how tough are carbon fibre bikes?

Home Forum Bike Forum how tough are carbon fibre bikes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • how tough are carbon fibre bikes?
  • Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I won’t do the usual ‘its a sticker’ thing 🙁

Have they given a reason – accident damage/rock strike or something?

loddrik

Makes mental note never to buy a Cube bike..

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

1 month!?! And they won’t warranty it? That’s incredible.
    Fight it!

[edit]Ah, it’s a 650b..

timwillows

Well I don’t know the details of how it happened, but interesting to compare to Whyte’s response on my 2009 e120 frame, which they replaced immediately

Jamie

Cube’s response is that its not a warranty issue.. need to buy a new arm. Not the kind of response I would have expected after buying a £4000 bike..

Seems a bit strange. Is this one of those ‘someones not telling the whole truth’ type things?

Edit: ENHANCE!

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

I’m no expert but that looks like impact damage to me.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

was chatting to soomeone at a race he was on his 3rd set of chainstays for his intense tracer carbon

clubber

God, yes, and have you heard about the barbs going straight to your heart!? 😯

I think that you intended to type ‘How tough are cube bikes’ as the thread title because no one would surely be silly enough to think that all carbon bikes are the same, would they?

Clubber (destroyer of many aluminium, steel and carbon frames…)

tazzymtb

looks like impact damage rather than frame failure through poor manufacture, incorrect bonding etc.

When I’ve snapped a carbon frame (twice, two different manufactures) the only that looked like that was when I dropped it at low speed into some rocks in the peak.. not a big off, just unlucky.

The other, which was a frame failure due to manufacturing fault was a much tidier fail

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

On the upside, carbon is generally quite good at being repaired. Might be cheaper than a new arm.

Soooo glad i didn’t buy one of these a month ago. Impact or not you should at least get one at cost!

mrmo

Impact or not you should at least get one at cost!

and the OP hasn’t said how much, just that he is expected to buy a new swing arm. Which with what looks like impact damage seems fair to me.

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

rock strike?

What’s the weird little box cable tied to the chainstay?

sobriety

rock strike?

That’s what it looks like as there doesn’t seem to be any scuffing to denote an off from what I can see. Shirley a mountain bike should be designed with rock strokes in mind, as the last time I checked mountains tend to be a bit rocky.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

What’s the weird little box cable tied to the chainstay?

Garmin pedal/wheel speed sensor.

torsoinalake

Garmin speed/cadence sensor

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

my firends aluminium jekyl has his heal imprent imbedded in it from a fall a innerleithen, the seatstay is a bit twisted and bent in but hes been riding it for a few months ever since

gavstorie

Originaly they wanted me to buy a complete frame but that has now changed……Replacement part is £270 for the lower arm only..

Cube said it’s been hit by something which has cause it to fail.. The only protection on the bike is on the downtube.. the part that has broken has no form of protector to help deflect stones kicked up from the front wheels..

In all the time I have had the bike there have been no impacts that I would have taken any notice off.. We all hear stones bouncing off our downtubes and think nothing off it.. Obviously with carbon I am going to have to take more notice..

Should have bought a Santa Cruz.. their carbon seems to be pretty tough stuff… 5.00 onwards..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&gl=GB&v=xreZdUBqpJs&nomobile=1

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

a mountain bike should be designed with rock strokes in mind

easy.. until you try to sell an 8-9lb carbon trail bike frame )

gavstorie

easy.. until you try to sell an 8-9lb carbon trail bike frame )

a thin metal or even additional carbon protector around the lower half of the arm would probably have saved it from breaking.

Guess they never thought of that when they designed it..

This bike isn’t used for racing or crazy downhill events.. It’s had a pretty easy life compared to what it supposed to be capable of…

gavstorie

double post

catvet

If you look through some of the enduro footage of the last few years there are quite a lot of chainstay, seatstay fractures on carbon framed bikes,admittedly bikes ridden hard by top racers, may be one offs not sure but even so frames knackered!!

gavstorie

If I had been riding it hard I would just put it down to experience and get on with it.. Thing is though.. It’s been pretty relaxed trail riding that I have been doing.. Nothing harsh enough that I would think it should be damaged like it is..

tonyd

the part that has broken has no form of protector to help deflect stones kicked up from the front wheels

Not sure I’d expect frame protection on a chainstay, certainly not from rock strikes off of the front wheel. That looks to me like a side-ish impact, so a rock flicked up from the front wheel and curved round the crank, pedals, and your feet (or bounced off of another rock perhaps) before hitting the bike mid chainstay with enough momentum to cause that kind of damage? You should buy a lotto ticket! 🙂

What does the inside of the chainstay look like?

In all fairness, regardless of cause I’d hope for a goodwill gesture of some kind. Is the £270 cost price?

no_eyed_deer

TBH… a neoprene chainstay protector, with a metal/plastic sheet held underneath would probably save that sort of damage in the future.

Might not look quite as pretty though.. 😉

Toasty

Still not sold on carbon frames. Owned dozens of aluminium bikes, never broken one, owned 2 carbon bikes, cracked both. You generally chuck an extra £1k cash about a pound of weight savings, seems to be a rubbish trade off imo.

Premier Icon DirtyLyle
    Subscriber

I fell 20 feet onto rocks down a ravine in Morocco on my carbon Tallboy. It wasn’t even scratched. I, on the other hand, was fecked.

plyphon

Did you buy on a credit card?

Time to send in the heavies.

Toasty

I, on the other hand, was fecked.

Ah, but you’re carbon based too 😛

Jamie

I fell 20 feet onto rocks down a ravine in Morocco on my carbon Tallboy. It wasn’t even scratched. I, on the other hand, was fecked.

DirtyLyle, earlier.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baOsltOKtEU[/video]

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

Jamie – Member
    DirtyLyle, earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir97936_CYo

Like the way the guy asks, “Did you film it?”

Never mind the slight issue of their mate falling down a cliff!!! 😯

gavstorie

not very apparently.. This is my 1 month old Cube Super Stereo 160..

No dramas or youtube worthy moments in its short lifespan but the carbon lower suspension arm has failed..

Cube’s response is that its not a warranty issue.. need to buy a new arm. Not the kind of response I would have expected after buying a £4000 bike..

gavstorie

Not sure I’d expect frame protection on a chainstay, certainly not from rock strikes off of the front wheel. That looks to me like a side-ish impact, so a rock flicked up from the front wheel and curved round the crank, pedals, and your feet (or bounced off of another rock perhaps) before hitting the bike mid chainstay with enough momentum to cause that kind of damage? You should buy a lotto ticket!
    What does the inside of the chainstay look like?

In all fairness, regardless of cause I’d hope for a goodwill gesture of some kind. Is the £270 cost price?

The inside is still whole.. its only the other 3 sides that are split..

I was thinking I might use some of the insulation that plumbers use on pipes… the foam stuff..

I might just do the whole bike as I’m not 100% convinced that it was a fluke..

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

There was a ti frame on here a while back, a local rider dented and actually pierced a ti DT, from a bit of flint flicked up by his front wheel. A rigid 29er in the chilterns – hardly heavy use riding.

You can’t protect a frame from every impact or crash outcome. Sometimes you’re just really unlucky, like this one by the look of it. Seen same kind of written-off stay on an Al susser a few years ago – very low speed wobble onto some rocks. Dented a nice steel frame’s seat stay hitting a sticky-out rock myself, no big crash needed. Sht happens..

Jamie

I was thinking I might use some of the insulation that plumbers use on pipes… the foam stuff..

Jamie

Oh glitchy bump….how much I’ve missed you!

Must admit, when that Cube came out and they talked about it weighing 26lbs or so I thought “Two to three pounds lighter than most Carbon Mojos/Nomads, but with bigger wheels….. must be fragile”

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

Do you use a bike rack to transport it?

gavstorie

Must admit, when that Cube came out and they talked about it weighing 26lbs or so I thought “Two to three pounds lighter than most Carbon Mojos/Nomads, but with bigger wheels….. must be fragile”

I am beginning to think that myself.. 🙁

The sad thing it…. its a fantastic bike.. I feels perfect on the trails and goes uphill like a train..

Not much use if it breaks like a toothpick

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘how tough are carbon fibre bikes?’ is closed to new replies.