Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How to tell if a FOX FIT cartridge bladder has failed?
  • strike
    Free Member

Any ways to tell for certain?

A friend has a pair of 2006 36 VAN RC2 forks (no lok-out). They were service 2 years ago (with new dust seals and a bladder fitted) but have had very little use since then, however, he’s noticed alot of oil appearing on the damper-side stanchion – just like before when the bladder had failed.

greeble
    Free Member

they’re not fit if they were 2006.
    if the bladder has failed then you’re going to get no rebound damping and the forks will rebound super fast.

secondly you had them serviced two years ago and none since!!!! wtf!

oil on the stantion indicates worn out seal.

strike
    Free Member

100% FIT cartridge installed!

And also VERY minimal use in the 2 years since they were serviced. Certainly not enough use for a top seal to wear out.

greeble
    Free Member

the seal has failed end of.
    ok with the 100% thing !!!!
    2006 didnt have them

wwaswas

was the FIT cartidge installed aftermarket?

greeble
    Free Member

where is the red rebound adjuster?

njee20
    Free Member

They were service 2 years ago (with new dust seals and a bladder fitted)

The clues are there people…

Sounds iffy, doesn’t matter how much he’s used them he won’t have any recourse after 2 years frankly!

wwaswas

I never read the OP, just pile into the row after it’s started.

strike
    Free Member

It’s a 2006 model 36 VAN RC2 <UNMODIFIED> – perhaps not branded up as FIT but certainly follows the pattern of the FIT cartridges ie it’s NOT open bath, and uses a cartridge-type damper with a rubber bladder.

“The clues are there people…

Sounds iffy, doesn’t matter how much he’s used them he won’t have any recourse after 2 years frankly! “

Odd statement that – not asking for recourse, just simply asking what the signs of a failed bladder are and how to tell for certain. And also the fact that (to me) it’s odd that (if) the bladder has failed, why it has done with so little use.

I’m sure someone such as Loco can come along with a sensible answer.

greeble
    Free Member

It’s a 2006 model 36 VAN RC2 <UNMODIFIED> – perhaps not branded up as FIT but certainly follows the pattern of the FIT cartridges ie it’s NOT open bath, and uses a cartridge-type damper with a rubber bladder.

its not fit then. thats just a standard fox rc2 cartridge.
    the FIT damper has the bladder ontop of the fork as opposed to the lower of the fork.
    The rebound damper is on the bottom and compression ontop.
    there are a load of internal differences too.

just simply asking what the signs of a failed bladder are and how to tell for certain.

you’ll have almost zero rebound damping. the fork will make a squelshing sound as you compress the fork due to the oil being cavitated.

alot of oil on the stanstion is a seal failure

strike
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s exactly what I wanted know ie symptons of faliure

greeble
    Free Member

thats EXACTLY what I told you in the 1st post!

strike
    Free Member

That was a genuine ‘thanks’ with no sarcasm intended.

Plus your statement-

“secondly you had them serviced two years ago and none since!!!! wtf!”

drew my attention more than than the other content, when I’d also said they’d had so little use (ie probably 20hours in approaching 2 years) – hence myself also thinking how can a top seal fail with so little use.

LoCo
    Free Member

As Greeble said FIT cart (new or old, bladder at top or bottom) squeching (possibly) lack of damping and possible knocking.
    Any issues feel free to give me a call at the workshop.

strike
    Free Member

Thanks Loco.

If needed, do you stock the bladders? Also is it really worth paying the extra for the new SKF low friction seals, over the old (cheaper!) seals?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep bladders in stock and the SKF seals are worth the extra £5 again in stock 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How to tell if a FOX FIT cartridge bladder has failed?’ is closed to new replies.