Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • How to survive corporate life?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

How on earth do people do it working for mega corps? So much BS, such awful IT, systems and processes. Such soul crush. Suits, ties, aggrandising bosses.

It’s the first time I’ve ever worked for a mega corp and I am suffering some serious culture shock.

I only need to do six months (contractor), but at the moment six weeks feels daunting.

Please help me – what are your survival tactics? I’m tried to make sure to keep my riding up, but I had two midnight finishes in the past week, so I see that it’s going to be tough.

beej

Not all of them are like that. Find a better one.

onandon
    Free Member

You’re a contractor, go do your job and that’s it. Don’t involve yourself in the games and BS. You aren’t looking for promotion but worth looking around internally to see what else you can pick up, work wise.

I’ve been contracting for 10 years. Some company’s are massive but awesome, some aren’t. However, you’re still getting paid so any obsticals just raise with your manager.

wrecker
    Free Member

Stop caring. Seriously, just do what you’re paid to and be completely disengaged by the whole thing. Asked to do something stupid? Just do it. The shrug is a really great stress relief tool.

martinhutch

What’s worth doing is worth doing for money. If you need a friend, get a dog.

jekkyl

marijuana & cycling.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Deploy the sit-down piss

martinhutch

Deploy the sit-down piss

Preferably at your desk.

onandon
    Free Member

Then work out how much you’ve earned while pissing.

jamj1974

I survive by creating micro-cultures. One for my team – where I can establish a positive environment for my team where looking after the dignity of others and maintaining a high degree of personal and professional integrity are non-negotiable. I then identify others who are are also willing to work in this way in the organisation and this means I can work with like-minded people to get the job done.

poolman
    Free Member

Having worked for 2 big companies there is no way i would ever go back, in fact every few years i have a dream, well nightmare really, i am back there. I miss the banter, salary and benefits and the first one had a brilliant coffee machine.

Some people are suited to it.

sglaw
    Free Member

I’m with wrecker I have to say. Unless you want to stay on past six months just shrug and get on with it. No point in getting bogged down in things that have probably been like that forever.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Christmas party soon nudge nudge wink wink

jekkyl

The monthly one to ones get me. Please document what you’ve done in your mundane job and place your witterings into each of the 6 boxes boxes that correspond to the 6 values of the company. Just Bullshit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Do you job to your best ability

Work hard

Smile

Be considerate to others

Err, that’s it

HansRey

I live with somebody who works for a mega corp and have had the opportunity to meet his colleagues. It’s obvious that a certain type of person works for that company. Boorish middle managers bickering about the minor differences between BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Other subjects include which brand of pen they have, how many suits they own and which airline provides the best lounges and in-flight Business Class perks. I think that the constant competition is what fundamentally irritates me.

I avoid talking about cars, pens, the rugger or holiday destinations.

I’ve found this to be helpful. http://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

tjagain

smile, nod and think of the money

and / or play bullshit bingo

http://www.bullshitbingo.net/cards/bullshit/

grahamt1980

How do you define megacorp?
    My company is nearly 100000 employees and about 24 billion in revenue.

I actually like working there, and i only ever wear a suit for an audit, yeah it systems can be a pain in the arse but the people make up for it

davidr

@wrecker has the right idea. Be nice, do the social things and ride it out. You may actually meet people you like.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haha . Hansrey so true

Blew my colleagues minds at mega corp when I had no interest In golf clubs , fancy new cars and the football.

Then there was the building of a car , the welding , the rebuilding of the house instead of buying a ready to move in 5 bedroom house 40miles from work so they can justify their fast car. Etc etc

I just follow wreckers approach with slight deviation if the management decisions will impact on my service delivery

gdm4

I work for a mega Corp and yes there are some clowns in there, but there are an equal number of cool people in there who the jobs just happen to suit. Not tarring everyone with the same brush maybe a good start.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Asked to do something stupid? Just do it. The shrug is a really great stress relief tool.

That.

I get paid to colour in, with highlighters…

To do permits, weekly, for the job I’m on, seriously, it takes me a day and a half. I do it because it’s what they want me to do. The permits are usually the same as last week’s and the week before but I still need to colour in new ones.

If I was employed by them I’d probably kick up a fuss but as I’m freelance, I love it. My nursery school teachers would be proud of me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You teach geog luke?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m a freelance engineer on with a major civil engineering company on a £200m project.

squirrelking
    Free Member

^This.

Except it’s sometimes hard to smile when you’re at the bottom of the heap.

MoreCashThanDash

Boorish middle managers bickering about the minor differences between BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Other subjects include which brand of pen they have, how many suits they own and which airline provides the best lounges and in-flight Business Class perks

Hang on, we’ve had threads on all these within recent memory 😆

Drac

It seems to be because people just do whatever they are told and not challenge bullshit.

DrJ

Not tarring everyone with the same brush maybe a good start.

This.

I’ve worked for a bigger mega-corp than you :-). And it’s full of lots of different sorts of people. Just like …. err ….. real life.

km79
    Free Member

One good thing about working in these large organisations is that there are plenty of places to hide. Get the right role, avoid the careerism and the muppets, keep your head down and you can skive away for years. Bliss.

bencooper
    Free Member

I went to work for a very large company right out of Uni, and it was just like that. I coped in various ways. I went on lots of training courses. I spent ages getting Doom to run on a mainframe. I went to a festival and got my ear pierced. Then I quit after 8 months 😉

CountZero

Boorish middle managers bickering about the minor differences between BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Other subjects include which brand of pen they have, how many suits they own and which airline provides the best lounges and in-flight Business Class perks

Sounds like an average day on here to me.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I hate it, I do less work in a week than I used to do in a day and know one batts an eye.

aP
    Free Member

Boorish middle managers bickering about the minor differences between BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Other subjects include which brand of pen they have, how many suits they own

I’d have to shoot myself, after shooting them of course, if I worked somewhere like that.
    Brand of pen? What does that mean, except that they never use one.

aP
    Free Member

m a freelance engineer on with a major civil engineering company on a £200m project.

Not that big then. 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Think about the money, if it’s not enough ask for more or quit. Do your job and don’t take it all too seriously, be glad it’s not your life

RustyNissanPrairie

Boorish middle managers bickering about the minor differences between BMW, Audi and Mercedes. Other subjects include which brand of pen they have, how many suits they own and which airline provides the best lounges and in-flight Business Class perks.

I find that listening to Huey Lewis helps……….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Avoid the moaners and the whingers who have been there for years, get on with your job and go with the flow. Most things happen for a reason so just get on with your job.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Buy an Aeropress for work and earn the respect of your peers.

TiRed

I get to do science and experiment on humans. And it keeps the Wolf from the door. I try and ignore the politics.

spacemonkey

Strong culture at my place of work, particularly here in the UK. 1.5m employees globally. Some truly exceptional teams and great people. Shockingly behind the times IT infrastructure for most front-end (and indeed many back-end) applications though. Very risk averse.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘How to survive corporate life?’ is closed to new replies.