Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Howgills….. any good?
  • scary_carey
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about straying from my usual haunts in the lakes and heading over to the Howgills. Looking at the maps (and what I’ve read) the best trails seem to be the Calf & Bowerdale Beck. Does anyone have any opinions on White Fell and Bram Rigg?Is it going to be a bog fest this time of year?

boxelder

Great, but yes – bogfest.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Good for big non techy days out but yes, it’ll be hard going through the bogs at the minute.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    defaultslipper
    Free Member

Was out on the Howgills last week, climb was wet and soft, but okay. Descent off the Calf was a boggy descent at the bottom, would definitely be good in the dry. The other descent (i.e. into Sedburgh from Ravenstonedale and Adamthwaite was also pretty wet, a serious bit of trail subsidance at one point would have been the MTB equivalent of falling down a manhole cover. Not sure what bit it was called but down a rocky gully- appeared to be a stream when we rode it!

Great scenery but take your climbing legs 😀

snowpaul
    Free Member

Its a great proper day out style of riding – the calf is a big old slog… the descent to ravenstonedale is ace – best for the summer or when frozen !

its good and under rated – easier riding tech wise vs lakes but still epic in feel

paul

footflaps

Nice trails when it’s dry..

’The Calf’, Howgills by brf, on Flickr

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Used to do a lot of riding over there (back in the late 80’s – early 90’s). Agree with the above, it’s good and fun (especially on a bike of those days – canti breaks don’t cut it on those long and very fast descents!) but is an utter bogfest in the wet.

Pook

Lovely place

[video]http://vimeo.com/5092093[/video]

[video]http://vimeo.com/27138564[/video]

Trekster
    Pook

just above patterdale/glenridding on the eastern side of the valley, just south of ullswater.

I’ll get you a reference in a bit.

Pook

edit: from patterdale, go to bridgend then up to boredale hause, bw south east, then over beda fell and down bannerdale to sandwick, then back round ullswater side to patterdale.

short but techy

tomaso
    Free Member

Yes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Howgills….. any good?’ is closed to new replies.