ build) and the fit is great.

@ theflatboy – we are talking seriously good (was given bibs used by a Pro-Team because a mate worked for the sponsor and these are as good/better in some ways).

mt
    Free Member

I have three seams on one leg (Gamma Nail entries).

Howies will be back on form when they get back to doing merino underpants. I’m wearing those I have out and its not going to look good if I am rushed to hospital.

johnj2000
    Free Member

How re they for short sturdy types? Waist wise I normally go large but if they make the large for tall not fat then I am screwed. Thoughts?

jamj1974

My ventile jacket from them was great – lasted really well, bought it years ago.

prettygreenparrot

I loved my 2 Pilot Ventile jackets from them. Both totally wore out because I used them almost every day. Just the right balance of everything those jackets. The closest thing I’ve seen since is this one.

The new one? It looks a bit too technical but it is fantastic to see that they’re back to doing good things rather than going down the FatFace route.

Those bibs look good.

bigblackshed

I wish Howies would do XXL Tshirts. I’m an odd shape. 44″ chest but need 48″ ish to fit my shoulders across my back. XL just looks like it’s about to rip open like The Hulk.

That goes for most active clothing brands TBH.

honourablegeorge

bigblackshed – Member

I wish Howies would do XXL Tshirts. I’m an odd shape. 44″ chest but need 48″ ish to fit my shoulders across my back. XL just looks like it’s about to rip open like The Hulk.

Have you tried taking off your rucksack?

nickc

I’m bookmarking this thread, I’m intrigued to learn what other things Boardinbob’s scrotum is going to pronounce upon

tonyd

How re they for short sturdy types? Waist wise I normally go large but if they make the large for tall not fat then I am screwed. Thoughts?

My experience with Howies kit is limited to a 5ish year old merino base layer, but I’m of the short sturdy type and while it’s OK I think it was meant for someone taller and skinnier than me. For that reason I’ve not bought any more Howies.

tang
    Free Member

I will be having a looksie when I next visit the shop in May (MIL lives round the corner). My very old long sleeve high collar zip riding top is really on its last legs, fits me so well and been great on many a ride.

rOcKeTdOg

U all fanbois or is it not over priced run of the mill stuff anymore? Poor mans Rapha?

househusband

Howies will be back on form when they get back to doing merino underpants.

Have a look at Finisterre for merino pants.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

U all fanbois or is it not over priced run of the mill stuff anymore? Poor mans Rapha?

£60 for bibs doesn’t seem too bad to me? Isn’t that about endura/altura price?

russianbob
    Free Member

Have to say Finisterre merino pants wear out A LOT quicker than the original howies ribbed ones. A LOT quicker, got through my pairs in well under 6 months.

eyerideit
    Free Member

You’re right, Howies is rubbish. What do you suggest we all wear?

ashfanman
    Free Member

To be fair, Howies pricing did get a bit out of hand over the past 4-5 years, but I think that had something to do with them being bought by Timberland? They’re back on their own now and things seem to have improved as a result.

The new cycling stuff looks good (also tempted by the bibs) and certainly not overpriced. £49 for a jersey, £59 for bibs – way below the likes of Assos, Rapha, Castelli, etc, and strikes me as pretty reasonable, if the quality is as good as people are saying.

rOcKeTdOg

You’re right, Howies is rubbish. What do you suggest we all wear?

a jacket that costs less than £200?

theflatboy
    Free Member

ok, cheers barn. I’m very tempted to give these a go, despite being on the verge of pressing the button on some dhbs.

decisions decisions…

eyerideit
    Free Member

Agree the Jackets a a bit pricey but the Shorts and jerseys are priced well, they’re no more expensive than Lusso or DHb

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

good to see – used to like howies but had a couple of bad experiences with kit in recent years and stopped looking at them. Good to hear they may be back on form

Frankers
    Free Member

I bought one if the long sleeve jerseys and have worn it for 6 rides now

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Howies: back on form’ is closed to new replies.