Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Howdens square edge counter top.
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

I have a customer who wants to use this type of work surface from howdens. It’s 38 mm square edge. I’m not familiar with the product so I’m looking for anyone who’s fitted or used this stuff as I’m worried that it will wick moisture on the underside edge and swell.
    What I’m saying is, it doesn’t look like its made in a way that will prevent this and I’d rather not fit it if I’m gonna get called back in a year because it’s swollen and delaminating near the sink.

footflaps

Seal the underside with PVA glue?

gears_suck
    Free Member

PVA glue is water soluble.

footflaps

Not once it dries….

slimraybob
    Free Member

I’ve fitted a few of these worktops this year and haven’t had any problems so far.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve also fitted quite few and no issues. I guess it’s down to how the customers look after it mainly. Is it the one with the encapsulated ends? If so they can be a bit of a PITA to fit/trim but nothing to difficult to deal with.

singlecrack
    Free Member

No different than any other formica worktop….

gears_suck
    Free Member

singlecrack – Member
    No different than any other formica worktop….

Can you clarify your comment please because standard work tops have a rolled edge which wraps underneath the surface and square edge finishes flush with the bottom edge. At least howdens do. That’s not the same as far as I can see. And that is the point on the work top I’m concerned with. Drips that aren’t wiped away could potentially wick into the chipboard between it and the Formica face.? Drips on a standard rolled edge will sit there until dry if not wiped away.

bokonon
    Free Member

Our kitchen has this very worktop.

It’s been in just over 1 year, the bottom is slightly rougher round the sink which I assume is due to water ingress – it’s not super noticeable straight away, but it is there. We (me and Father in Law) fitted it, so I’m not going to go running back to the builder, and I don’t think that if I was generally aware of that sort of thing then I wouldn’t have seen it – my wife hasn’t noticed it yet, and she’s really fussy.

takisawa2

Can’t you just varnish the underside first ?

The back edges & sink inset on mine must have 5 or 6 thick coats of it.
    It’s not square edged though.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Takisawa2 it’s common/good practice to seal the edges of cuts for inset sinks and hobs. Most fitters use silicone to do this because it helps to prevent spills from soaking into core material. I’ve not seen varnish used but I suppose it’ll do a similar job!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Warn the customer then let them decide.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

They chip a lot more easily, I’ve replaced 2 sets because of chips on the edges. Not sure what brand they were as i didn’t fit the originals

kimbers

Ive got one had for nearly a year no swelling yet, hob sink etc was sealed with silicone stuff, seems fine

singlecrack
    Free Member

All the ones I’ve fitted have either had the formica roll back around for 20mm or so …the ones that didn’t had the usual water resistant coating on the bottom . wouldnt have thought they would sell something they would have lots of comebacks on …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Howdens square edge counter top.’ is closed to new replies.