Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • How useful is cadence and heart rate on MTB computer?
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

The 220 minus age, etc stops me doing this…

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

^^^

im aware that it’s not as accurate as getting my rhr/ mhr figures, but it’s surprisingly good at stopping me from cooking my goose.

but it does take a lot of discipline to reign in my efforts:)

ta11pau1

It doesn’t take long to do a Max HR test. It’s painful, but worth it to get a proper figure. Mine going by the 220-age should be 183 but it’s actually 178. However my resting heart rate is in the low 40’s, in fact I’ve seen it at 38/39 a few times!! Pretty sure it’s mostly genetic as my mother who’s in her 60’s and walks about 6-8 miles a day, 5 days a week has a resting HR of under 60.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whitestone
    Free Member

Using 220-age my MHR should be 161, it’s actually 180, that’s a big difference. My RHR is 48. Work out the zones using both sets of values and the 220 formula gives everything as a zone too low! Completely useless for training or judging effort.

it might be that the two values for you are very close.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If 220 – age is surprisingly good and it’s difficult to reign in efforts,  it’s *probably* miles too low.

It’s nearly 30 bpm out for me

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Interesting info reading all this and has got me thinking. I got a HRM about 25 years ago found it useful but being younger lighter fitter I had plenty of go anyway. Now I find myself shattered at the end of a week just doing short commutes. I’m  51 and about a stone overweight and trying to increase mileage and fitness. Thinking about it I tend to go as fast as I can and sometimes there’s also strong headwinds. Also tend to go for it on off road climbs, noticed that when I’m out with the wife who hates climbs and I go a lot slower I’m a lot fresher. Think I’m overdoing It, maybe time to get a HRM on again and slow things down so I’m not so shattered, but think that will take a bit of discipline. I’m sure on some of my rides I’ll be hitting max for 10 to 15mins on a few climbs, how do I avoid that otherwise I might be walking.

hopefiendboy

tagged for future ref

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How useful is cadence and heart rate on MTB computer?’ is closed to new replies.