Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • how to wash “functional sports wear” to stop it smelling…?!
  • alp_girl
    Free Member

I know, I know, ladies/girls just “glow” etc, but it still makes my bike clothes smell unpleasant 😳

I wash them with a non-bio washing powder/gel/liquid, but especially my absolute favourite top (Gore Phantom) still has a faint whiff when I wear it again freshly washed 🙁

Anyone got the ultimate tip how to make it smell nice again??

BigDummy
    Free Member

Lynx Africa body spray. 8)

alp_girl
    Free Member

hmmm – not sure I want lots of women to throw themselves at me and take their clothes off when I ride past… on the other hand, any men riding with me might enjoy that, I see where you’re coming from 😆

matt_outandabout

Anyone got the ultimate tip how to make it smell nice again??

FWIW, I have never had a ‘plastic’ baselayer that did not get a faint whiff about it… 🙁

Merino was my answer, and even mrs_oab has commented that post ride / camping trip I don’t whiff… 8)

D0NK

Biological washing powder can help but once an item gets the ‘nasty niff’ it needs chucking, even if it smells clean when you put it on its starts to hum after an hour or so of even light excercise.

To prevent/delay the niff always wash you clothes as soon as possible, if you can’t get to a washer make sure you dry them asap, chucking them in a plastic bag for more than a couple of hours is very bad.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

not sure I want lots of women to throw themselves at me and take their clothes off when I ride past

if only it were that simple! (Simon drifts off into pervvy reverie)

2nd merino baselayer (baaaaaaaaaaaaah!)

alp_girl
    Free Member

matt, I agree, the Merino ones I’ve got are excellent, they never smell!!

Guess I’ll just have to live with the “man made” ones going smelly…

neil853
    Free Member

there’s a solution in last months MBR, involves vinegar and something else. its in the readers section i think?

alp_girl
    Free Member

even if it smells clean when you put it on its starts to hum after an hour or so of even light excercise.

exactly, that’s what is so annoying 😐

uplink
    Free Member

Stop all this 40ºC nonsense

alp_girl
    Free Member

SFB,

if only it were that simple! (Simon drifts off into pervvy reverie)
    2nd merino baselayer (baaaaaaaaaaaaah!)

you including the sheep in your pervy reverie :lol:?

Neil,

there’s a solution in last months MBR, involves vinegar and something else. its in the readers section i think?

Interesting, I tried vinegar in the rinse cycle years ago but found it just made the clothes smell even worse (and the washing machine for the next 3 washes :roll:) Maybe the “something else” is the key to using vinegar…

domino

Eeek, you’ve just made me remember I have some lycra in a bag that needs washing 🙁

alp_girl
    Free Member

uplink,

wash it hotter? won’t it shrink ;-)??

uplink
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t, but then again – I don’t actually do any washing or even know which one is the washer & which one is the dryer 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you including the sheep in your pervy reverie ?

not at the time, the “baaah” referred to the merinos, but now you come to mention it…

I have some lycra in a bag that needs washing

MINGMINGMINGMINGMINGMINGMINGMINGMINGMINGMING 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

Try soaking it in Bio occasionally. I have to wash all mine in non-bio though or I get rashes in sweaty places…..

40mpg

I give mine a soak in some diluted milton fluid every couple of months. You smell like a swimming pool first ride, then its ok for a while.

matt_outandabout

If you think that base layers cause problems with odour, try the wetboots I wore every day for 6 months of the year once…

grahamh
    Free Member

having to wash my kit in a non-bio and at 30 doesn’t seem to kill the
    bacteria that causes the smell. But I have found that adding
    a small amount of disinfectant in the fabric softener draw helps.
    (only a small amount! unless you like to smell like a hospital)

geoffj

Dry them outside in the sun. The UV kills the bacteria which causes the smell.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I think I read that man-made fibres are so perfectly smooth that your honking smell particles just lurvvvve to stick to em.

alp_girl
    Free Member

thanks for the Milton fluid suggestion, I’ll give it a go – at least I’ll smell the way my Camelbak tastes then 😀

druidh,
    soaking in bio also sounds good, might try that next…

geoff,
    I do dry them outside, unfortunately the sun doesn’t always co-operate 😉

david_r
    Free Member

Dry them outside in the sun. The UV kills the bacteria which causes the smell.

I left a load of sweaty commuting clothes in a bag from Wednesdays ride at work. Chucked them all in my car yesterday at work and then headed out in the car with my boss. Later in the day we returned to the car that had been ‘cooking’ in the sun all day. The smell was weapons grade foul. I think my boss actually gipped!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I have several synthetic tops that say wash at 40. They gradually became unwareable due to smell retention. So having nothing much to loose, I stuck them in the wash at 60 each time. Problem solved. No sign of damage to the clothes. They are all made of polyester or polypropelene. Its that or chuck them out…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m washing my stuff at 15°C now – I wonder how that’s going to work long term ?

alp_girl
    Free Member

midnighthour,
    that sounds great – I think I’ll try that on some of my old Helly Hansen ones. Not sure if the Gore top with “Windstopper” material will mind? Maybe I should really just try it and ask for a new one for my birthday if it goes wrong 😛

with all these tips I’ll be the nicest smelling mountain biker on the hills soon 😉

domino

Bleurgh – hit the ‘extra dirty’ button on the washing machine to see if that will work. Luckily the socks smelled worse that the top. I might also be trying the above tips if that doen’t work. It was my fave jersey too 🙁

traildog
    Free Member

I have to wash my stuff at a higher temp every so often. I have the same problem with a phantom jacket and while it’s a great top, it does start to smell quite quickly. The higher temp seems to sort out the problem, but also hang it out on the line helps also.

Washing the clothes straight after exercise helps prevent the nasty smell in the first place.

woffle
    Free Member

I find letting my stuff dry naturally after washing seems to help. It either goes on the line or on the airer in the bathroom for 12 hours. The man-made stuff dries quicker than the merino and thus far my soft-shell or jerseys haven’t started to pong, even after a winter of heavy usage.

If you’ve got something really wiffy that you want to save then apparently the best thing to do is to stick it on a hanger and then put it up in the attic for 3 to 4 weeks – somewhere dry and cool where it can air. This comes from a mate who sells very expensive selvedge denim. People buy jeans and then don’t wash them for 4-6 months – naturally they tend to get a bit stinky. It’s what he tells his customers – apparently it works but never tried it myself.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I throw everything in the bath and leave it to soak for two or three hours with some washing powder rubbed in for good measure. For really stinky things like gloves and kneepads I give them a good dollop of shower gel and rub the vigorously for a few minutes then repeat. Works well and they smell nice afterwards.

keavo
    Free Member

replace your man made fabrics with wool and your soft shell stuff with seperate outer shells. not very helpful, but thats what i have done/am doing and the smells are thing of the past.

juan
    Free Member

I don’t know if I should be happy that mine do not stink even after 5 hours of mtb in the south of France, or if it’s rather humiliating that a girl smells more manly that I do…

So I can’t really help you I am afraid 🙁

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Maybe your sense of smell is messed up and unbeknownst to you you really stink .

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

DYLON do some anti-bacterial stuff you can add to your wash, that kills off the bugs & odours ‘even at 30degrees’. I bought some at one of our local supermarkets, check yours over.
    It worked fine on a t-shirt & fleece I had that were whiffy even after recent regular washing.

bluebird
    Free Member

UV is good for killing bacteria – hang it (inside out to prevent fading) on your washing line in sunlight. I;ve also heard soaking in a mild TCP solution can help.

Also, You shouldn’t use fabric conditioner with performace fabrics – tends to screw up the breathability/moisture tranfer.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

milton is just pre diluted bleach, I wouldn’t use it on clothes unless you were prepared for colour fade.

I’ve had good results de-stinking climbing shoes and harnesses by putting a capful of dettol in the washing machine with them even at 30 degrees.

MarginWalker
    Free Member

I was in the same boat as Midnighthour. 2 gore phantom tops used daily for commuting were pretty honking. Stuck them in the was at 60 degrees in a nothing to lose fashion and it defo helped (without shrinkage too). I now wash all my gear at 60 every 3rd or 4th wash and avoid putting used sweaty tops directly onto radiators as I found this ‘sealed’ the smelly stuff in. The tops still have a whiff obviously but I’m nowhere near as paranoid as before.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Odd, my synthetic stuff hardly smells, even the gear I commute in daily. Hang it out to dry. They retain a bit of odour, but its only noticeable if you scrunch it up and jam your face in it.

uplink
    Free Member

See – I told you

Stop all this 40ºC nonsense

😀

juan
    Free Member

but its only noticeable if you scrunch it up and jam your face in it.

Mine don’t even do that should I be worried?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘how to wash “functional sports wear” to stop it smelling…?!’ is closed to new replies.