how tough are carbon fibre bikes?

Home Forum Bike Forum how tough are carbon fibre bikes?

Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • how tough are carbon fibre bikes?
  • maxtorque

Tom_W1987
    Lapierre replaced all the carbon chainstays in their 2014 spicy and zesty with aluminium versions….due to very similar issues.

Sorry, no they didn’t. They replaced the hybrid carbon/aluminum stays on 12/13 bikes with welded aluminum ones for 14 because they couldn’t get a sufficiently robust production bond between the carbon stay tubes and the aluminium boss inserts that carry the articulation bearings. That has nothing to do with impact / bending failure midway down the stay as in this case.

Also i’d like to add: The OP suffered a failure on his carbon bike. That much we know. BUT without recreating the exact same event on an similar aluminium bike we simply don’t know if the failure would have also occurred in that case. Most data suggests that CF can be more resilient to impact damage than aluminium (because it doesn’t dent)

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Most data suggests that CF can be more resilient to impact damage than aluminium (because it doesn’t dent)

Not only that, but it’s also less likely to suffer from fatigue failure (which is what I think happened to my seatstay – it was at any rate at a weld where a guide was attached) and despite popular perception is easier to repair – if my seatstay had been carbon I’d have almost certainly got it repaired.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

To my mind this tale high lights something that has always been an issue with mountain bikes. They are expensive and quite fragile. I’ve never owned a really expensive bike. partly this is because it seems that you have top accept that at some point t will be break and be pricey to fix. I have an Al fs at the moment. It was a bargain bought lightly used. But its a liability as I would imagine any frame damage will be expensive to sort out.

I sympathise with the OP but I can see why Cube won’t honour the warranty. They warranty against defects in manufacture. This is not a defect in manufacture even if it might be a design flaw

Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘how tough are carbon fibre bikes?’ is closed to new replies.