Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • How would you become Scottish?
  • zippykona

Thinking long term here. I’m sure Scotland will go independent and rejoin the eu.
    What should I do now to get a passport?
    Is having property in Scotland and paying council tax enough?
    If 10 people clubbed together and bought the cheapest flat in Scotland , splitting the bills but not living there would they all be eligible for a passport?

GrahamS

Is having property in Scotland and paying council tax enough?

I doubt it. Rules for independent Scottish citizenship obviously don’t exist (yet), because Scotland isn’t independent. But I think most countries with such rules require you to be actually resident in the country for a set period of time before you can apply for citizenship.

e.g. UK requires a minimum of five years residency: https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship

zippykona

If bills are being paid how do they know you are not resident?

matt_outandabout

I’m sure Scotland will go independent and rejoin the eu.

Seeing as we cannot decide what is happening tomorrow, let alone at the end of next month, I think that is a long game prediction, on some very shaky fears about the future.

If you want the benefits of Scotland (now and any changes in the future) then you better contribute as a resident first, not landed gentry. Scotland already has issues like that. 😉

scaredypants

Imagine the citizenship test !
    “in the local vernacular, how would you discourage a Glaswegian ne’er-do-well from loitering in the region of your locked-up bicycle?”

mickmcd
    Free Member

Why go to Scotland some dude mayor in Italy will give you a house for a quid….avoid the mess of the uk and its history full stop

tjagain

You cannot become scottish. You can become one of the people of Scotland / a Scottish resident. ( pedantic point) Making it your home is the real answer. Living here is how you do it. This is how EU nationals and others with right to remain were able to vote in the Scottish referendum and in Scottish elections.

Its unclear how this would work in an independent Scotland but being a Scottish citizen, being a eu citizen, having the right to live here if neither of the above and actually living here should do

A holiday home would not be enough I think

tjagain

Or – a “see you jimmy hat”, a scotland rugby shirt, kilt and a pair of tacketty boots should do. We might reduce the requirements a little if you are sufficiently ginger

Or there is the “Doddy Weir” method – a lurid tartan suit.

xora

Diet of deep friend haggis and bru!

matt_outandabout

Imagine the citizenship test !

Define the following:

1. Tapps aff
    2. Sleekit
    3. Scunner
    4. Tablet
    5. Margaret Thatcher
    6. Ma heid is mince

What is your weekly unit intake of:
    1. mince and tatties
    2. Ginger
    3. Alcoholic beveridges

(etc)

martinhutch

Blood mmol/l >10
    BAC >.1

matt_outandabout

Or there is the “Doddy Weir” method – a lurid tartan suit.

Only if worn for every work occasion for a year – evidence needed…

hols2
    Free Member

How would you become Scottish?

“Nobody thought Mel Gibson could play a Scot but look at him now! Alcoholic and a racist!” – Frankie Boyle

redmex
    Free Member

Know what glaekit means, wear baffies etc without googlin

duckman

Wonder how Scotland becoming an independent country(if) would work if we stayed in the EU. Lots of folk from Scotland heading across the border to England for cheap dentistry, suits and tequila, sorry; gin?

Still a long shot though.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

We’re aw Jock Tamson’s bairns

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

How would you become Scottish?

Lose a game of tennis, just ask Andy Murray.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Errr…I would rather be living on the street than call myself Scottish ..
    Love visiting the country ..but that is just a step too far ..

mashr

If bills are being paid how do they know you are not resident?

Where are you registered to vote would be the first place to look

BobaFatt
    Free Member

You’ll need to learn how to pronounce Milngavie

Explain in less than 500 words why yi cannae shove yer Granny aff a bus?

What are the odds of a mother propelled jeely peice making contact with terra firma having been ejected from a residence 20 floors in altitude from ground zero?

What football team do you support? (this question will be asked in a geographical location chosen by the question master)

Are you English?

andytherocketeer

then after independence you’d be Scottish (and British), both out of EU, at least until accession

my money was on DUP making a huge tactical error, NI+IE reuniting, in which case NI citizens would get a free ride in to EU in a similar way that East Germany got a free ride in (although technically German reunification was in that period immediately before Maastricht Treaty, so technically they got a rubber stamp in to EEC/EC, and then Germany became EU member in 1992 since that’s the treaty founding the Union rather than Community)
    So become NI citizen, then you can be British, Irish and EU. Possibly. And have more total rights rather than less.

sweepy
    Free Member

You cannot become scottish. You can become one of the people of Scotland / a Scottish resident.

This makes me a bit uncomfortable. It’s like saying to, for example an Indian immigrant ‘You can live here, work, pay taxes, but you will never be British, always less than one of us.

I’ve lived in Scotland more than half my life, I actively chose the place, commited to it, and contribute to society through work, taxation and in many other ways.

I see myself as more Scottish than Sean Connery, who would do anything for Scotland but live there, and is just Scottish by virtue of an accident of birth.

kcr
    Free Member

This makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I think all TJ is saying is that there isn’t actually such a thing as formal Scottish citizenship at the moment, so technically no one is officially Scottish. You become a member of Scottish society by living here, which is actually a very inclusive thing. There are lots of people with non Scottish accents living in Scotland who are more Scottish than Sean Connery.

tjagain

I am perfectly happy with it as a brit of english descent who has made scotland my home. to me “scottish” is an ethnic group. “the people of Scotland” are the people who live here. So Connery is a scot, but he is no longer one of the people of scotland.

Some folk would agree with me, some would not. Its a subtle and pedantic point and quite honestly fairly irrelevant. The two terms get mixed up and used interchangably.

I would never call myself a Scot tho despite living here for 33 years.

sweepy
    Free Member

You are right, I know TJ isn’t a racist who want’s to drive me into the sea (probably). And my experience here is entirely positive, it’s a wonderful, welcoming country.

EDIT: TJ you are also right, I would never really describe myself as a Scot, and its all pretty irrelevant, to me it just feels like a way to divide us and foster a concept of ‘otherness’. Not just here but worldwide.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I would never call myself a Scot tho despite living here for 33 years

So the windrush generation can’t call themselves British then?

tjagain

“it isn’t important where you come from, what matters is where we are going together as a nation”[4]

Bashir Ahmed in a speech to the SNP confernece that got a standing ovation. This is the true face of scottish nationalism

tjagain

Rayban – british is not an ethnic group – its a nationality. anglo saxon would be the equivalent. so of course the windrush generation can call themselves british. As do I.

johnners
    Free Member

Errr…I would rather be living on the street than call myself Scottish ..

As a Scot I fully support your decision.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

So if Scotland, Wales and NI left – they couldn’t call themselves English?

sweepy
    Free Member

Dirty racist that I am, I just assumed that you were a Scot TJ 🙂

kcr
    Free Member

So the windrush generation can’t call themselves British then?

Of course they can.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Errr…I would rather be living on the street than call myself Scottish

Whit a bawbag.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m sure Scotland will go independent and rejoin the eu.

You are a bit paranoid aren’t you.

🤷‍♂️

redmex
    Free Member

Whats a bawbag?

redmex
    Free Member

Is it attached to your willy on the east coast or boaby on the west

matt_outandabout

Whats a bawbag?

I would post a picture, but would get banned.

Drac

sarawak
    Free Member

Scotland would have been independant by now if the English had been allowed to take part in IndyRef.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘How would you become Scottish?’ is closed to new replies.