Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How viable is it to repair…
  • robbo1234biking

the side of a vehicle. A truck hit my car yesterday between the fuel filler flap and rear light cluster. The whole of that area of the side must of moved in about 200mm exposing the wheel. The bumper is all gone and the rear door wont open as the door shut is knackered (didnt damage the door itself). IT is a year old Mondeo with 45k on the clock. I think the panel will nee replacing but I cant see that being easy to do without removing the whole side of the car which then I dont think will be viable

Drac

Their insurance will be paying so viable unless they decide old Mondeos are worth bog all, which is true, then they’ll offer you cash.

robbo1234biking

Company car so doesnt really affect me in that way – just when I looked it isnt going to push out and the side is seam welded to the roof which cant be easy to replicate in a workshop

Drac

Company, then why care but yeah if it’s starting to effect the chassis it pushes it up to the point they just replace the car.

higthepig
    Free Member

They can cut the skin off, put the car in a jig and pull internals back to shape, then new skin over the top. Lot of work and depends on how bad the damage is.

robbo1234biking

Im guessing that would need a new re-spray as well in that case. Damage underneath might not be that bad as it tends to be a large void in that area. Pics below. You can see how much it is pushed in by how much the tyres are exposed which are 220mm wide I think.

IMG_0093 by robbo1234biking, on Flickr

IMG_0092 by robbo1234biking, on Flickr

wwaswas

That’ll polish out.

fatalbert
    Free Member

This is my girlfriends car, it was parked outside her works and some daft bint drove into the back of it. It was a write off. I used to work in Auto Body Repair and was suprised with the outcome. The fact that your car is only a year old robbo1234biking I think it will be a repair job.

jonk

Looks like there is rear suspension damage there

angryratio
    Free Member

Does the boot floor seem damaged? Wheel well area?

robbo1234biking

Perhaps a small amount but nothing major. Boot still opens ok rear door wont open. Cant see anything obvious on the suspension but does seem to have a bit more camber on it

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Replace outer panel, pull out inner panel. Lots of work, but should be repairable. Not a tricky job for a body shop.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How viable is it to repair…’ is closed to new replies.